IGNORED

Just got an 1984 Venture Royale 1200 - She's in need of Carburator help and WAS starting on choke only before I cleaned it - old gas too.

Hey guys! LOVE this forum. I read through a bunch of Carb stuff on tips to get them off, came in handy today.

1) Bought bike from an OLD guy who gave up, it had been sitting for maybe 2 years, gas is apparently 1+ year old and he put a can of seafoam in there (I added one myself)

2) Inspecting the carbs I noticed they looked wet, it had just stormed. Tried starting the bike, VERY slow crank, sounded like sticky pistons.

3) Brought bike home, pulled plugs, added seafoam, hit the starter 10 minutes later and no stuck pistons! Cleared the seafoam out. Added new plugs.

4) Tried starting the bike, it starts!!!! Only when holding the choke all the way open. I did get it down to like half but she just dies out. Any throttle will kill the bike.

5) Pulled Carbs, cleaned them -- very dirty, found a mud wasp (dead)! - used carb cleaner + air hose and blew out everything I could see and find.

-----------

6) Carbs reassembled (omg that sucked), tried starting it - no start. I think the battery might be tired as I accidently hit the kill switch lol, spent 30 minutes on it, checking spark etc only to notice later. Battery is now at about 11.8 volts.

7) I was able to get it started on full choke when I added my battery booster but that too is dead! Farts. Currently charging everything and waiting impatiently to see if my $600 dollar bike will live!

QUESTIONS:

- The old gas: I'm thinking it might have water / moisture, I think I'll drain the carbs tonight and suck the gas out, replace with new gas just to eliminate this issue all together. But as it started on full choke and ran for 3 minutes shouldn't the gas be OK? 

- Battery at 11.8v: It does have enough juice to start it for a second but I can hear it spinning slower. I know on snow mobiles you gota have a FULL battery to start. Same thing here? 

- I'm not exactly sure where the pilot jet is for idle, 99% sure I cleaned it. I took off a part in the float bowl that had a gasket, they did tear in a few places but I'm not super concerned as it was only on the screws that held it down. Would this torn gasket result in no start? 

Summary: I feel like carb is fine, I've cleaned a lot of them now lol. I LOVE the metal float needles omg why isn't that a standard... Fuel is running fine. Hoping it's just weak battery. Would love to hear your thoughts! Cheers from Canada.

279805249_10159184499123778_8020028595752340585_n.jpg

Also thinking now I may have flooded the engine and plugs are wet/saturated in gas. Hopefully this will clear by the time the battery is done charging (HOURS later). I mean, it did run for like 5 seconds on full choke then died. 

ALSO! This entire process was done WITHOUT the air box / filter, which I am seeing now makes the bike run funny? It's on there good and sealed now while the battery is charging.

• Like 1

Congrats on the find, great bikes. 
I’d start with fresh gas for sure. 
Be careful with a charger/booster, it can fry the TCI.

Also WELCOME to the group. The 1st gen gurus will be around to help soon. 

Edited by RDawson

Unscrew the spark plug caps from the wires and look at the copper core in the wires.  The seal between the cap and wire is not waterproof and the copper core tends to corrode.  If corroded, you can usually snip off a half inch or more of wire to get to clean copper.  You may want to check the caps resistance.  Factory caps are 9 to 10k ohms.  Aftermarket NGK caps are 5k ohms.  A weak spark will require a richer mixture  I think.  By the way, the starters on these bikes are weak.  It was about 91 before Yamaha went from a 2 brush starter to a 4 brush starter that cured the slow hot start.  The later starters will swap out with yours  

UPDATE! I just went out, battery was 90% full so lets try it.

Full choke, she does sputter up to life for a second, I get a good solid put put put put and she's running but then dies out. Runs for 2/3 seconds.

Also, why do I have a red blinking light? (Seen here as a solid light)

image.thumb.jpeg.b4237000896029f6b1e3b8f17027d0f5.jpeg

Welcome to the group and on getting a Venture Royale.

