Hello I had recently purchased a 1988 XVZ1300  and I had a few questions.

1 the motorcycle has the air ride controller but no wires going to it and I didn’t see a pump did all of the ventures come with air ride?

2 the clutch needs the fluid changed badly, is there anything special I need to do to bleed it?

3 cruise is not working open to suggestions on where I should start for that?

4 coolant leak— the owner before me laid the motorcycle over twice and the crash bar cracked the tube going to the water pump, so how do I find part numbers and parts for these bikes?

5 brakes— the front brake works great but the sight glass is broken— rear brakes don’t work the best so I will bleed them is there anything special I need to do to bleed it?318D01EF-6C06-45F3-A216-DDFFEBC18FAA.thumb.jpeg.afe12d096be7c4cc90a6b826082c656a.jpegFD195462-CFA2-44D8-B5E1-D0F1CCD504AC.thumb.jpeg.a4b47ef4074d999294402fd77b7d2087.jpeg

Thank you for all the help, Derek  

900442CE-AC0C-4906-A426-9566B5C6EC97.jpeg

1 the motorcycle has the air ride controller but no wires going to it and I didn’t see a pump did all of the ventures come with air ride?

The controller should have a multi plug connector to the under side of it, it might be buried inside the faring. The controller looks like it is need of replacement as well. The pump is under the top case and by the looks of the condition of the rest of the bike I would suggest to overhaul it (clean it inside and out) or just go with replacing it with individual shraeder valves.

2 the clutch needs the fluid changed badly, is there anything special I need to do to bleed it?

Just be careful not to let any air in the system, it can be a bugger to get out again. On the other hand I would suggest to take off the cylinders, master and slave to thoroughly clean them. Would safe a big headache down the road. While you are at it, do the same for the brakes.

3 cruise is not working open to suggestions on where I should start for that?

Maybe a fuse, switch in the clutch or brake handle or foot brake switch.

4 coolant leak— the owner before me laid the motorcycle over twice and the crash bar cracked the tube going to the water pump, so how do I find part numbers and parts for these bikes?

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

Or

Check out pinwall but don't go to Bikebandit, they are out of business.

5 brakes— the front brake works great but the sight glass is broken— rear brakes don’t work the best so I will bleed them is there anything special I need to do to bleed it?

As mentioned, I would take both cylinder off and clean them first, then refill with fresh fluid.

• Like 1

To add to what @Marcarl said about brakes…These bikes come with linked brakes.  So having the front work better indicates a serious lack in the pedal.  For arguments sake 66% of your braking power should come from the “rear” pedal brake.  Yes a specific order is desired for the pedal brake bleeding, off the top of my head I believe it’s the rear, front left, then there is a bleed nipple up by the steering head.

Welcome to the group... 

First thing I would do is download the service manual for your motorcycle. It can be access from this link...  https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1986-1993 Yamaha Venture Service Manual.pdf

Second take a look thru the tech library section for the 1st gens.  https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forum/15-venture-and-venture-royale-tech-library-83-93-read-only/

You will find a lot of your questions have been answered in there but still ask them if you arent sure on something.

First thing I would do is replace all of your fluids in the bike, including draining the gas tank as you dont know how old that gas is. Open the gas cap and take a whiff will give you an idea of its age.  Change the engine oil, differential fluid, grease the wheel bearings, fork oil, brake and clutch fluids, etc. The manual has a good section on what to do and how to do it.

For parts, Ebay is a good source for used ones and I prefer and use Parts Shark for my new factory Yamaha parts..  www.partshark.com

The do have the joint that is broken on your bike as well as the o-rings for it. Look for item 20 in this page. https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042d2ef8700209bc789efc/water-pump

They do discount their parts and do mail order and I have had no issues with them and I have used their prices to see if an Ebay item is priced correctly. I have found Partshark to be cheaper then ebay sellers.

These are fun bike to ride and working on them isnt too bad.. 

Good luck and have fun.

Rick F.

Thank you all for your reply’s I’m hopefully going to pull the clutch master and slave now to clean them.

I will definitely give the parts websites a look when I get a chance.

and as for the air ride I had already pulled all the plastics off the bike one night when I didn’t have work and I didn’t see any connectors floating around over by the airside controller.

