IGNORED

?'s about GRASS. no ya lop eared varmints, not the stuff ya smoke, the stuff ya mow!

cowpuc

Like me, my back yards got bald spots,, not as bad as me but still pretty bad. My neighbor had a MOUNTAIN of this straw laced with mesh sitting at the end of his driveway, I asked BEFORE I filled my truck with it (this time lol) and hauled some home in hopes that maybe the birds wouldn't eat the grass seeds I am hoping to toss out on my yards bald spots. Anyone ever tried to actually make grass seeds grow under this stuff? Am I on the right track? I gotta a BLACK thumb, two of them, when it comes to growing anything. Any of you had experience with this stuff and wanna share thoughts/idea's/home remedies. You got the time, I got the weed, I mean grass. THANKS IN ADVANCE! Puc

DSCN9246.JPG

DSCN9247.JPG

DSCN9248.JPG

DSCN9249.JPG

DSCN9250.JPG

The reason you have bald spots maybe more due to the soil more than anything else. If you have problems growing grass, which seems to grow wherever you don't want it, but won't even sprout when you seed it, you could cover what is there with some good soil first, maybe just an inch or two. Rake it well, then throw on a carpet of seed, rake a little again and then roll it lightly to firm the seed to the soil. Grass seed does not like to be buried, just barely covered. Keep it watered every evening, not mornings, for about 2 weeks. And you can throw the straw on, but I wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are gonna use the straw you have to spread it VERY thin or it will smother any grass that sprouts.

As mentioned it looks like there is also no dirt in the bald spots. Just a thin layer of good dirt makes a big difference in giving the new grass a chance to get some roots going. Also use fresh seed, some old dried out seed found in the garage will likely already be dead before you plant it. I just tried to plant some 3 year old seed and only got a couple dozed blades of grass to sprout, some fresh seed and it is off to the races. It looks like you "dirt" is mostly sand, do some research on the internet for varieties of grass that will do well in your type of soil. You likely will not find the special varieties at your big box store.

I would gladly give you a whole yard full of grass, I hate mowing. I usually just mow when I start loosing the dog. Just swim on over with your truck and load it up.

• Thanks 1

you may wanna go to your local farm n fleet store n pick up some lime, it helps neutralize the acid in the soil n fertilizer to make the soil so it can support the growth of new grass. had to do it at my house to get grass to grow. i have alot of pine trees n maple trees in my yard.  the straw will help to keep the birds from eat'n your grass seed, n  hep to retain moisture for the grass to grow.  good luck!!!👍

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Flyinfool said:

If you are gonna use the straw you have to spread it VERY thin or it will smother any grass that sprouts.

As mentioned it looks like there is also no dirt in the bald spots. Just a thin layer of good dirt makes a big difference in giving the new grass a chance to get some roots going. Also use fresh seed, some old dried out seed found in the garage will likely already be dead before you plant it. I just tried to plant some 3 year old seed and only got a couple dozed blades of grass to sprout, some fresh seed and it is off to the races. It looks like you "dirt" is mostly sand, do some research on the internet for varieties of grass that will do well in your type of soil. You likely will not find the special varieties at your big box store.

I would gladly give you a whole yard full of grass, I hate mowing. I usually just mow when I start loosing the dog. Just swim on over with your truck and load it up.

Hey you lop eared, rocket flyin, white wash makin, deer killin, lead tossin, Frosty lovin, ice in the veins varmint,,, WASSUP? Tip and I were just talking about you, we got home here, went for an E-Bike ride to watch the storms move in that came from your direction today and while down at the State Park we noticed PILES of white pollen gathered all over that sure looked remarkably like WHITE WASH and only it wasnt melting!! Thought, sure enough,, HE FIGURED IT OUT! 

Thanks for the advice on the growing more weeds. Its greatly appreciated. The load of straw I have is that stuff that the county uses for erosion control, it goes down like a blanket. I know they are very successful with it cause the area this came from is now COVERED in grass. This stuff came from my neighbors yard that the county messed up and fixed for him before they left after bridge repair. It has already been used twice but is in good shape yet, got it free so what da heck figured why not give that baldness in my back yard a shot if I find the time. Its not just free flying straw. 

