IGNORED

Broken teeth at Middle Drive Gear

Good day. New member here in Northern Alabama. I searched related topics but could not find an answer.
I Picked up a 1989 Venture Royale in original condition with 44K miles. Bike had not been started for 5 years. After cleaning carbs, changing fluids, freeing up brake calipers and cleaning all electrical connections, the bike fired up beautifully. As I set sail on the maiden first ride, a noticeable rotational clatter came from the transmission area as I let out the clutch. The clatter frequency increased with road speed when under load. 
I pulled the left side transmission cover (the one with six Allen head screws. Small amount of oil drained from the bottom hole at 6 o’clock. I found about 6-10 gear teeth fragments (1 or two were about half inch in length and you could see the spiral shape). 
Aside from the risk of fragments floating elsewhere, my question is “can the middle drive gear be replaced without pulling the engine?”  I’m thinking possibly could be by pulling driveshaft and swing arm but looking for first hand knowledge. 

Thanks in advance. 
Steve 

You will need to pull the engine, turn it upside down, remove the oil pan and then deal with what you run into. It's a bit of a job, but very interesting. The engine and transmission share the same oil and oil pan. The sooner you do it, the less further damage there will be. Come back for more info and encouragement.

Actually, pulling the motor isnt that bad with 2 people doing it. turn the motor over and it can go quickly. Look over the service manual on the procedure before doing it and that will help.

Good luck

Rick F.

Welcome to Venture riders from Talladega, Alabama. If you are interested in first gens for parts or other wise contact Venturous Randy in Johnson city Tennessee, the last time we talked he still has a couple.