IGNORED

HOW full is OVER-filled with Engine Oil on a 2nd Gen? (No, I mean REALLY!)

Semi-retired

OK, all you SUPER techie guys out there.

I consider myself a 7-8 outta 10 when it comes to wrenching, but there ARE certain things I haven't done 100 or more times......OR suffered bad consequences in a given subject area....so, I'm curious to know TWO THINGS......

1. How much overfilled IS the engine oil on a Gen2 if the level is at the TOP of the viewing window rather than the CENTER? Is it overfilled by 2oz? 6oz? 16oz?

2. What's the WORST thing (or two) that could happen if I don't go to the trouble of draining whatever that extra amount IS back OUTTA the engine after inadvertently putting in too much?

I KNOW what the "common knowledge", "rule of thumb" and "best practice" answer is....("always keep it in the middle).....but I'd like some REAL LIFE, fact-based, actual CONSEQUENCE responses, please, guys!

Alright. I'll go wash and wax it while the experts chime in! 🙂Thanks.

OK. I washed the bike, and I'm back. Not seeing a lot of scary warnings, so, either there ARE no super scary consequences......or all you guys are super careful about adding the fresh oil ONE OUNCE AT A TIME to be sure NOT to go over the half-way mark in the window. (Or, the dealer changes your oil for you and you never LOOK in the window! LOL)

Come on, Carl, YOU know everything: where do YOU sit on this?

Edited by Semi-retired
Probing for a Carl answer. :-)

As far as I have ever heard, when over filled the oil gets pulled into the air box and then spreads out where it can. It tends to make it6 look there is an oil leak on the left(side stand) side of the engine somewhere. I've not heard of actually damaging anything. I over filled my '83 once and it made a mess, but didn't hurt anything.

• Like 1

I filled my first bike past the midpoint a couple of times many years ago.  Stopped that after cleaning up the mess.  I took the air boxes off to get the oil puddles and then cleaned the left side of the engine.   Beyond the mess, I agree it probably doesn’t cause any harm.   If you ever have a fuel issue with a carb dumping fuel into the head and past the rings into the crankcase it would be hard to know if it’s already overfilled

1 hour ago, vzuden said:

If you ever have a fuel issue with a carb dumping fuel into the head and past the rings into the crankcase it would be hard to know if it’s already overfilled

To be honest, that was ONE of the reasons I posted this question: I've had this kind of recurring nightmare in which I imagine that the somewhat overpowering exhaust smell from my bike is due to burning oil; but I can't VERIFY that that's the cause because my oil level never diminishes in the viewing window.

But...and here's the REAL nightmare-ish part of it...it turns out that one of more of my carb floats are allowing gas to drain into my crankcase, so the oil level "appears" to be maintained...BUT it's with ever-more-thinning oil because it's diluted with more and more gasoline as time goes on.

Hence, the nightmare: oil level looks like it's fine.........but it would ACTUALLY be half oil/half fuel eventually, with a viscosity rating of about TWO!

I have taken a sample of potentially fuel contaminated oil on a screwdriver or similar (in other words a few drops) and put a flame to it.   If it lights up readily you can assume it has fuel in it but it should smell strongly of fuel too.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, vzuden said:

I have taken a sample of potentially fuel contaminated oil on a screwdriver or similar (in other words a few drops) and put a flame to it.   If it lights up readily you can assume it has fuel in it but it should smell strongly of fuel too.

Another way is to place a drop on some white paper the oil will spread slowly while the fuel will spread quickly so if your blot  has a lighter outer ring spreading out faster than the darker inner spot you likely have fuel in your oil.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great thoughts/ideas, guys.

As follow-up, I DID cast my fate to the wind and left the "extra" oil IN, (whatever amount that is that makes up the difference between the middle and the top of the glass)....and put about 500 kliks on over 3 rides in 5 days.....and I haven't seen any dire consequences.....so FAR! 

Mind you, I haven't pulled the air filters yet to have a look-see! I'll do that today; and if they're clean and dry, I think I'll "leave well enough alone" (as our parents all used to say!!)

Thanks again for the tips and tricks on analyzing engine for gasoline contamination.......WITHOUT having to engage a long distance lab fee!

Cheers from the great whit......er, hot North!

• Thanks 1

The oil in the overfill condition accumulates in the plastic plenums under the fuel tank.  And from there it leaks out and runs down the side of the engine.  I don’t recall ever having it in the actual air filters

Soory about that Semi. I was missing the last few days, but even so it seems that our fellow inmates have you covered off rather well. But in answer to your original question, I don't know for sure but would guess about 1/2 quart too full.

30 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Soory about that Semi. I was missing the last few days, but even so it seems that our fellow inmates have you covered off rather well. But in answer to your original question, I don't know for sure but would guess about 1/2 quart too full.

Let me guess, you got stuck on a road that had a u/turn at each end and couldn’t find the exit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are concerned about it, stick a tygon tube down the fill hole and syphon a little out.  Or use one of those hand held mity vacs if you have one.  I used a long tygon tube to syphon trans fluid out of my car when the dealer overfilled it.  It was easy to do.  My car has as dipstick tube, no dipstick came with it but it still had the tube.  Of course the after market came through for me with a dipstick.  

• Like 1

In my opinion, the HARM is the fact that with the crankcase overfilled, if you do have a float sticking in a Carb; you would never be able to detect it because the window is already overfilled with oil. If one day the sight glass is in the middle with oil, and a week later the sight glass is full, then according to Marcarl, there is half a quart of gas in your oil! Risky business, if you ask me. Crack the drain plug into a clean container, refill the crankcase to the proper level, and sleep better at night! Also keep in mind that "newbees" with their first Venture read these posts also! Let's not steer them down the wrong path. 

WOW! I feel like I am channeling the Pucster!!

Hey Michael, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I would hate to see you end up with an 800 pound paperweight because you scalded the bearings out of that motor because you didn't take 15 minutes and correct a simple mistake! I have a bike in the shop right now that the little brass washer on the middle gear cover was removed, and not replaced and the engine ran out of oil which caused the motor to seize up!!

Now this bike is a "Parts Bike" as a result. Simple oversight, causing catastrophic results. If I didn't love ya' brother, I wouldn't say a word!

Earl 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

In my opinion, the HARM is the fact that with the crankcase overfilled, if you do have a float sticking in a Carb; you would never be able to detect it because the window is already overfilled with oil. If one day the sight glass is in the middle with oil, and a week later the sight glass is full, then according to Marcarl, there is half a quart of gas in your oil! Risky business, if you ask me. Crack the drain plug into a clean container, refill the crankcase to the proper level, and sleep better at night! Also keep in mind that "newbees" with their first Venture read these posts also! Let's not steer them down the wrong path. 

WOW! I feel like I am channeling the Pucster!!

Hey Michael, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I would hate to see you end up with an 800 pound paperweight because you scalded the bearings out of that motor because you didn't take 15 minutes and correct a simple mistake! I have a bike in the shop right now that the little brass washer on the middle gear cover was removed, and not replaced and the engine ran out of oil which caused the motor to seize up!!

Now this bike is a "Parts Bike" as a result. Simple oversight, causing catastrophic results. If I didn't love ya' brother, I wouldn't say a word!

Earl 

Yep,,, me thinketh thou haseth some basque Gypsy blood in there somewhere @skydoc_17 cause I felt the channeling thing going on! Wouldn't have said what you said when you said any differently ya lop eared Gypsy varmint.