IGNORED

Non Bike Related - Tonneau covers

Freebird

As you know, my wife totaled my '18 Tacoma last week.  I finally found one that is not even here yet and put a deposit on it.  I always put a tonneau cover on my trucks.  On my last two, I went with the Undercover one piece hard cover.  I love them.  They fit well, look good, and are practically indestructible.  BUT....occasionally I have to haul something that is taller than the bed sides and need to remove it.  It's not heavy but removing something that large is a bit tricky and doing it by myself isn't the easiest thing to do.

So, I'm thinking this time about a hard "Flip" cover.  Something like the Backflip MX4.  It is a 4 piece aluminum clad cover that you can fold up if you need the full bed for hauling.

So my question for you, our all knowing membership, do you have a cover that you would highly recommend over the others?  I tried to get them to let me take the one off the '18 but was told that I wasn't allowed to remove anything expect my personal items.  Before they got out there, I did manage to remove my bed extender and put it in the back of my van though.

There are a few different setups for the likes and dislikes of different folks. Me? I don't like the solid for the reason you quoted and it's hard to 'jump' into the bed for something. The tri-fold is pretty much the same problem, so I have to roll-up. It's stays in place most of the time but can be rolled up and out of the way for our fiver, can accommodate an item that is just slightly higher than the box, if it needs to come of I can do it alone easy, looks good, doesn't flap around and I can lift just a couple of inches when necessary to handle long pieces and then it's there to keep the pieces in place somewhat. The only thing  is that you have to make sure the sides pushed down or a side wind will lift it. No hard cover for me anytime. If somebody needs to take something from my box I suppose they can but would leave a much smaller mess than if I had a hard cover, either way they would run off with what ever they thought important enough.

I Prefer a full size cap myself. But I have seen Carl's and I would say I would choose similar were I looking for one. You can always but in a Job Box Or similar if you need to lock stuff up.

Edited by saddlebum

I debated between the Backflip MX4 and the Leer HF650M quad fold.  The only reason I decided on the Leer is that it has a "pinch type" latching system for the panels instead of the pull cable used by everyone else.  With the cable type, I can see where someone could take a hook inserted above the tailgate and grab it to release.  Probably not really a concern because I'm sure that a pry bar inserted in the middle of the tailgate would pop open any of them in a matter of seconds.  But overall, I do like it just fine.  I did have to shim the mounting rails at the tailgate end slightly to get good latch engagement.

I have a utility cap on my truck so never had the hard cover personally.  But last week at work we needed to move some chairs and had two pickups with the hard covers (sorry I don’t know brands of covers). The dodge cover didn’t work so well as it didn’t flip all the way open, I want to say it had three sections but the section nearest the cab didn’t flip up, rendering a third of the bed useless.  The Chevy did fully open and had prop rods to keep the cover up against the back window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDawson said:

I have a Lomax trifold. Flip twice to use 2/3 of the bed or pop the front latches and it lifts out in seconds. I’m very happy with it. 

I had this style on my '07 F150 and loved it. Tonneau Pro from Auto Zone.

I have a  1997 Chevy K1500 that I have had for 20 plus years and it 529000 Kilometers on it , I rebuilt the engine at 489000 Kilometers and the Transmission at 400000 Kilometers and it has the original front end ..ball joints etc ...I service at regular intervals and I would would not sell the truck for any money ..i am doing my own chassis / body repairs ...and it is paid for .. 

I went with the The ACCESS® Roll-Up Cover and ADARAC™ Aluminum rack system.

I Needed to be able to take off the racks easily. This system gives me the best of both worlds. I can put the racks on in a few minutes then very stuff on racks above the cover....wood, tent, furniture...whatever. up to 500lbs. Take the racks off and have a lean bed with the cover.

The cover can be rolled to any size under the rack without issue. The heavy duty versions is really good stuff!

THe mounting rails stay on the truck and are out of the way always.

ITS not a hard cover, but best of both worlds for my needs....

20201030_085302.jpg

84559.jpeg

20201017_132845.jpg