IGNORED

Throttle cables connection to carbs

I am restoring an '87 Venture Royale that has been in storage for 10 years. It was parked because of carb problems that I could not fix. I am now trying again to get it going. I have removed the carb bank and cleaned them again. The throttle cables were not connected and I can't remember how to re-attach them. Is there a diagram somewhere that shows this?

Thanks!

DL

Twist the throttle and determine which one is primary and which one is return. That should tell you which one goes where. Put the carb bank back into position but not all the way. At this point connect the cables making sure that the primary cables does not go on the outside of throttle shaft, even though it may seem that there is a nylon spacer for it to slide on. Put the primary cable on the inside of the shaft. Make sure that the cables are free running and then push the carbs into place. Do the return cable first if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I will look at it again tomorrow. I tried to get more slack by taking one of the cables out of the cruise control junction and need to know how that goes back together. Seems like I remember seeing a diagram for it the last time I worked on it years ago. Is that still available somewhere? Can we attach pictures here? Thanks

13 hours ago, Pop said:

Thanks for the reply. I will look at it again tomorrow. I tried to get more slack by taking one of the cables out of the cruise control junction and need to know how that goes back together. Seems like I remember seeing a diagram for it the last time I worked on it years ago. Is that still available somewhere? Can we attach pictures here? Thanks

I think the manual has a decent picture as well.

14 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Twist the throttle and determine which one is primary and which one is return. That should tell you which one goes where. Put the carb bank back into position but not all the way. At this point connect the cables making sure that the primary cables does not go on the outside of throttle shaft, even though it may seem that there is a nylon spacer for it to slide on. Put the primary cable on the inside of the shaft. Make sure that the cables are free running and then push the carbs into place. Do the return cable first if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

100% YAH THAT!! You da MAN @Marcarl

One cable has two knobs on it. Which one is it? I had taken them out of what I think the manual calls the actuator. It has two wheels inside and a cable connected to the cruise control. The bottom wheel has two slots on it labeled 3 and 4 for the knobs on the cables. The top wheel  has a slot for the cruise cable. The drawing in the manual doesn't help. Is there not a diagram somewhere? The manual illustration of the carbs shows number 1 which has two knobs as close side. Does close mean return? Number 2 is called open side. Does that mean primary? I just can't figure out where the two knobs connect to and where on the actuator wheel the cables connect to.