IGNORED

Bertha Wants a Trunk Rack - Your Suggestions Please

Hurley Byrd

Bertha and I were chatting the other night and she wants a new rack attached to here truck. She's hoping to add a little more junk to her truck. :)  My RSV is a 2005.  I was looking at the trunk lid and it seems rather flimsy to me. I'm not wanting to haul firewood up there or anything like that. Add a sleep bag or a tent, etc... At the extreme, maybe a bag of dog food now and again.

Who has used what and your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter and Bertha of WV

Can't remember what I bought but it was an aftermarket unit. Just make sure it has rubber gaskets and washers in the 4 posts that go through the lid. It is flimsy plastic. Mine is full with rain gear, scarf, jacket liner and misc things like electrolite packets for water, kleenex, etc. Not one problem.

In fact, after a cross country trip, I never bothered to take the Kuryakin bag off. It's still there and still packed. No issues.

20180628_075534.jpg

20180604_085540.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freebird said:

I looked up racks on eBay and only found full trucks with racks. But it did allow a closer look.  One of the things teh OEM rack offers is a support strap under teh legs. That seems like a good idea. I bet you are right..... finding just a rack will be difficult.  Time will tell.

I've seen several that will work but the original Yamaha rack is my preference.  Just looks the best in my opinion.  A bit harder to find right now but that is what I would look for.

9 hours ago, videoarizona said:

I like this rack for sure. It looks good and seems to have great functionality.  I search for this exact rack but none to be found...... until eBay. LOL   There is one listed now but appears to have a fair amount of corrosion at the welds. Kind of hard to tell from the photos but it appears to be corroded.  I'll keep looking but I like this rack.  Thanks for the photos.

Pete

9 hours ago, videoarizona said:

Can't remember what I bought but it was an aftermarket unit. Just make sure it has rubber gaskets and washers in the 4 posts that go through the lid. It is flimsy plastic. Mine is full with rain gear, scarf, jacket liner and misc things like electrolite packets for water, kleenex, etc. Not one problem.

In fact, after a cross country trip, I never bothered to take the Kuryakin bag off. It's still there and still packed. No issues.

20180628_075534.jpg

20180604_085540.jpg

I took some pictures of my mystery rack. Understand, it's been on there for 4 years now with the Kuryakin Bag on top and no issues with the trunk lid cracking. And the bag is full with soft stuff as mentioned earlier.

So yea, I would agree that having metal straps braces underneath is good...I never bothered to do so.

On the pictures underneath the lid, the rack bolts are the small ones on each corner of the picture!

David

20220512_093029.jpg

20220512_093014.jpg

20220512_092918.jpg

20220512_092905.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, PastorCurt said:

The Kuryakyn website shows a 7159 for all Yamaha Ventures.

Multi-Rack Adjustable Trunk Luggage Rack, Chrome
Fits:
Gold Wing: All GL1800 & 1500 Models (Except F6B) & Trikes
Harley: All H-D Touring & Trike Models with King, Ultra, Chopped or Razor Tour-Paks
Kawasaki: All Voyager Models
Victory: All Cross Country, Cross Country Tour, Magnum Models & Hard-Ball equipped with Tour Trunks (Not for Vision Models)
Yamaha: All Venture Models
Multi-Fit: Flat, Curved, & Slanted Tour Trunks with a rigid top utilizing adjustable mounting posts - Requires 6" Long x 13" Wide mounting area

If that number doesn’t work try Kuryakyn p/n 7158. They have been taken over by Tucker Rocky so ordering might be a little different. That number is not model specific but is easy to install as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, videoarizona said:

Obviously the eBay rack is a Chinese knock off...... And I hate to say this but.........  the Chinese quality of all goods is going through the roof and there is no doubt they have been on a continuous improvement program for years.  I buy a lot of tool, parts, etc... for the biz and unless it is a critical tool or a tool that will receive a LOT of use..... I buy Chinese knock offs and have for years. The quality simply gets better and better and better. I suspect this rack is reasonable but I still bet the chrome DOES NOT outlast a Kuryakyn. They HAVE to find avenues to cut costs.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, videoarizona said:

Looks close. But I found the invoice for mine..? It was a Kuryakyn...

That's a great price if the chrome is any good!