IGNORED

Here’s a good one for ya.

RDawson

Yesterday Kandi and I took the bike to Paducah to see my chiropractor and get an alignment and tune up on my old back, temps in the 80s and sunny so we took the scenic route home. Didn’t get there. We were tooling along on a two lane 55-60mph not a car in sight when a large bird came out of the ditch into my windshield. All I saw was a blur as it came up and then had a windshield in my mouth. Spent the afternoon getting root canals and temporary crowns put on my front upper teeth. She didn’t have a clue what happened, said she heard a noise, saw something fly over her head ( windshield) and saw me set up straight on the bars. As I was pulling in a driveway she’s asking if everything is ok, told her it broke my teeth as I got off, that’s when she saw we lost the shield. Going back tomorrow to get the bike and see if there’s any more damage. We called the insurance agent today who is a friend of ours and she said she’s done lots of deer hits but never birds, it’s my second bird strike. 35 years ago riding without a windshield or helmet  I had a bird break my nose. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Well at a minimum I’m sure glad you’re fixed and healthy enough to type the tale.  I hit a bird with my Wrangler probably 18 years ago I saw it coming and distinctly remember it’s wing stretched across the windshield.  I was shocked and felt bad but was thankful no damage and I think the bird flew off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Corporal Newkirk! Soooo glad the two of you are ok and the physical damage to your body isnt any worse! Sounds like the two of were blessed big time! Hope the bike isn't to bad. Don't feel alone Ronnie, life likes to give me the bird once in a while too. I think its normal for us bikers who enjoy living life large brother,, sort of keeps us on our toes if you will. Puc

P.S. - you should go back and see if you can find the bird.. It would be interesting to see what it was. If you folks have an abundance of turkey down yonder that would be my guess. Those things love hanging out on the roadways here and scaring people. They are excellent eating if you deep fry them in peanut oil but taste terrible uncooked, as you aready knew.. Love you! 

• Thanks 1

5  years ago a couple of us were riding to our club rally when a small flock of black birds were on the shoulder of the highway came up and flew right into my face breaking my glasses ..I was fortunate that I had no serious injuries ...I had one sore eye for a couple of days and had to buy a new set of glasses ..I  was able to maintain control of the bike at about 65 miles per hour ...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RDawson said:

Yesterday Kandi and I took the bike to Paducah to see my chiropractor and get an alignment and tune up on my old back, temps in the 80s and sunny so we took the scenic route home. Didn’t get there. We were tooling along on a two lane 55-60mph not a car in sight when a large bird came out of the ditch into my windshield. All I saw was a blur as it came up and then had a windshield in my mouth. Spent the afternoon getting root canals and temporary crowns put on my front upper teeth. She didn’t have a clue what happened, said she heard a noise, saw something fly over her head ( windshield) and saw me set up straight on the bars. As I was pulling in a driveway she’s asking if everything is ok, told her it broke my teeth as I got off, that’s when she saw we lost the shield. Going back tomorrow to get the bike and see if there’s any more damage. We called the insurance agent today who is a friend of ours and she said she’s done lots of deer hits but never birds, it’s my second bird strike. 35 years ago riding without a windshield or helmet  I had a bird break my nose. 

Good to hear your made through the event .. I know that birds can do a lot of damage when they come up of the ground from the ditch or side of the road combined with speed you are traveling at ..

• Thanks 1

I think having the X-Screen windshield attachment probably made it worse than it could’ve been. It created a an edge for the bird to catch on and pulled the shield out instead of it just glancing off the top of the shield. Think I’m gonna order a Clearview this time. I really like the X-Screen, it did a great job of clearing turbulence and still sat well below my line of sight. As much as I liked it the taste of it in my mouth was terrible. I also broke my helmet shield but being a straight on hit the bike never wavered, just rode it straight out until I found a driveway. 
I hope I can get a new windshield quickly, we have a trip planned in a couple weeks to celebrate my retirement before school starts and she has to go back to work. 

Glad your all OK.  I've hit multiple crows and one duck.  The duck it was about 5 years ago while my wife was learning to ride.  I was behind her on my gen 2 at about 30 - 35. She spooked the duck. It came up and all I could see and feel was it's wing across my face. I was wearing a half helmet at the time. Scared the crap out of me  but it gave us nothing more than a good laugh. 

• Thanks 1

Scary tale there! Glad they were able to patch you up.  I watched a riding buddy take out a rather large bird with his cheek at 60 mph! The bird exploded into a cloud of feathers and darn near knocked him out, he was able to get the bike stopped safely too.

• Thanks 1

Went and installed an old shield yesterday and rode it home. Took the front end apart and found minimal damage to the fairing. One screw hole on the outer broke out around a windshield screw and the inner flanges broke where the shield bracket bolts to it. From what I understand mine was one of the few that hadn’t broken at the bracket bolts. More of the tabs on the chrome strip under the shield broke. Insurance took pics, we’ll see where that goes. Talked to Clearview, they are good on stock so I’ll order the shield soon. Teeth are healing and tightening well, pain has been minimal. Really the worst part is eating canned soup and apple sauce watching wife n kid eat pizza🤣🤣

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:01 AM, RDawson said:

Went and installed an old shield yesterday and rode it home. Took the front end apart and found minimal damage to the fairing. One screw hole on the outer broke out around a windshield screw and the inner flanges broke where the shield bracket bolts to it. From what I understand mine was one of the few that hadn’t broken at the bracket bolts. More of the tabs on the chrome strip under the shield broke. Insurance took pics, we’ll see where that goes. Talked to Clearview, they are good on stock so I’ll order the shield soon. Teeth are healing and tightening well, pain has been minimal. Really the worst part is eating canned soup and apple sauce watching wife n kid eat pizza🤣🤣

Put the pizza through the blender, it'll still eat.

Glad your feeling somewhat better.

• Haha 1