IGNORED

Help... looking to buy 2000 Venture and need input beforehand

byekryam

Hey all, used to be a member here long time ago for my old Ventures (87 - 92).  Right now I have revived a 2001 Goldwing and after riding it, though it satisfies all my needs, I'm not happy with it.  Feels like I'm riding on top of it and squished into the cockpit.

I'm looking at a 2000 Venture with 88 k miles.  The miles don't scare me too much knowing these bikes go for a long time, but there are other issues.  The tiny fairing doesn't give my hands enough wind protection (as I ride all year long).  Do they make aftermarket hand protectors that fit on this bike?  There doesn't look like there's enough handlebar room to mount anything nor does the fairing look conducive to any type of an airwing.  Also the back of the engine cylinder is extremely hot and right up against your crotch and leg.  Are there any guards that can be installed to guard your body from this heat?  Also, the front end feels really "heavy" on this bike, especially on slow movement.  Is this normal?  Also, what size person is this bike made for?  The person had a back rest on the bike and I couldn't just remove it to try the bike, and it pushed me up forward quite a bit.  When the back rest is removed, how much more room does this push you back?  I'm 6' 1".  I know I have to remove the front cruise pegs as it interferes with my shifting foot.  Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated as I need to make a decision on whether to go ahead with the purchase or not.  Thanks

Woody

• Like 1

The backrest should have some type of adjustment screw, usually under the pouch if there is one, which will allow it to go back some. It’s a top heavy bike and you will need to get used to it. It really isn’t that bad and you can add a 130 front tire for easier steering although my personal preference was the 150. Baker used to make a deflector for the lowers as well as Yamaha. Hard to find now. Clearview makes a wider windshield that will help a little with the wind. 

• Thanks 1

Woody,

The heat issue you mention... bothers me. I've had my 2nd gen for 4 years now and live in Arizona. I don't have an excessive amount of heat from rear cylinders. Nothing really bothered me. In general, engine heat is quite tolerable due to being water cooled. The amount of heat is similar to the 1st Gen that I also owned(you as well). Suggest maybe look into the cooling system and see if everything is good???

That said...I did find some lower reflectors to give me air on my legs but as mentioned, they are hard to find. I got them just to cool off from Arizona road heat. I mounted mine on the lower part of engine guard. 

I moved my trunk back about 2 inches. You can do so easily enough. It's posted on here as others have done it. That also moved the pillion seat's back rest back. I then bought a Grasshopper back rest for me and bent the mounting bracket so I could lean back further. Works well. Lots of room for me now in cockpit. 

The front end is heavy. It's by design. Gives excellent straight line tracking at highway speeds. To mitigate some of that, I lowered the front end about an inch. This changed the geometry enough to make Steering a touch lighter. And didn't hurt the tracking at all. All I did was raise both forks up in the triple tree. Simple. I documented that somewhere on this site. I think it's the best solution since it doesn't hurt straight line tracking. 

I have never seen any hand protectors. However, you could go to a shop that specializes in track or overland riding. Maybe find a pair that will mount to the mirror nut and still look decent.

The only other thing I'll mention is the gearing isn't as good as the 1st gen. With both 4th and 5th as overdrive gears, you will find yourself staying in 4th most of the time around towns. I rarely shift into 5 the until 70...

And being a bit longer gearing, starts are more clutch involved as well.

But you get used to all this after a while. Same great engine. Same realiability. Not at much weather protection as the 1st Gen but still decent about 40 mph. Only my knees get wet now!

Hope this helps...

David

26605.jpeg

IMG_20150815_103552_862.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
Spelling, of course!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also raise the back end about an inch, which shifts the weight to the front a bit.   I did it years ago and did notice a handling difference.   These bikes take a bit of practice for low speed turns and such, but with a bit of thought and practice, they're pretty easily tamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@byekryam here is our (my wife and I) experience on @videoarizona's 2nd Gen.  It does take some practice but no different than any other bike IMHO. Vaz can tell you what he had altered on his 2nd Gen before we did this test cause I have no clue. I will also attach a slow ride vid of my wife (Tip) and I on our 1st Gen to compare. Hope this helps some in your decision making. Puc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, all great ideas.  I think I'm going to move forward buying one.  The one I looked at today didn't work out as it was above my budget and the owner wouldn't budge on price.  There might be another one which might be more in my price range.  I have to contact them and set something up.

One of my questions was definitely answered above by RDawson as he's 1" taller than me and says he's comfortable on this bike.

My other question is - Is buying one of these bikes at 80 K miles a good idea?  As I said before I think it is given my last experience with 1st generation models (thanks Cowpuc for the great memories - mine was the gen after that but very similar)), but what do you guys say regarding these 2nd gen models?  Reading online one author states 40 K is considered high mileage for these bikes while other authors say what I say that they last forever.  What sayest you??????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, byekryam said:

Thanks everyone, all great ideas.  I think I'm going to move forward buying one.  The one I looked at today didn't work out as it was above my budget and the owner wouldn't budge on price.  There might be another one which might be more in my price range.  I have to contact them and set something up.

One of my questions was definitely answered above by RDawson as he's 1" taller than me and says he's comfortable on this bike.

My other question is - Is buying one of these bikes at 80 K miles a good idea?  As I said before I think it is given my last experience with 1st generation models (thanks Cowpuc for the great memories - mine was the gen after that but very similar)), but what do you guys say regarding these 2nd gen models?  Reading online one author states 40 K is considered high mileage for these bikes while other authors say what I say that they last forever.  What sayest you??????