HOT DOG,, you mean that if I jump on the Ferry, go to your house and cut your grass for you that I could just take what I cut home with me and fling it out there and it should be good to go? Should I bring those tools back that I kept when I adjusted the nozzles on your White Washer nozzles when I was there years ago? 

• Like 2

Hey Pucster,

My tried and true method for growing grass in bald spots is to buy a few bags of the cheapest "Garden Soil" found at any ACE Hardware or Home Depot, (usually $2 bucks a bag give or take a few cents) then "Dust" the area with the soil. (crumble the soil from the bag, and spread a light layer over the bare area) Over seed the area with the type of grass seed you want to grow, using your feet, smash the seed into the dusted soil, then top off with the dry grass and mesh. (I personally have had much better luck with just grass clippings than the grass with mesh in it. When you go to remove the mesh, you pull some of the new grass out with the mesh, just sayin') The object of the grass/mesh is to hold the moisture so the seeds will germinate. You will need to water in the morning BEFORE it gets too hot, and again in the evening after it cools off. (Don't water during the heat of the day, it boils the seeds!) In about 10 days or so, you will see the grass sprouts poking through the grass mat. Let the new grass grow for 2 weeks, set your mower deck 1 inch higher than you usually mow, and mow the area. (After you remove the mesh) You will find that about 80% of the area will have new grass. You will need to repeat the process until the entire area is filled in. On you second try, just use clippings from the mowing of your yard. The addition of the new soil and the regular watering is what makes the magic happen!  On your sloped areas, it wouldn't hurt to take a pick or a pointed shovel and break up the base soil a little. (Stab the shovel point into the ground about 1 inch, and twist the shovel handle) This will make it easier for the grass to root in the base soil. After looking at your pics, this could take the better part of the summer to get grass to grow on those slopes. I usually hit a place like a farm and feed store or Tractor Supply for 50 lb. bags of "bulk" seed instead of Home Depot for little 3-5 lb. bags of "Designer Seed" for "Weekend City Farmers"! $1 per pound is a decent price for bulk seed instead of $3 to $4 dollars a pound for Designer Seed. It's ALL the same seed, I assure you! Patience is a virtue when trying to get grass to grow in a bald spot! Your new mantra will be Dust, Seed, Cover, Water, Repeat! You will be mumbling that mantra in your sleep by October! LOL!! 

I had a Pole Barn built on my property a few years back, and by the time the construction equipment and two full cement trucks rolled across my front yard, the grass was destroyed! It took the rest of that first summer and into the next summer to bring back all of the grass that was missing, but you would never know a 580 Case Backhoe, three Bobcats, and two 13 yard cement trucks had plowed my grass under the previous summer! I have attached a few pics.

Good luck with your project brother!

Earl

20210910_184107 (1).jpg

20210416_195848.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Pucster,

My tried and true method for growing grass in bald spots is to buy a few bags of the cheapest "Garden Soil" found at any ACE Hardware or Home Depot, (usually $2 bucks a bag give or take a few cents) then "Dust" the area with the soil. (crumble the soil from the bag, and spread a light layer over the bare area) Over seed the area with the type of grass seed you want to grow, using your feet, smash the seed into the dusted soil, then top off with the dry grass and mesh. (I personally have had much better luck with just grass clippings than the grass with mesh in it. When you go to remove the mesh, you pull some of the new grass out with the mesh, just sayin') The object of the grass/mesh is to hold the moisture so the seeds will germinate. You will need to water in the morning BEFORE it gets too hot, and again in the evening after it cools off. (Don't water during the heat of the day, it boils the seeds!) In about 10 days or so, you will see the grass sprouts poking through the grass mat. Let the new grass grow for 2 weeks, set your mower deck 1 inch higher than you usually mow, and mow the area. (After you remove the mesh) You will find that about 80% of the area will have new grass. You will need to repeat the process until the entire area is filled in. On you second try, just use clippings from the mowing of your yard. The addition of the new soil and the regular watering is what makes the magic happen!  On your sloped areas, it wouldn't hurt to take a pick or a pointed shovel and break up the base soil a little. (Stab the shovel point into the ground about 1 inch, and twist the shovel handle) This will make it easier for the grass to root in the base soil. After looking at your pics, this could take the better part of the summer to get grass to grow on those slopes. I usually hit a place like a farm and feed store or Tractor Supply for 50 lb. bags of "bulk" seed instead of Home Depot for little 3-5 lb. bags of "Designer Seed" for "Weekend City Farmers"! $1 per pound is a decent price for bulk seed instead of $3 to $4 dollars a pound for Designer Seed. It's ALL the same seed, I assure you! Patience is a virtue when trying to get grass to grow in a bald spot! Your new mantra will be Dust, Seed, Cover, Water, Repeat! You will be mumbling that mantra in your sleep by October! LOL!! 

