IGNORED

Tire wear - what to expect

TTrax

OK, got my weekend project lined out since it is going to be raining and cooler. I really was hoping that I wouldn't be doing this already, but it looks like it is past time for a rear tire on this bike. I changed it out at the beginning of the riding season last year and I haven't made it through this one yet and it is quite worn. Both front and back are Elite 4's, front tire wear is minimal.

I check them before every ride for tire pressure, trying to keep around 38 psi in the rear tire and around the same or as low as 36 in the front. I had switched from D404's in hopes of getting more miles out of them. It seems the D404's were getting around 6K miles and I just checked the mileage I got on the E4's and it is a shade over 7,500 miles.

I see quite a few people saying they are getting over 12-14K miles out of E4 tires, so not sure why my mileage is so much worse. I am thinking I am probably overloading them. My wife and I are no featherweights, I am around 260 lbs and she is a shade under 200. We usually have the luggage loaded up on longer trips but I don't think we are carrying over 30 lbs overall. 

I already have the local bike shop ready to change this one out with a D404 since the mileage difference hasn't been great enough to overcome the cost difference. Wondering if others have similar mileage or maybe I'm doing something wrong.?

Hope you all have a great weekend!

20220729_154909.jpg

20220729_154948.jpg

20220729_154955.jpg

The load your tires are carrying is a factor but another consideration is the condition of the roads.   Many don’t realize it but every little bump or even expansion joint causes a tire to lose, very briefly, contact with the road surface. When contacting again it grinds a little more rubber off.   Now add your load and maybe higher temperatures and it exaggerates it a little more.  

• Like 1

Very well could be it. They love chip and seal around here. I was thinking I would at least get twice the mileage out of the E4 tires but it was worth trying to see what would happen. Will probably just run with the 404's from now on. Thanks and have a good day everyone! 

That’s why I decided to try the darkside route, I was going through tires way too often. On MC tires I stayed away from the 404s, the labor involved outweighed the cost of better tires for me.  I’m not advocating car tires, they’re not for everyone but I love em. 2 or 3 tire changes a year was too much. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your paying for D404s but I never really like the ride of them on my '99 Venture.  I've had decent luck with Shinko 230 Tourmasters that use to be $90 but right now appear to be $115.  They have an 80 load rating, which is the higher end of the spectrum of what's available in the correct size for these bikes.  I'd get about 8-9k miles per rear.  There's also the 777 Heavy Duty available for slightly more money.  I've never spent a significant amount of time on one but they've had good reviews on here asl well.

Edited by BratmanXj
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input, will consider the Shinko next time and I have considered darksiding it but was concerned about handling. A don't carve corners much so might be worth consideration. 

I've gotten it down to where it takes about 30 minutes to take the wheel off and a little more to put it on. I have checked and it seems my usual mileage for a year varies around 3k to 6k. I would like to get 4 or more years out of a rear tire but thinking that might be only for the 120 lb guys riding solo with no luggage on perfect roads. 

Once again, thanks for all the advice! 

I have ran the 404 and my only issue with them is how poorly they handle road snakes and asphalt after the surface has been ground for resufacing. I have ran E2 E3 and currently E4 on my bike and have got great millage and handling from them approx 20k km / 12k miles. They do tend to loose cornering grip in their final days so that is something to be aware off. I also never had the road noise that so many seem to comment on with these tires.

• Like 1

With the E3's mostly highway I got around 30,000 km on a set.  That was 2-up (combine rider/passenger weight of about 310lbs).  After replacing the Bridgestone (OEM) tires that I only got about 8,000 km on I've used E3's.  Shame they are no longer available for our bike in the OEM sizes.

See this chart for load index (borrowed part of a document from Venturers).  Note Max Loads.

image.png.e077877e0a534570f53b964955f657e5.png

When I first got the bike, it had a Michelin Commander 2 and it lasted quite a while compared to anything else I have tried so maybe I might try it in the future. Thanks again for all the suggestions and will probably be trying some different brands in the future to determine which would be the best for me.

I took a ride this morning with my wife, who complained loudly of the heat but wanted to drive by some old place I had seen shortly after I had moved here. I don't know why but it is an enigma to me. Doesn't look like any house I have ever seen before and the fact that seems to be falling in on itself makes it even more intriguing. It seems much larger than most houses around here and out in the middle of no-where. I definitely would like to know the history but afraid of getting shot on sight when approaching the owner (a real possibility around here...). 

https://goo.gl/maps/EMHPXu1snqwX9kp19

On 8/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, djh3 said:

I got a little better miles out of the 777 vs the tourmaster. But the longest mileage tire I ran was a Michelin Commander 2. Over 15k. But they were pricey then and I havent looked one up for my Vic.

I get over 10k riding the Michelin Commander 2 on the rear. About 10k out of a 404 on the front. Wish the Commander was in a 150 for the front.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 6:12 PM, djh3 said:

I got a little better miles out of the 777 vs the tourmaster. But the longest mileage tire I ran was a Michelin Commander 2. Over 15k. But they were pricey then and I havent looked one up for my Vic.

Agreed. The 777HD has the ride comfort and stickiness of the 230 but built for heavier bikes. I'm about to put another 777 on the RSV rear. It's time.

I don't mind the price of the Commanders, but their wet handling is not what I want. The hard compound is great for some... But I want the ride and weather capability only a softer compound can give.

• Like 1