IGNORED

Helmet question

RDawson

When I started riding again several years ago I had to make the concession to wear a helmet to keep the other half happy. We’ve been using 3/4 helmets so we can ride with the shield open and drink on the road. With our recent incident she’s mentioning full face, that kills being able to have a drink. I’ll go modular before full face. I typed all that to ask if anybody is familiar with the HJC I90 modular, the weight isn’t much more than our 3/4s. 

Ronnie,

I used to think brands mattered as a #1 priority. Brand is important but the shape of your head vs different brands is much more so! Different brands fit oval heads better.... And narrow heads... And round heads.

I found out by going to my local Cycle Gear and let the sales person check my head out.... Seriously!

HJC fits my head well... So it's a brand I look at. 

I also don't worry to much about noise as I wear earplugs or noise reducing ear buds. What's more important to me is how strong is the latch that closes the modular and how easy is it to raise/lower the clear shield and sun shields. I like the pin lock on mine.. Very easy to swap shields. 

Comfort and usability are top on the list for me....

Hope this helps!

P.S. my current helmet is HJC. I also found the Scorpions EXO helmets fit me well. 

Edited by videoarizona
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

Ronnie,

I used to think brands mattered as a #1 priority. Brand is important but the shape of your head vs different brands is much more so! Different brands fit oval heads better.... And narrow heads... And round heads.

I found out by going to my local Cycle Gear and let the sales person check my head out.... Seriously!

HJC fits my head well... So it's a brand I look at. 

I also don't worry to much about noise as I wear earplugs or noise reducing ear buds. What's more important to me is how strong is the latch that closes the modular and how easy is it to raise/lower the clear shield and sun shields. I like the pin lock on mine.. Very easy to swap shields. 

Comfort and usability are top on the list for me....

Hope this helps!

D

HJC has been our helmet of choice for the same reason, the 3/4s are HJC. Fitment and weight are an issue for us, we both have some neck issues. It’s amazing how one pound extra affects me. HJC are also more affordable than some others but with a good safety history. Not interested in those $59 modulars on ebay. Truth be told I’ll probably stick with 3/4, to the dismay of Dr. Daughter. She’s been trying to park me or get me in full face for a few years. I’m often reminded of my age, mileage on my bones, etc from her. 

I like my modular. It's pretty nice for a three year old helmet!

If your have a store you can try one on and walk around for an hour or so... That would be best bet to see if the weight will get to you. 

Keeping family happy as we age and keep riding is imperative!!!

Lol!

My better half didn't ride anymore and it's asking me when I'm going to retire from riding. I did satisfy her by selling my 89 to @KICs son. It was just to fast for me... My right wrist just kept twisting and twisting!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

I like my modular. It's pretty nice for a three year old helmet!

If your have a store you can try one on and walk around for an hour or so... That would be best bet to see if the weight will get to you. 

Keeping family happy as we age and keep riding is imperative!!!

Lol!

My better half didn't ride anymore and it's asking me when I'm going to retire from riding. I did satisfy her by selling my 89 to @Kicker

Do you know the model of yours? I don’t use ear plugs so noise does matter for me, one of the reasons I’m asking for input. We’re gonna go try some on this week but we’ll have to travel some to do it. There’s only one shop here and it’s limited. 

I wonder if cycle gear's web site offers returns on helmets if you order and it doesn't work for you?

Thinking out loud here. I won't be home until sometime next week. Having massive engine work done on truck. AFM issue with GM's 6.2 caught up with me. Thought I had gone past that with 124k miles, but guess not!

I can check my helmets then...

Edited by videoarizona
  • Thanks 1

Dennis Kirk will allow you to return helmets and they pay shipping.  

I ordered a helmet from Bike Bandit one time and it didn't fit and had to pay about $32 to ship it back and then they almost didn't give me a refund saying there was a sticker missing.  I told them to check the box because everything was in the box and they finally agreed to refund my money.  That is when I stopped shopping at Bike Bandit and it seems that was a very good idea.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the I90 is what my grandson and his girlfriend use I'll check to be sure and he was telling me the other day how mush they both liked them, because I had mentioned that ours are getting old. 