I had a Pole Barn built on my property a few years back, and by the time the construction equipment and two full cement trucks rolled across my front yard, the grass was destroyed! It took the rest of that first summer and into the next summer to bring back all of the grass that was missing, but you would never know a 580 Case Backhoe, three Bobcats, and two 13 yard cement trucks had plowed my grass under the previous summer! I have attached a few pics.

Good luck with your project brother!

Earl

20210910_184107 (1).jpg

20210416_195848.jpg

HOT DOGS FOR EVERYONE DOC!! Man you got it going on there brother! What you got happening there is wayyyy beyond my capabilities! looks like a high end commercial operation to these beat ol eyes! AMAZING n COOL!

So I went to Menards to grab a "Weasel" by the tail,, you know, one of those rotary cultivator gizmoes? They were suppose to have 16 in stock. Got there late last night, guy searched EVERY where for the little critter, no can do he says it shows we got 16 of em but never came in.. My son gets out of work at midnight (Manages a Micro Brewery) so ol Pop Puc calls him at 12:05 AM. Son,, I says,, any chance you got a weasel? YES he says, can I borrow it from a while, ABSOLUTELY he says, want me to come over I says, ABSOLUTELY he says. Arrived at his house at 12:30, got the weasel, loaned me his cute little seed tosser too to use instead of my roller type, cutest little hand held seed tosser ya ever seen! Then the fun began,, He says DAD, gotta chance to pickup a 99 Wing, been setting a LONG time.. What say you? so I start telling him all it takes to get a scoot up to par thats been sitting for 10 years (he knows, he grew up spinning wrenches with me/for me at the business). Got about 1/2 way thru the work to be done, stopped and said, heyyy, you wanna bike? I will GIVE you Tweesis, cant ride anyway.. He looks at me and says "well I wanted the Wing so you and I could go west and relive some mems only this time I ride mine, you ride yours.. I almost broke down! My 40 year old son wants to hang with his Pop! HOW COOL! Champ, I said,, those days are gone, not the hanging but the biking.. THANKFULLY we did what we did when we did Sonshine, lots of great mems between me and my only Son,, like two tracking on one of my MK1's wayyyy out in the middle of the mountains of Utah, AZ, SD just to pan gold. Or spending HOURS playing at Wall Drug shooting aliens and out smarting that Dinosaur that tries to get cha. Or camping in mountain down pours snuggled up in the tent listens to the rain beat on the canvas trying to drowned up inside. How bout we take our car, toss in the beds and hit the road. A dad and his boy! Plans in the making! Took till 5:30 A.M. to get there though.. Brother it was GREAT to be there and very very thankful Menards didnt have a weasel! So now I got the weasel, the spreader, the straw wattle and gotta get seed. Thinking Fescue Tall cause it reads "good for shade". Then I am gonna give er a shot, if/when it cools off some here. Will follow up with you and everyone when that happens to see if black thumb, plant killer Puc can actually see green where dirt once was!  Pray for those little seeds,, their gonna need it!

