IGNORED

Extra gas…good idea/bad idea?

Pasta Burner

I’ve posted before about carrying extra gas and there are some other threads that are a decade old so I figured I’d start another one with my specific question.  When I bought the 87 in 2019 I tore into it immediately and addressed lots of minor issues (it ran when I bought it and even test rode it) in that process I took off the markland hitch.  Recently I put the hitch back on mainly because 1. Why not 2. I was tired of moving it around the garage knowing sooner or later I’d loose a piece of it.  Anyway to my point, while cleaning my garage I came across some unused small gas cans and I thought this could be perfect to strap to the hitch!  I’ve got a 2gal, 1 1/4gal, and 1gal.  Thoughts?  All containers are in good condition, just dirty.4F972809-3959-43F4-9537-99E839C53B9B.thumb.jpeg.9b4c7930d7206ba51a73863009d36318.jpegABEA3E61-8A3A-4490-BA8B-C272620D20ED.thumb.jpeg.d9bea07150ddc879493bdec18ff67010.jpeg934833B1-86D0-4DE4-9322-0EF593C21F81.thumb.jpeg.a869681ae5224487f1f993b0b6f98b15.jpeg

I know several adventure riders that carry extra gas and one in particular that tells me to only use the fuel cans designed for it. The plastic jug they carried developed a hole and leaked all over their stuff, good thing they did not smoke.

Edited by etcswjoe
  • Sad 1

Have to agree with riding out West.  Going thru Montana I rode for about 70km with the low fuel light on and no bars showing on the dash (2009 RSV).  Finally found a gas station and when I tried sloshing the tank back and forth it was pretty much empty.  Was on fumes when I filled up.

Local trips, no concern with gas stations.  Another long tour and I would get a proper container and find a place to keep it....probably on the back of the trailer  or on the tongue.

• Like 2

The only spot I have found in the states where xtra fuel is an absolute must was the xtraterrestrial highway from nellis to Tanopah. we did have to buy a 2 gallon can (was big $$ at the nearest station so they KNEW that had a captured market lol) and used it to make it across. I always carried a couple quarts of fuel in oil jugs under my rear carrier where it was well protected anyway though cause I have a habit of rolling past fuel stations and telling Tip pushing aint that bad (and got ran out a couple times too) but that was just because I am a huge risk taker I guess, getting caught up in the moments of riding bit me a few times. There are several providers of xtra fuel cans worthy of in side bag carry that if I werent so stubborn I would have been better off with. I wouldn't carry fuel like that all the time cause now adays it would be like carrying gold out where theives could grab n go BUT in a crunch I would, even though it does create safety issues. @Pasta Burner i have often pondered putting a cooler back there like that or even moving the rear case/trunk back there to lower the center of gravity but never stopped riding long enough to try it. Matter of fact,  i ended up taking the hitch deck off Tweeksis that was on her when I got her from @Carbon_One because it was just another something to remove when I was swapping tires at roadside. I still have that and an actual fuel hitch assembly for a MK1, if you hear of anyone looking for one let me know. 

Thanks all.  I don’t plan on carrying a can for the daily, it’s more of an idea for trips.  I live in Utah so “out west” as most of you have mentioned is my back yard.  I remember @cowpuc mentioning the empty oil cans in old socks under the luggage rack.  Many people carry cans exposed to the elements on trailer tongues or racks especially landscapers, jet ski, and snowmobile out here.  When we take the mini bike out to the desert I carry the bike and fuel on the hitch carrier.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Thanks all.  I don’t plan on carrying a can for the daily, it’s more of an idea for trips.  I live in Utah so “out west” as most of you have mentioned is my back yard.  I remember @cowpuc mentioning the empty oil cans in old socks under the luggage rack.  Many people carry cans exposed to the elements on trailer tongues or racks especially landscapers, jet ski, and snowmobile out here.  When we take the mini bike out to the desert I carry the bike and fuel on the hitch carrier.

Your welcome Pasta. You living in Utah, especially if your not like cruising all over Salt Lake City, is truly a whole different living experience. Life in Utah is, well for lack of better way to explain it, like stepping back into a time when the American experience was more for the risk takers I reckon. I love it out there but I was always a desert rat. You pull into Salina to get gas when your following the 50 = Loniest Highway In America (got a sticker - its cool. Rode 50 from Ocean City all the way over to its end at my daughters in Sac and lots of other times in portions) and watch as trucks pull in with a 30' trailer behind it and a 16' trailer with a boat on it behind the trailer and BOTH trailers are on ball hitches. Ask the guy pulling them if thats legal,, he says - out here where America is still America it is lol. Kids come riding down the road in Downtown Salina on their quads, ride past the cops who wave at the kids as they are pulling into the gas station to fill their quads and the gas can they have in their left hand. Its a site to behold. Point to the mountains off in the distance and say,, heyyy kid,, you think I could make it up there on this beat up ol touring bike to camp on that mountain top? Kid looks at me and says I guess it would depend on how good of an off roader you are. Then say,, well how do I get there? Kid says, ya just ride across those fields between here and there LOL. Now @Pasta Burner, being from Utah you probably know exactly what I am talking about. Here in Michigan, and in most states, cutting off road is strictly forbidden except on designated trails. State/Federal lands here at home dont really belong to the tax payer anymore BUT out there, in some places it still does. If I LIVED out there and was still riding like I use to,,,,,, heck yeah,, Tweeks would carry a 2 gallon tank on a hitch as you show 24/7 more than likely, along with that water jug I always carry on her side. Consider the source though too cause a Helmet probably would not even be found in my riding gear either lol. I LOVE the West and ohhh how Tweeks and I miss it.  Yeah,,, mount er up and hit the desert!

