IGNORED

Flywheel/rotor/magnet issues

Hello all.

I have been a very silent member for years, as I have always been able to find the information I need very quickly in the discussions.  This group has always been polite,  friendly, and spot on with opinions and advice.  This one has me a bit stumped, as I can't find anyone who has had the same problem.  Please bear with my as I describe the diagnosis.

Note:  when I first got the bike it had a bad R/R so at that time I upgraded to a Shindingen MOSFET which has run like a champ. 

Over the years, I have had a few electrical gremlins that would pop up out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly.  I would get the usual stator/rectifier plug melting issue, but that would happen once or twice a year at random times.  When it did happen, everything would test out properly with no clues.  Eventually my suspicion pointed to maybe a bad stator, even though the PO claimed he had just installed a new one right before I bought the bike.  I know, red flag right there...

I finally decided to dive in and solve this issue once and for all.  This week I picked up a new HO Stator from Rick's (he is right near me here in NH) and popped the case off to make the swap.  Here is where the trouble starts.

The "new" stator was installed with a small bolt jammed between two windings (See the pics).  I have put 35K miles on the bike myself, so I am surprised that this issue didn't show up sooner, or manifest itself worse than it has so far. 

The stator appears to maybe have a third of the windings still working.  This has been enough to keep the bike running very well most of the time, but it still succumbs tot he occasional 'surprise' dead battery.

Close inspection of the trigger shows a discernible groove and what appears to be a crack along the side, so a new one is on the way. 

The inside edge of the flywheel is a thin layer of metal that is undoubtedly covering the magnets.  There is not much in the way of scratching, defects or carbon buildup on the face, but my finger does feel something of a 'ripple' in the metal as I run my finger round the inside.  It doesn't flex very much, and the 'steel screw' test indicate that the magnets remain very strong throughout the armature.  The face has no creases or deep bumps.  The shiny edge of the screw head does suggest that the imbedded screw spent some time wearing down, and it dragging along the cover caused it to crinkle just a bit.  There is every indication that I still have a gap between the winding ends and the magnet face.

I have scoured the boards and fora, but have seen very little discussion about flywheel/rotor/magnet issues.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you all and have a great day.

Richie

TOP VIEW.jpg

SIDE VIEW.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Richie C.

Just saw your post......whoa! A screw stuck in the stator. Never seen that before.

I would think a simple replacement of the stator is all you need to do. From your description and pictures.... All else should be good. But I'm not that well versed in stators....

I'm surprised no one else has pitched in to comment...... There are others here much more knowledge than I...

@Marcarl???

Edited by videoarizona
Sp