THANK YOU TO ALL! Greatly appreciate the ideas, ALL of them! You VR clubbers have once again proven beyond a doubt, YOU are my kind of LOP EARED GURU VARMINTS! DSCN9252.JPG.8c88191a1f456b4e60fcd2e2cd541970.JPG

fertilizer too.  Water, food & sun are essential for most plants to grow.  I have the goodluck with Scotts fertilizers, though they are not the cheapest.  They have a mix for each season, spring, summer, fall, if I recall correctly.  They also have weed & feed mixes, but if you want to avoid using herbicides on your lawn (probably a good idea), stay away from those.

• Thanks 1

Dang you @cowpucyou Lop eared fur-less wabbit. When did you sneak back in here. Turn my back on the site for a couple days and the trouble makers just sneak right back in again :doh:

Now look since you is here and there aint nuthin more can be done about it. A may as well hep ya with ya weed er grass issue (iPSSSST it is just gass right...right) Ok forget all the advise ya got so far. The fact is we all know grass hates to grow were ya want it and prefers to grow were ya don't want it, like in drive cracks an such. Ya follern me so far good Cuss I can slow down if'n ya wants me to. So based on what we already knows the answer is simple. Alls ya gots to do is remove all the cracks in the ashphalt in the drive way and lay em all out spread out like a bit on the bald spots. before ya knows it them bald spots will just be coverd in grass. Course then ya be cursin caus ya gots all that there grass to cut but ya cna't has it boat ways ya know

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whatever you do, donut,,, I mean donnot cover the seed with a whole lot of dirt, actually lay the seed on top of the asphalt,, I mean soil and then just kind of walk it in. Then water it with a hose and gun enough so that the soil gets really shiny on top and makes a bit fluid mud, then move on. Look back to see if you can see any seeds and I think you'll find they are now mud colored. Perfect amount of soil!

Oh and don't listen to @saddlebum, all he ever grows is brown grass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luvmy40 said:

How did you get that seed spreeder personalised?

I know, right,, isnt that amazing! For as far back as I can remember companies have been making stuff just for me and me using that equipment bearing my name has actually worked very well in determining outcomes. Back in 69 I took 2nd place in my very 1st motocross race riding a Yamaha 250. I had chosen, of course, to wear "Scott" goggles and continued to wear "Scott" goggles throughout my racing career because of the outcome of that 1st race. Trophies started piling up. My competition began asking questions about where my dirtbike skills came from. I had several sponsors during that time and even got a local Honda shop who had noticed my name in the papers and they were instrumental in my change over from Yamaha to Honda in 1973 when the 1st Elsinores came out which I started riding that 1st year, the mighty CR250M became synotimous with SCOTT in my heart. I never did disclose to anyone that allll of my seemingly "heyy, this guys good on 2 wheels" comments were all attributable to those racing products bearing my name.  YOU, @luvmy40, have obviously noticed something VERY important here brother! When I noticed that same name on this seed tosser I KNEW I was once again onto something too, you have a very good eye Rich! Ironically, when I went to Menards to score a Weasel I also noticed my name, once again as I start this latest adVenture in the golden year focus of having a yard that looks like it belongs to someone who is long since retired from getting beat to death on MX tracks and who is now enjoying chasing chip monks in his yard and having the time to watch grass grow,  being boldly printed on the products I look forward to the outcome I KNOW is coming all because someone in charge of some company is watching very carefully and is producing products again just for me. I am so excited I could spit because I know as I use my Scott broadcaster to toss Scott fertilizer that will grow some AWESOME Scott "Tall Fescue" grass with a little Scott "Rye" and Scott "Kentucky Blue" when the deed is done. I know my neighbors from blocks around will come down and admire my yard and even my little John Deere tractor will thank me as it enjoys hours of trimming that lawn of those sweet smelling Scott grass products. Dang,, cant loose this time Rich! Someday down the road, when this life is over and I am riding wheelies on streets made of gold and Tip is once again wearing my left over Scott goggles to keep the heavenly winds of Wyoming up there from drying her eyes out from spending 24 hours in Tweeks saddle (once we get to that point sleep will no longer be necessary) I am gonna keep my eyes out for the Scott behind the scenes of my withering life here below and drop the front end/take a break from touring the endless highways of heaven with my best friend long enough to shake his hand and thank him for all he did for me in my brief but adventure filled life I am still blessed to be living. Heyyy,, something just dawned on me here Rich,,,,,,, can you tell by my lengthy response that I really am feeling a little better :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Dang you @cowpucyou Lop eared fur-less wabbit. When did you sneak back in here. Turn my back on the site for a couple days and the trouble makers just sneak right back in again :doh:

