IGNORED

Truck Update

Freebird

What a roller coaster this has been.  As you know, a while back Eileen wrecked my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.  The day of the wreck, it got towed to a local body shop.  The next day, the insurance company called to tell me that they were sure that it wasn't totaled.  They wanted to know where I wanted the work done and arranged to have it towed there.  A couple hours later, they called again and told me that they had decided that it was totaled so they had cancelled the plans to tow it to my body shop and were instead towing it to, I think it was called IAA Auctions where it would be sold.  So I then spent the next three days frantically searching for a new truck.  Nobody within 300 miles had one one the lot.  All the "incoming inventory" said "Sold" or "Sale Pending".  I finally found a dealer who had what I wanted but it wasn't even showing "In bound" yet but had a build date that day.  They said if I wanted it, they need a $1,000.00 non-refundable deposit on it.  So, I placed the deposit and the wait began.  Then on Monday, the insurance company called and said that their adjuster at the auction site had determined that there was only about $11,000.00 damage and that was not near enough to total it so they were towing it back to my body shop.  So then I had a decision to make.  The truck was pretty badly wrecked.  Did I want to keep it or what.  I decided to go ahead and buy the new one and would just sell my current truck after it was finally repaired.  So I never cancelled my order.  I got a call two days ago that my truck had shipped and was on it's way to my dealer.   I haven't been give a date but I expect it will still be another 3 or so weeks,.  It's somewhere on a train now and will eventually be put on a truck for the rest of the journey.

So that's that.  Right? Wrong.,  I got a call from my insurance company yesterday letting me know that when they got the truck to the body shop and up on a rack, they determined that the damage was much worse than they thought.  So they have now officially totaled the truck and are towing it back to the auction site,.  They offered me a settlement, which was honestly more than I expected.  I have accepted it so am now back on track and don't have to worry about selling what I know was a pretty badly wrecked vehicle.  I was considering just trying to wholesale it to somebody with full disclosure that it had been wrecked.

OK...so now I am just waiting on the truck again.  Ordered a new BackFlip MX4 tonneau cover this morning and a couple of other small things that I had put on the old truck.  It will all be here before the truck arrives.

I am certainly ready for this to be over with.  I did get a pleasant surprise from the insurance company though.  They said that because this is a replacement for a wrecked truck, that I can send them the bill of sale on the new truck and could reimburse me about $2500.00 in state sales tax.

• Like 6

A wild ride, but good news at the end!

Enjoy the new truck!

I too, was surprised at the insurance pay out when our 10 year old Spectra with over 200K miles was totaled. We had already replaced it, so it was a "spare" loaner vehicle and no great loss when a family friend got tagged in low speed altercation with an inattentive driver. The insurance check was seriously twice what I expected and a nice alternative to scrapping the old girl.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it’s working out.  About 20 years ago I got into an accident with my Audi when someone pulled out in front of me.  After correcting the insurance company multiple times about the actual model A4S and them finally agreeing that it wasn’t an A4, the value went up and they didn’t want to total it.  I sure didn’t want it back given the amount of damage.  They said that I can have it repaired at a shop of my choice, so I told them to send it back to Germany so Audi can fix it.  They didn’t see that on coming and decided to total it.  Made a few bucks off of it.  And salt in the wound that still stings is I had put a full tank in just the night before.

That reminds me of my daughter. I gave her a nice used car for Christmas before graduation, the following summer I took it in my shop to get ready for college trips. $300 fuel pump, $150 battery, $500 tires, full tune up, belt, hoses, etc. you know the drill. 4 days later she wrecked it. Setting in the ER she got mad complaining that she just filled the tank. 

1 hour ago, RDawson said:

That reminds me of my daughter. I gave her a nice used car for Christmas before graduation, the following summer I took it in my shop to get ready for college trips. $300 fuel pump, $150 battery, $500 tires, full tune up, belt, hoses, etc. you know the drill. 4 days later she wrecked it. Setting in the ER she got mad complaining that she just filled the tank. 

She had just filled the tank??? You just spent over $1k, but, but! Girls!!

• Haha 1