8237DB6B-5D3B-4C24-B450-2230E6F87638.jpeg

FCBC904D-E94F-478F-8FE4-D1394FA75FDA.jpeg

You will find the air pump and selector valves underneath the travel trunk behind the seat under a black plastic cover.  Looking at my service manual, the plug for the CLASS controller is a 9 pin white plug. Pages 7-73 to 7-96 explain how the system works and how to test the system if it isnt working properly and shows the shape of the connector to help you locate it.  Also the CLASS system, air ride, only works when the bike is in the accessory position on the ignition switch. Hopefully the previous owner hasnt cut and removed any of the wires and connectors.

On the clutch system, I would rebuild the master cylinder and slave cylinder and and maybe replace the hoses with steel braided ones. You be surprised how much those hoses swell when applying the clutch or the brakes.

Let us know if you have other questions

Rick F.

2 hours ago, cimmer said:

You will find the air pump and selector valves underneath the travel trunk behind the seat under a black plastic cover.  Looking at my service manual, the plug for the CLASS controller is a 9 pin white plug. Pages 7-73 to 7-96 explain how the system works and how to test the system if it isnt working properly and shows the shape of the connector to help you locate it.  Also the CLASS system, air ride, only works when the bike is in the accessory position on the ignition switch. Hopefully the previous owner hasnt cut and removed any of the wires and connectors.

On the clutch system, I would rebuild the master cylinder and slave cylinder and and maybe replace the hoses with steel braided ones. You be surprised how much those hoses swell when applying the clutch or the brakes.

Let us know if you have other questions

Rick F.

I did end up cleaning the clutch master and slave and the clutch works great now.

I also cleaned and bleed the rear brakes and they seem to be working much better.

As for the air ride system I don’t have a pump and I don’t see any of the wiring for it, so I would assume a previous owner got rid of the wires for it sadly.097B52D1-85BA-46F8-8721-11A4FFBE2D8D.thumb.jpeg.bb671cba01140b317922d13f753b136a.jpeg097B52D1-85BA-46F8-8721-11A4FFBE2D8D.thumb.jpeg.bb671cba01140b317922d13f753b136a.jpeg3E5A4302-425A-4D5D-A940-F04136C91A98.thumb.jpeg.304e10306fd95ed878d701276f90ce99.jpegE1136D43-9210-4A77-827A-FF06D5406E2B.thumb.jpeg.b7aa50767dfb7d76515d553cf5a08275.jpeg

If I recall, only the Venture Royales had the Class system on them. I also think that by 1988, you could only get the Venture Royale and not just a Venture. The Royales came with the Class and radio system on them. So first question is on the side bags, do you seem a emblem that says Royale on them or anywhere else on the bike?

I am thinking the previous owner removed the compressor and control valves from the bike. I can see the mounting legs that held the plate with the assemble on the bike under the front part of the rear rack. So people have converted the Class to the non-Class system which is a schrader air valve that is usually located on the left side of the bike where you can adjust the damping for the rear air shock. The also place one up near the center of the forks to adjust the air there. You might have to do some searching for them and see if you can find some black air hoses that use to run to the back of the bike on the right upper side of the frame.  I think the previous owner left the controler in the fairing just so he wouldnt have a hole to fill.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Rick F.

• Like 1

@cimmer I have attached pictures of the logo on the saddle bags I know the bike as it sits now has a working cb and AM FM radio and hopefully a working cruise control now. Also the shocks on it have been converted to Schrader valves and all I was told from the previous owner was that the air pump was “bypassed”.

0DA129F5-5752-4B3B-B807-76CE19853CB4.jpeg

1903BA92-A07B-48F8-989E-FE57AD8FF12F.jpeg

• Like 1

Well the logos indicate that you do not have a Royale version unless the owner replaced some of the body parts on your bike. 

So yes he did remove the airpump and its assorted equipment other than the controller in the right fairing panel.  Up to you if you want to try and get this working but I think I would just use it as it is for now.

Good luck and keep the question coming..

Rick F.

Usually if they came without there would be two tire type valves to air up the suspension. one for the rear and one for the front. If had the class system and he stripped it out I would think that he would have installed tire valves. 

Little update here.. 1988 Yamaha did offer a standard Venture and a Venture Royale edition.

The standard Venture was painted Salt Lake Silver and the VR was painted Creamy White or Graceful Maroon according to the website I referenced.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

The previous owner did show me the location for the front and rear air valves I was just confused because it had the air ride controller either way for now I will either buy a hand pump or 12v pump to air them up.

good news I removed the carburetors today to clean them and order new seals and they were fairly clean on the inside no major build up or dirt.

I did have one question though I would like to put new plugs in the motorcycle and was wondering what number from NGK was recommended for theses bikes.