IGNORED

Skips out of 1st gear.

So, I had this happen 3 times. 

Pulling out of a parking space in 1st gear and then a "click". She popped into neutral. The second time it happened I was leaning into the turn. Needless to say, the bike and I ended up on our sides. 

This is quite a concern for me since I don't want this happening in traffic. 

Has anyone experienced such a thing? If anyone can give me some guidance on where or what to look for to correct this, it would be greatly appreciated. 

• Sad 1

@Midicat, if it were mine here is where I would look and how I would start the adVenturesome repair. 1st check all linkage and pivot points at the shifter on the left side. Look closely to make sure nothing is prohibiting the shifter from completing its travel downwardly as you put it in 1st. Also pull the forward bevel gear cover (that covers the clutch slave) so you can see the linkages behind that cover. Now move the shifter and watch to make sure nothing has loosened up and is moving around. All good there and nothing causing the issue, now pull the clutch cover on the right side and look under the clutch basket and at the bottom of the cases where you will see the shift shaft. Look for any abnormalities that may be repaired without removing the clutch. Spring laying there or something.. Everything looking good there I would pull the clutch basket so I could examine the shifting indexer, cam follower and all shift shaft connections and components. Make sure the screw that holds the index on the end of the shift drum is tight. Matter of fact I would take it out and locktite it and probably even stake it. Look at the pins in the indexer and make sure they are all in place and not ready to fall out. Look for wear on the oddly shaped fork on the end of the shift shaft linkage. Try to move the shift shaft in the case to see if you got wear there and double check the cam follower wheel for looseness. With the rear wheel off the ground, rock the rear wheel slowly back and forth and have someone drop it into first while you watch the shift shaft working and cam follower and indexer before you button it up to make sure its working smoothly after doing any repairs. You will find it,, I have repaired 100's of issues related to what you describe. Mostly on MX bikes cause their shifting linkages take a beating when landing jumps and stuff and all of them were easy to identify once opened up. Very seldom is it cause by bent shift forks internally. Those usually show up with a different set of problems of their own.. Good luck my friend! Puc

Edited by cowpuc