• Like 2

I installed this 2 gallon gas tank under the trailer years ago.  Never have needed it, but it is comforting knowing thatIMG-20140309-00074.thumb.jpg.1223abce2c024f205ce9660a286b2f0b.jpgIMG-20140309-00076.thumb.jpg.16a70cdaaa32f8db146f2d643a521c9e.jpgIMG-20140309-00074.thumb.jpg.1223abce2c024f205ce9660a286b2f0b.jpgIMG-20140313-00081.thumb.jpg.6c7a5a4f26e9c184ba12af2c7c53130a.jpg it's there.  Where it's located between the wheels doesn't upset the tongue weight at all and it is mostly out of sight.  Not the most convenient location but it sure beats walking.

IMG-20140309-00075.jpg

• Like 4

Yes @cowpuc I do know what you mean!  I’m born and raised just outside of Philly but moved here in 2014.  I’m about 30-40 min north of Salt Lake City next to Hill AFB.  Even in my well developed neighborhood we have kids riding the main streets on quads and dirt bikes as you describe in Salina!  The salt lake valley isn’t all that big and once you get out of it and off the super slab, gas stations can be few and far…that said even IF there is a station you need to factor in if they are open. After 6pm or on a Sunday and you’ll be camping out or pushing…or begging because the owner lives within earshot of his station.  It is a different culture and way of life out here, as you say for the risk takers / adventure seekers.  On the flat screens at the gas pumps or over the slurpee machine in town they’re advertising extreme sports like dirt biking, hang gliding, jet packing…red bull kinda stuff as if that’s what you’re off to do once you fill up…and many are!

if you stick to the beaten path gas availability is a slim issue, but start connecting those backroads and you can quickly be SOL.  

On a side note, living out here I’ve learned it isn’t the thermometer reading that’s dangerous as much as the intensity of the sun.  For that reason I’ve added a compact umbrella to every vehicles emergency kit.  Until you’ve experienced it it’s hard to explain how difficult something as simple as swapping a fuse is when you’re dripping a pint of sweat onto the project at hand.

• Like 2

As one of the old long distance riders used to say - "You can only have too much gas if you are on fire."

If you are riding one up, I suggest going to an auxiliary gas tank mounted on the passenger seat.  It is easy to plumb in by installing a T between the petcock and the fuel pump.  Gravity feed.

I had a 5 gallon spun aluminum tank mounted on a board (was actually cut from a support board under the belt from an old treadmill).  Drilled holes to mount U-bolts that clamp around the passenger grab handles.  Solid as a rock.

P1010084.JPG

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RedRider said:

As one of the old long distance riders used to say - "You can only have too much gas if you are on fire."

If you are riding one up, I suggest going to an auxiliary gas tank mounted on the passenger seat.  It is easy to plumb in by installing a T between the petcock and the fuel pump.  Gravity feed.

I had a 5 gallon spun aluminum tank mounted on a board (was actually cut from a support board under the belt from an old treadmill).  Drilled holes to mount U-bolts that clamp around the passenger grab handles.  Solid as a rock.

P1010084.JPG

I/we got warned about wearing a helmet that looked like a Police Hat out in California cause it was white and half shell. Turned out the District Court in Sacramento didnt like the warning the motorcycle officer gave us because 3 months later I got a bill from them for $500. If me n Tweeks came cruising thru Elk Grove California with that tank on her backseat and hose coming out of the top of it like that, just as sure as I am sitting here, we would get stopped, Tweeks impounded and me jailed facing a $20000 fine for having an operating Moonshine Still on the road.. I do like it though @RedRider, it has that "I can ride ALL day" look about it! Puc

Puc,

The hose that appears to be coming out the top is actually my hydration system coming from the Coleman next to the tank.  The fuel line comes out from the bottom on the clutch side.  You can see the petcock and inline fuel filter for the aux tank mounted to the black board.  The fuel line runs down the clutch side and T's into the fuel line just behind the main tank petcock.

The metal thing sticking out of the aux tank cap is the tether anchor.

I could get a little over 325 miles before stopping without hitting reserve.