You are welcome on the mems @byekryam,,, what sayest I? I sayest 40k is just getting broken in IF the bike has been maintained.. Personally, I have seen bikes with wayyyy less than 10k miles that were totally trashed from abuse.. 250/300k is not an unreasonable life expectation from one of these great big gorgeous V-4 Yam's of any year IMHO

• Thanks 1

I've got 68,000 on mine and hoping to take off to Asheville next month. Runs great, no oil usage, and like setting on the couch. I hope to get another 150-200K out of it. I retire in a couple weeks and plan to run the wheels off of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, (and not on the right forum to ask this...  LOL) what other bike would I look for to replace my Wing?  The BMW (K1200LT) is too expensive to maintain, the Harley (FLH) is not an "everyday" bike, the Voyager is nice but I don't want the big engine for gas mileage reasons (especially right now), and the Indian bagger is too expensive.....  I don't think there's other bikes out there with the wind protection, comfort, and carrying capacity that I need

• Like 1

By the way everyone, that first bike I looked at was a 2000 MM limited with 88 K miles in pretty decent shape.  The blue book value according to online sources said it was worth $2,700.00.  What would be the max I should pay for it if I were to decide to change my mind?

Plus, what would a 2004 regular Venture with 80 K with slight road rash on front fairing be worth?  (still trying to figure out how that happened without road rash to rest of bike - I'm guessing maybe it fell over against a concrete wall or something, otherwise there would be more damage to other parts of the bike)

This will give me an idea of gauging  other bike prices as I go along as I don't have a lot of experience with pricing these 2nd gen bikes.

Thanks

• Like 1

Oooohhh, a 2000 MM.  Beautiful bike.

I have the 2000 red one - it's faster - with 160k miles.  Would trust jumping on it tomorrow and heading to California.

You should be able to get a >100k Gen 2 for $2500 or so.  My son picked up a 2007 with 45k miles for under $3k last year.  They are out there.

But to be fair, if you're going to have the bike for 5 or 10 years, what does a couple of hundred bucks matter?  Buy what puts a smile on your face.

RR

• Like 2

I have a 2012 with around 116,000klms and have only changed half plate in rear of clutch to full on (mostly slipping a bit as everyone says I tow trailers a lot  have home-made utility and a Time Out tent trailer) also did valve check and only one was a little tight. SO you should have no problems as long as maintenance was properly done like @cowpuc said!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Woody,

Glad to see you back! I did a quick search on "The Marketplace" and found a few that would be worth looking at.

02', 34K: $3800.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1306445940160832/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0bc7a572-6c3f-47c5-85b1-300f1982c521

99', 49K $3200.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/776268213529373/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0bc7a572-6c3f-47c5-85b1-300f1982c521

99' 79K $3500.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334332262202738/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0bc7a572-6c3f-47c5-85b1-300f1982c521

99' 69K $3300.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/554932786275668/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0bc7a572-6c3f-47c5-85b1-300f1982c521

06', 45K $3500.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/748285946515624/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0bc7a572-6c3f-47c5-85b1-300f1982c521

The last one I listed, The 2006 with 45K looks to be a real nice bike! I realize a few of these bikes would be a drive, but there are bikes out there within 150 miles of you that would give you a very good value for the time and money you would spend on them. As we get closer to the end of the riding season here on the North East Coast, the prices are going to go DOWN, or can be dickered down IMHO! If you waited a few months, you could EASILY save $500 to $1000 on ANY of the bikes I have listed, and I am SURE there would be many more listed at that time of the year.

Give it some thought Woody, and all the best on your search for your next "New To You" scoot!

Earl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Earl,

Thanks, I really appreciate the leads!  I have an appointment already set up for tomorrow night for one which is absolutely within my budget, but will keep these in case that falls through.  A few I've already seen but as you say, were a bit of a drive.  Let's see what happens...

Thanks again,

Wood  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, all said and done, because of finances and situation and because the owner dropped the price closer into my budget range, I went and purchased the 2000 I was looking at.  I had originally walked away, but in the end it worked out.  I certainly would have liked one of the newer or less mileage bikes suggested or that I've seen, but it just wasn't in the cards right now.  Thanks everyone for all the help.

That being said, this was a shot in the dark knowing whether it was going to be the "right bike" especially after working 5 months on the Goldwing and not liking it in the end.  But after about two weeks or so, I have to say I really do like this bike.  It's not the fastest bike.  It's not the most powerful bike.  Actually I think it's a bit of a dawg given the smaller engine on the heavy bike, but all in all it fits like a glove and does everything I need it too.  I'm really enjoying it.

One quick question.... I read an article on here from waaaaay back and they said there's a "special" kind of engine additive that might quiet the normal squeal these bikes sometimes present with.  I looked it up but the company doesn't seem to advertise it anymore.  I don't want to start changing trans baskets right now, but I would like to see if the additive would make any kind of a reduction.  Can anyone suggest a more current special oil additive that I might try that might give me a bit of a muffling of this squeal?

Thanks

IMG_7461.jpg

Edited by byekryam
Include pic

Remember to let her wind. If you ride it like a twin it’ll be a dawg as you said. Cruising rpms up around 4,000. Put her in second or third and bounce it off the limiter, you’ll quickly find the power. Stay out of 5th below 65 mph. 

• Thanks 1