IGNORED

Cleaning carbs while still on bikes.

cowpuc

I just wrote this for someone on Facebook and thought I would copy/paste it back on here. I know we have talked and talked and talked about this over the years but,, being new here again I thought I would stir the pot this morning a little by reposting it again.. Admin,, sure you dont wanna rethink not having me sign I contract I wouldnt cause trouble? LOL

""Pull the bikes side covers so carb slide covers are accessable, pull the slide covers on the carbs n remove diaphrams/slides (good time to check diaphrams for pin holes/tears), open the drains on the carbs, go to ag store and purchase large syringe for horses, pick up carb cleaner (I use spray carb cleaner from AutoZone but have also used B-12 very successfully and even Chem Dip (BUT you have to be careful and work fast with Chem Dip!). Inject carb cleaner thru the drain hoses into carbs one at a time until the carb cleaner comes out of the hole that the slide needles go into in carb body one at a time and then close the drain when the cleaner drips out of hole. This will assure carb is filled with carb cleaner. Let the carb cleaner set in carbs for at least 24 hours UNLESS your using Chem Dip! With Chem Dip, 20 minutes MAX! After sitting for 24 hours, hook syringe back up, open drain and pull cleaner from bowls with syringe and pump syringe to agitate cleaner in carb bowls. After agitating suck cleaner out of carb bowl(s) disgard. Fill syringe with raw gas, inject raw gas into carb(s) until it comes out of diaphram needle hole and agitate. Suck raw gas out and disgard. replace carb parts, check the slides to make sure they move freely in carb bodies, put covers back on over diaphrams. Make sure slide springs are same length, make sure the little oring under cover is in place. close it up, make sure drains are closed, turn on ignition and fill bowls with fuel pump by toggling kill switch until bowls are full (when fuel pump stops clicking). Crank her up and spit check headers to see if its now running on all four while starting with cold engine. I also like to do new plugs and clip off 1/4 inch of each plug wire at spark plug caps if corrusion is present before I start it up too and sync the carbs when done.""

no_photo.png
ReplyForward
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, cowpuc said:
""Pull the bikes side covers so carb slide covers are accessable, pull the slide covers on the carbs n remove diaphrams/slides (good time to check diaphrams for pin holes/tears), open the drains on the carbs, go to ag store and purchase large syringe for horses, pick up carb cleaner (I use spray carb cleaner from AutoZone but have also used B-12 very successfully and even Chem Dip (BUT you have to be careful and work fast with Chem Dip!). Inject carb cleaner thru the drain hoses into carbs one at a time until the carb cleaner comes out of the hole that the slide needles go into in carb body one at a time and then close the drain when the cleaner drips out of hole. This will assure carb is filled with carb cleaner. Let the carb cleaner set in carbs for at least 24 hours UNLESS your using Chem Dip! With Chem Dip, 20 minutes MAX! After sitting for 24 hours, hook syringe back up, open drain and pull cleaner from bowls with syringe and pump syringe to agitate cleaner in carb bowls. After agitating suck cleaner out of carb bowl(s) disgard. Fill syringe with raw gas, inject raw gas into carb(s) until it comes out of diaphram needle hole and agitate. Suck raw gas out and disgard. replace carb parts, check the slides to make sure they move freely in carb bodies, put covers back on over diaphrams. Make sure slide springs are same length, make sure the little oring under cover is in place. close it up, make sure drains are closed, turn on ignition and fill bowls with fuel pump by toggling kill switch until bowls are full (when fuel pump stops clicking). Crank her up and spit check headers to see if its now running on all four while starting with cold engine. I also like to do new plugs and clip off 1/4 inch of each plug wire at spark plug caps if corrusion is present before I start it up too and sync the carbs when done.""

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

Nice write up Puc

being new here again I thought I would stir the pot this morning a little by reposting it again.. Admin,, sure you dont wanna rethink not having me sign I contract I wouldnt cause trouble? LOL

When did you ever think about stirring the Pot @cowpucSeems to me you just plain can't help yourself :witch_brew:.........:stickpoke:Yup you been missed.

• Like 1