Now look since you is here and there aint nuthin more can be done about it. A may as well hep ya with ya weed er grass issue (iPSSSST it is just gass right...right) Ok forget all the advise ya got so far. The fact is we all know grass hates to grow were ya want it and prefers to grow were ya don't want it, like in drive cracks an such. Ya follern me so far good Cuss I can slow down if'n ya wants me to. So based on what we already knows the answer is simple. Alls ya gots to do is remove all the cracks in the ashphalt in the drive way and lay em all out spread out like a bit on the bald spots. before ya knows it them bald spots will just be coverd in grass. Course then ya be cursin caus ya gots all that there grass to cut but ya cna't has it boat ways ya know

t

27 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Whatever you do, donut,,, I mean donnot cover the seed with a whole lot of dirt, actually lay the seed on top of the asphalt,, I mean soil and then just kind of walk it in. Then water it with a hose and gun enough so that the soil gets really shiny on top and makes a bit fluid mud, then move on. Look back to see if you can see any seeds and I think you'll find they are now mud colored. Perfect amount of soil!

Oh and don't listen to @saddlebum, all he ever grows is brown grass.

The fertilizer you two have produced throughout the years of wonderful lop eared Kanuckian Kings of Laughter varmint conconcktery will also have a HUGE impact on the outcome of this endeavor I am sure! KEEP IT COMING, my grass will get greener and my hearts burdens lighter! LOVE YOU BOTH!

9 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Belief me @saddlebum Ben, I was just as surprised as you are that the powers that be allowed me back in!! Not sure how/why that happened, I guess maybe those in authority here are feeling the prongs of the aging thing too and maybe their judgement has been impaired a little or something. THANKS for the welcome here my precious brother! I just KNEW you wouldnt let me down, you lop eared CTFW at all times varmint!

1 hour ago, cowpuc said:

Belief me @saddlebum Ben, I was just as surprised as you are that the powers that be allowed me back in!! Not sure how/why that happened, I guess maybe those in authority here are feeling the prongs of the aging thing too and maybe their judgement has been impaired a little or something. THANKS for the welcome here my precious brother! I just KNEW you wouldnt let me down, you lop eared CTFW at all times varmint!

Aw shucks now ya got me blushin. Oh and don't listen to @Marcarlthat brown grass took me years and effort to develop. He is just jealous cuss while he knows that brown grass is maintenance free and while I am busy having fun or just relaxing he is busy trying to rid himself of that green stuff  which no matter how often he cuts it. That stubborn green stuff just keeps grown back on him.

• Haha 1

I'll give you a good laugh about grass.  We moved from Northern OH to Houston 15+ years ago. 1st time I'm mowing a neighbor comes out and starts telling me how I shouldn't mow in the middle of the day. Asking why he's "you'll die of heat stroke" because your from the north and not used to this heat. After I get done laughing I explain that the 15 - 30 minutes it takes me to mow this postage stamp lawn we have isn't going to give anyone heat stroke. Well I finished mowing and just cleaning up and started pulling this 'vine'/weed. Ove the next few weeks and months these things just keep getting worse - I couldn't get rid of them. I was telling a friend about the issue since he's a native Texan and he comes over to take a look. I show him what I was talking about and after he stops choking on his beer he looks at me and goes "That's your grass, dumb@#$." 🤣 I had never seen St Augustine grass before. LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Aw shucks now ya got me blushin. Oh and don't listen to @Marcarlthat brown grass took me years and effort to develop. He is just jealous cuss while he knows that brown grass is maintenance free and while I am busy having fun or just relaxing he is busy trying to rid himself of that green stuff  which no matter how often he cuts it. That stubborn green stuff just keeps grown back on him.