There isn't much of a selection in helmets at the two motorcycle dealers where I live (Honda/Suzuki and Harley) and most of them are black.  Black helmets in the summer seem to me a bad idea for heat and visibility.  

Marca and I decided to get the same helmets some time ago. We liked the grey color, so started with that, liked the HJC so added that to the list. Went to our local dealer and tried on the two they had, mediums were the choice. Hers fit right, mine didn't. We exchanged the units with each other and now neither was comfortable. Went to another dealer who had 4 of the right choice. One fit right, the others didn't. They said: no problem, come back next week and we will have 4 more for you to try. We did and they did. So all the helmets were HJC medium, silver color, 3\4s. Out of 12 'identical' helmets we found two to be comfortable, but hers is not comfortable for me or vice versa. I find it interesting how those thingies all come out of the same mold but are all different somehow.

while trying to order inserts for my in-laws helmet I found the inserts were specific to the size helmet but could be think or thin for the same helmet which may explain why some fit different. 

2 hours ago, Woody said:

while trying to order inserts for my in-laws helmet I found the inserts were specific to the size helmet but could be think or thin for the same helmet which may explain why some fit different. 

According to what I read on the HJC website smal thru large used the same shell, padding thickness adjusted the fit size. XL and up used another sized shell. 

Plus one on trying them on.   As already stated, the manufacturers make them for the various head shapes.   I was educated on this at an IMS Cycle show in Chicago two helmets ago.  I went there with all my research involving reviews and weights etc.   All set to purchase a model I no longer recall.   The guy working the International Market Place where they displayed products and did not sell obliged me by letting me experience the fit of my intended model.  He was 100% correct, it was not the helmet for me.  He told me which one was going to fit my head but again, let me try others.  He knew his helmets and I was not surprised as I had eavesdropped a little while waiting for him to finish with another patron.  

His recommendation for me was Shoei and it fit perfectly.  I use the modular and replace them every five years so come to think about it, I am about due for another.

• Thanks 1

You might want to look at the Web Bike World website, https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ ,  as they do reviews on different helmets and give their thoughts on what head types the helmets will fit the best one.  I have used them for when I go helmet shopping and have thought they were right on. It would be a good place to start and maybe narrow down your search.

For me I have an older Nolan N-104 modular helmet. I wear glasses and found that the modular made it easier to deal with them then a full face.  I also remove my helmet shield and carry it with me in the saddle bag as well as a yellow tint one for night driving. I found the yellow helps with the bright headlights and starring issue I get around them and street lights at night. With the windshield and Wing like vent I have in it, I find I ride more comfortable with the shield off plus the Nolan as the built in dark shield for my eyes if need.

I been thinking of getting a new one as my is at least 7 years old but sits in the garage with my bike when not being ridden or in the basement when the season is over up here in Minnesota.

Hope this helps

Rick F.

I concur with what has been said here: try on helmets and wear them awhile. We have the hjc helmets as well and really like them. The only thing is that if you want to take a drink going down the highway, when you flip up the chin guard, it catches the wind and jerks your head back!😟

I also have had to try different helmets over the years as for shape of head. Mine seems to be oblong (ready for comment) which most helmets try to push against forehead causing headache. So top name brand models are too tight (explained to me that they are designed for European  people) so tried HJC model CL-MAX 3 which I bought at Pioneer Sports in New York State around Orleans  and had help from sales person on fit. It is a 2018 model so not sure if it is available but fits great! It is a modular as I also wear glasses and is great taking off and on plus can take drink if needed without stopping. Like everything it depends on your fit and style that is for you!

If you are needing a long oval for forehead clearance, there are a few selections.  LS2 has a complete line of oval and long oval in FF and modular that are very reasonably priced.  Order one size up from what you wear in HJC.  Also, the Arai SignetX is a long oval but expensive - FF only.