RR

Edited by RedRider
  • Like 1

This is the setup on my new-to-me long distance steed.  The hose is plumbed under the seat into the tank.  Again, gravity feed.  The tube coming out is from the Camelback mounted atop the tank.  You can see the bite valve next to the water bottle.

TT

PXL_20220609_162346961.jpg

• Like 1

4D7E1A4D-6C65-46D4-8E25-C3CF02E1BC6D.thumb.jpeg.dd180b167f1f4bfd753977408f02e490.jpeg85AAEEFA-16F3-4FA8-80E7-609BFE206DA3.thumb.jpeg.9455b8003edefb787bc3e7028c244558.jpeg@cowpuc America being America at its finest!  3 year olds riding in bombs around an Air Force Base.

And also yes that is a sniper / sharpshooter on the rooftop.  One of many posted for the event.  God bless America and her Allies.

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

4D7E1A4D-6C65-46D4-8E25-C3CF02E1BC6D.thumb.jpeg.dd180b167f1f4bfd753977408f02e490.jpeg85AAEEFA-16F3-4FA8-80E7-609BFE206DA3.thumb.jpeg.9455b8003edefb787bc3e7028c244558.jpeg@cowpuc America being America at its finest!  3 year olds riding in bombs around an Air Force Base.

And also yes that is a sniper / sharpshooter on the rooftop.  One of many posted for the event.  God bless America and her Allies.

Dern straight, that is AWESOME!!! Heyyyy fellers,, wait for me,, I wanna ride too!! Indeed @Pasta Burner,, GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER ALLIES! Very very very well done!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

@cowpuc so I’m pre planning my rt50 / extraterrestrial highway desert roundabout excursion, given this heat it’ll probably be a few months out.  Since you’re the only one I know who’s been out there my question is; is there cell service?  If not I may invest in a satellite communication system.  I know some things exist now that you can either subscribe to a text or location service, somewhat like a land based EPIRB like I used back in my sailing days.  Also just ordered a pretty comprehensive first aid / survival kit.  Next is convincing wifey this is a good idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@cowpuc so I’m pre planning my rt50 / extraterrestrial highway desert roundabout excursion, given this heat it’ll probably be a few months out.  Since you’re the only one I know who’s been out there my question is; is there cell service?  If not I may invest in a satellite communication system.  I know some things exist now that you can either subscribe to a text or location service, somewhat like a land based EPIRB like I used back in my sailing days.  Also just ordered a pretty comprehensive first aid / survival kit.  Next is convincing wifey this is a good idea.

Hi @Pasta Burner!! Absolutely NO problem with cell service out there that I ever experienced. Maybe when you get between Tonopah and the end of 50 at Sac if your going that far but even in that desolation I don't recall no Cell Service. It may have something to do with Nellis being right there, not sure on that. If your gonna CTFW out there you really should stop and give @CMCOFFEY a hard time for me. He is a lop eared VR varmint and a good friend. You folks camping it or Moteling? I ask because if you are Moteling and want an unbelievable experience to top off the ULTIMATE of riding the alien highway from Nellis to Tonopah shoot down and grab a night ride thru Death Valley during a full moon (tenting it in the heat of the day is almost impossible). Prep your bike to be able to shut off all lights! That is like riding on a different planet = UNBELIEVABLE! As far as heat,, I found that as long as you stay west of the rockies so no humidity (and no bugs) you can deduct 15 degrees from the ambient temps for biking,, so,, 90 down south in 95% humidity is like 105 in the desert. Tip was amazed her first time touring/camping the desert and discovered the REAL truth about that saying "its a dry heat",, the dryness REALLY does make a HUGE difference - on the plus side IMHO. Start out with new tires cause the hot tarmac does eat rubber. Run your tires fully inflated - to spec on sidewall, carry WATER (at least a gallon) and grab an xtra 2 gallon can at the Shell station near the east entrance of the Xtra Terr if your gonna ride all the way over to Tonopah and strap it on. Watch the skies for jets out of Nellis and also for alien aircraft. Both are seen a lot.. well,, maybe not so much the aliens but ya never know! SOUNDS LIKE FUN Pasta!! HAVE FUN and get er done!! PucDSCN4283.JPG.38c4da203018214186609a7c83aaa1c0.JPGDSCN4400.JPG.275026a2c43497fb0f0e9536c5f165ec.JPGDSCN4395.JPG.e3d24b323e697eb0239a3a0f26d7b4d9.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guy's name is Dan... He's an overlander who takes off into the unknown all the time. This link hopefully will lead to his discussion of various types of radios..... It's a good read.

How I Use My Garmin inReach Mini Satellite Communicator

https://adventuretaco.com/how-i-use-my-garmin-inreach-mini-satellite-communicator/

Hope this link works!

Even though you have cell service (thanks Puc!).... It might be wise to look into these type of radios.

Edited by videoarizona
Add comment
  • Thanks 1