There you go Puc, enough of that fertilmilizer stuff to keep you and your neighbors going for years to come. Don't know how he manages to come up with so much of it all the time, just know that he is resourceful beyond belief. Be careful in how you use it though, I've heard too much will turn your grass brown and dead.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

There you go Puc, enough of that fertilmilizer stuff to keep you and your neighbors going for years to come. Don't know how he manages to come up with so much of it all the time, just know that he is resourceful beyond belief. Be careful in how you use it though, I've heard too much will turn your grass brown and dead.

You probably dont remember this but my last trip over to Kanuckian Land for a rally that @dogman filled in the gap for you cause you didnt want to be responsible for having to cook me that most delicious Carl Burger that you had offered me countless times but always seem to sneak away from you led us all on a ride to check out the scenery in the area. @saddlebum and  I were back in the rear of the pack goofing off as usual. @The Tooch was back there with us and we were having a pretty good time until we came to this place in the road where someone had spilled a bunch of the fertilizer we are talking about. I noticed that the trail of slippery stuff ended at a road side outhouse looking thing and the fields on the side of the road had real good coverage of green on it so I am sure you are correct, to much of the stuff and brown brown brown. As I recall though @Marcarl, you had mentioned in your 4 1/2 hour speech during riders meeting before we pulled out of Dogman's home, where I had spent the night listening to Dogman warn me of a couple fertilizer producers/spreaders in the group, that you, not Ben, had ridden the route we would be traveling the day before. You sure Saddlebum's company that produces the fertilizer is a Sole Propietership and not some kind of Joint Ownership? Just wondering..

2 hours ago, cowpuc said:

You probably dont remember this but my last trip over to Kanuckian Land for a rally that @dogman filled in the gap for you cause you didnt want to be responsible for having to cook me that most delicious Carl Burger that you had offered me countless times but always seem to sneak away from you led us all on a ride to check out the scenery in the area. @saddlebum and  I were back in the rear of the pack goofing off as usual. @The Tooch was back there with us and we were having a pretty good time until we came to this place in the road where someone had spilled a bunch of the fertilizer we are talking about. I noticed that the trail of slippery stuff ended at a road side outhouse looking thing and the fields on the side of the road had real good coverage of green on it so I am sure you are correct, to much of the stuff and brown brown brown. As I recall though @Marcarl, you had mentioned in your 4 1/2 hour speech during riders meeting before we pulled out of Dogman's home, where I had spent the night listening to Dogman warn me of a couple fertilizer producers/spreaders in the group, that you, not Ben, had ridden the route we would be traveling the day before. You sure Saddlebum's company that produces the fertilizer is a Sole Propietership and not some kind of Joint Ownership? Just wondering..

@Saddlebum is not much of a salesman, he's a long talker and long winded, but not so good at selling stuff. That's where I come in to help out, you know me, always trying to be helpful. Yah, he is the producer and none other can produce as well as he can, so I just let him to it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:27 PM, cowpuc said:

On 6/15/2022 at 5:44 PM, Marcarl said:

@Saddlebum is not much of a salesman, he's a long talker and long winded, but not so good at selling stuff. That's where I come in to help out, you know me, always trying to be helpful. Yah, he is the producer and none other can produce as well as he can, so I just let him to it.

You called it @cowpuc.If not for the joint ventureship with @Marcarlthe fertilizer Co. would not survive. Not only is he the top fertilizer producer but his gift of gab really is a major factor in spreading the fertilizer far and wide. 

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

You called it @cowpuc.If not for the joint ventureship with @Marcarlthe fertilizer Co. would not survive. Not only is he the top fertilizer producer but his gift of gab really is a major factor in spreading the fertilizer far and wide. 

I will just call this what it is: B.S. Bowel Sounds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, that's a lot of advice. I will add one thing. In Kansas you can take a soil sample to the county extension office and they will send it to the lab for analysis. The report typically shows what's missing and how much fertilizer to add for different crops, including grass. I bet your county Ag extension office offers a similar service. Good Luck!