Motorcyclegear.com has excellent customer service and will exchange for a different size.  They often have last year's models on sale.  Revzilla (they also own CycleGear) also has good customer service.

As for getting a drink, set up a Camelback and use a right angle bit valve.  It fits easily inside a FF helmet.  Attach the bit valve end of the hose to a retractable key holder mounted where you can reach it.

RR

We spent the day driving around a few dealers and tried on several helmets, both 3/4 and modular. I like the 3/4 HJC i30  and the Scorpion EXO930 modular. Being unfamiliar with Scorpion I’ve read several reviews that are making me lean that way. I think this helmet will make wife an Dr. Daughter happy. They did run small so we have to move up a size, the issue right now is the one color/size we want is out of stock. It’s very comfortable, chin bar and visor work smooth and lock in place well. The chin bar is removable to use as a 3/4 when preferred.  It has the drop down (fighter pilot) sun shade, I’m looking to see if that lens is available in yellow since I wear sunglasses anyway. Priced around $250 it’s not real expensive. I really like HJC 3/4s but didn’t like any of their modulars, felt like my head was in a vise.

We liked the look of the LS helmets with the chin bar flipping all the way back and out of the airflow but it just wasn’t comfortable for us. 

Edited by RDawson

19 minutes ago, larrydr said:

I went to half helmet  with a leather fit to the base of the skull ...So far after about a 3 hour ride I like the helmet 

Oh boy, I can just imagine my life if I came home with a 1/2 helmet!!!!  Dr daughter’s first call on the ambulance during pre-med was an over the bars faceplant (1/2helmet).  She’s been on me since then to quit riding, seems the visible brain matter made an impression on her. Now she’s in the ER she sees worse. While we know and I’m sure she does too, choice of helmet probably made no difference in the outcome of that wreck.  it makes her and the wife feel better with more helmet. I’ll take the hit and wear a lid to make them happy. Daughter called to say hi while we were shopping, mom told her what we were doing and she instantly replied “one with a full face, right?”  Not too happy with my incident last week with open face. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RDawson said:

Oh boy, I can just imagine my life if I came home with a 1/2 helmet!!!!  Dr daughter’s first call on the ambulance during pre-med was an over the bars faceplant (1/2helmet).  She’s been on me since then to quit riding, seems the visible brain matter made an impression on her. Now she’s in the ER she sees worse. While we know and I’m sure she does too, choice of helmet probably made no difference in the outcome of that wreck.  it makes her and the wife feel better with more helmet. I’ll take the hit and wear a lid to make them happy. Daughter called to say hi while we were shopping, mom told her what we were doing and she instantly replied “one with a full face, right?”  Not too happy with my incident last week with open face. 

My Mother in Law was a secretary in the ER.  Me riding while I was dating her daughter was fine. Once we got married the BS started that we were going to die and that a helmet wouldn't help us.  I finally got rude with her one day and walked out. My Father-in-law had a discussion with her and my wife. No issues since then. I've only heard a couple stories about what he said to them but he was pretty hard on them. Smart Man he was. 

Anyway, I wore a half helmet for about 10 - 12 years. I developed Tinnitus after a 12 hour ride in very windy conditions. Several of us had this happen on this ride.  We all wore half helmets. I loved it for the airflow down here in Houston.  Then I started using a Cardo comm system and was putting in pocket holders over my ear for the speakers. Just recently went with an Aria Full helmet. Not cheap but it was the only one that fit my big odd shaped head. It's a little hot at times but overall very comfortable. 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, RDawson said:

I know very well what head injuries are are , and it is no laughing matter ...In 1978 I fell 20 feet to a concrete floor , fractured my skull in 4 places ,broke my neck , collar bone , 4 ribs , L5 in spine , fractured  my pelvis , broke one arm .. 2 years in recovery ..I lost all memory for 3 weeks ..Had  surgery on my head 5 times  with implants to keep my head together ...A regular size helmet is to heavy for my neck as drives my neck into a bunch of pain ....It is only by the Grace of GOD that I am still alive today ..

• Like 1