IGNORED

Sorry I can’t resist.

Pasta Burner

My first attempt with beer brats was last week.  Recipe said to cover and simmer.  They came out boiled and not good.  So my own take this week is to just slowly add beer and deglaze the pan and let them crisp up on the skin.  First round went well!  Now for that onion jam gravy at the end.  FYI this is also how I’d like to cook on an MC trip.939F500E-6C9C-4C1B-BAEB-E866987771E8.thumb.jpeg.987f82f698c2a86ebfedc7fbff0ab8d7.jpegB498B3B7-BB86-479D-93A5-591D0A9AE2D3.thumb.jpeg.3fc1616c16e683862d5f89c9815180a8.jpeg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@bpate4home did you splatchcock and pan roast?  

First one is spatchcocked and then Seasoned (however you want) place on a bed of potatoes, carrots, green beans or other vegetables. I do this in a 12" cast Iron and cook the vegetables for about 45 - 60 minutes before adding the chicken on top.  Keep the grill or smoker at about 225 - 250 and it takes about another 2.5 hours.  All that great chicken fat and the seasonings cover the vegetables. I also like to add a lot of smashed garlic. Also, I have seasoned the vegetables first which works well too.   

The second, Split along the rib cage and back then butterfly close to the neck.  Season to taste and cook over medium coals turning as needed.  I then I like to use several layers of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. 

Edited by bpate4home
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pellet Smoker Tube Stainless Steel 12 Inches 5 Hours Of Billowing Smoke For All Grill Electric Gas Charcoal Or Grill Smoke...

We bought one of these last year. Nice thing about it is that you can smoke without adding any heat. We have a Traeger pellet grill, but although it does well it didn't give me enough smoke for my liking. With this you can cold smoke, so cheese is now also in the running. Fish turns out amazing. Caution though, in order to best best effective your grill needs to be blocked at the top, so the upper vent needs to be below the grill itself, or you will have to block it off with some tinfoil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Pellet Smoker Tube Stainless Steel 12 Inches 5 Hours Of Billowing Smoke For All Grill Electric Gas Charcoal Or Grill Smoke...

We bought one of these last year. Nice thing about it is that you can smoke without adding any heat. We have a Traeger pellet grill, but although it does well it didn't give me enough smoke for my liking. With this you can cold smoke, so cheese is now also in the running. Fish turns out amazing. Caution though, in order to best best effective your grill needs to be blocked at the top, so the upper vent needs to be below the grill itself, or you will have to block it off with some tinfoil.

I've got one of those too.  Don't use it every time but absolutely when I want more smoke.

4 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Were did you get it from?

LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches - 5 Hours of Billowing Smoke - for Any Grill or Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking - An Easy and Safe Way to Provide Smoking - Free eBook Grilling Ideas and Recipes https://a.co/d/2UYAczX

found this on Amazon.  4.5 stars with 12k reviews can’t be wrong.  Thanks guys I had never seen this before and always want more smoke!

• Like 1

Kris and I did a whole chicken, split with our garden vegetables(turnips, zucchini, carrots, broccoli and cherry tomatoes) today in our Instant Pot air fryer. Basically followed bpate4home's spatchcocked recipe with Himalayan pink salt, fresh groung black pepper, fresh grown thyme and basil and powdered garlic. 

Quick prep and delicious!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RDawson said:

I’ve always heard this is an eating club with a motorcycle disorder, how many biker groups discuss smoking ………….meat? That being said I bought a 13lb brisket this week, throwing it in the smoker soon. 

I can’t seem to make brisket work.  I’ve got a full packer in the freezer just waiting for an occasion. But it never turns out great.  OK but not Great.  I’ve done the cooler stall trick, I’ve just waited out the stall but for all the work and time I’ve always been beaten.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

I can’t seem to make brisket work.  I’ve got a full packer in the freezer just waiting for an occasion. But it never turns out great.  OK but not Great.  I’ve done the cooler stall trick, I’ve just waited out the stall but for all the work and time I’ve always been beaten.

Low, slow, consistent temp, The mantra of southern BBQ’rs. Smoke at a steady 225* with a pan of water in the smoker to reduce the stall. Cook til 160 internal, pull it and wrap it in foil. Put back in til 200*, pull it and put in a cooler to rest at least an hour. 

While smoker is warming trim the fat cap to 1/4” or less, trim all other fat and silver skin off. Rub brisket with mustard for a binder, use salt and black pepper for the seasoning. plan for 1hr per pound cook time. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Low, slow, consistent temp, The mantra of southern BBQ’rs. Smoke at a steady 225* with a pan of water in the smoker to reduce the stall. Cook til 160 internal, pull it and wrap it in foil. Put back in til 200*, pull it and put in a cooler to rest at least an hour. 

While smoker is warming trim the fat cap to 1/4” or less, trim all other fat and silver skin off. Rub brisket with mustard for a binder, use salt and black pepper for the seasoning. plan for 1hr per pound cook time. 

Sounds about right, at least for the first time anyways. From there a feller can create once he's got a bit of a handle on things. Can't rush good cookin.

2 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Sounds about right, at least for the first time anyways. From there a feller can create once he's got a bit of a handle on things. Can't rush good cookin.

Plain n simple to me is the best brisket. We get real creative on pork butts and loins. We dry rub with an array of ingredients and smoke em the same way. We never and I mean NEVER let our ribs touch boiling water like some. Now southern BBQ sauce is altogether different. Vinegar based, spiced up, and scrumptious. 

• Like 1