First off I would add a half of can of seafoam to the new gas if not even a full can..  Next before trying to start it, reinstall the air cleaner box and filter with the top of the box installed also.  These carbs need the restriction to function correctly and will not run with it removed at mid to full throttle. You can remove the top of the box to observe the sliders and see if all 4 are moving when idling. This help to figure out if you have a plugged air passage or not.  I would go ahead and start the bike with the seafoam in the tank but maybe rock the bike some to mix the seafoam with the gas..  usually you would add the seafoam and then fill with gas. Let the bike fun for maybe 10 to 15 mins and then shut it off and let it be overnight so the seafoam can do its magic.

Next day get on it and start it up and run it like you stole it, working the throttle all over the place and see if you feel and hear an improvement in the running.

If you need a new battery, I have had excellent result with a Deka built AGM battery and using a smart charger to maintain it.

I hope this helps and let us know how this works for you.

Rick F.

Ahah omg -- I've just read that I want to back the choke off immediately as she starts... ok let's go play. It's only 10pm shouldn't piss off too many neighbors or wake the kids -- WORTH IT ahah.

Just weird it was running BEFORE the carb clean on choke, and now barely at all with the carbs cleaned. Was expecting her to fire right up!

• Like 1

Nope no dice starting her. She is firing up on this old gas for a second, and she did run before hand with choke on. 

guess I’ll have to recheck the carbs, maybe soak them really good. 

Question on the pilot jets, I didn’t remove them, just blew thru the hole abs could see one was CLEARLY blocked. Watching a video and his random pilot jet on another machine has holes in the bottom — is that the case here? They’d likely still be clogged if so!

Nope no dice starting her. She is firing up on this old gas for a second, and she did run before hand with choke on. 

guess I’ll have to recheck the carbs, maybe soak them really good. 

just checking manual. I cleaned these out really well. Main and pilot. Perhaps more debris got in there, at this point I gota double check anyway 😕

0F835C0F-53AE-4458-80E9-C2D39995891C.jpeg

Not sure if this O-Ring is there on possibly 2 of the carburetors, 1 for certain didn't have it. 
27 - that's the one Im missing, it's just a washer but maybe screws things up.

image.thumb.png.3b0d9bc712170afc8eedf01ff3894f3c.png

Going to replace gasket 22 in all 4, each one of them tore slightly. 

image.png.aee202026714cd425a737115a77592da.png

Edited by Solace

Can't sleep, motorcycle on the brain. I think I'm actually too lean, and have an AWESOME read up here: https://venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002010&id=168

I wasn't really thinking about it but I am getting bangs and pops. I didn't want to mess with air mixture but I think at this point someone probably messed with them over the years. Gonna try 2 turns in and go from there.

According to the dash indicators, the red light is telling you your battery water is low and brake fluid is low. I can't remember if that is the front or rear MC sensor.

I'd recommend investing some $ in quality parts for the carbs and do a complete rebuild.Mike Eykamp- a.k.a. The Diamond Cut Guy used to sell a rebuilt carb swap at a reasonable price. Still expensive, but considering the parts and labor involved, very reasonable. 

You also might want to consider an after market CDI from Ignitech. Worth every penny.

Edited by luvmy40

First off welcome to the club from Burlington ON. @Solace. You will soon hear from other Ontario riders as we are a pretty close knit division of VR. Are main Purpose is to keep the American members on the straight and narrow. :2133:.

Back to your carbs. Though in many  cases flushing the carb with carb cleaner is very effective. using air to blow through the passages depending on pressure used can also move debris into the wrong places. You want to also gently Reach down with a screwdriver and see If the sliders move  freely they can sometimes stick when the bike has been sitting for awhile. Remove the diaphragm covers and check the diaphragms for pin holes or worse. While the are out give the carb another flush with carb cleaner. Remove the fuel supply lines from the carb and open the drains. flush lots carb cleaner into each fuel inlet and and let it drain out through the open drains. You follow up with some gentle air pressure but be careful here.

Here is another technique  Cleaning First Gen Carbs On The Bike.pdf

If none of this works its time for a complete tear down and overhaul.

Another thing you want check out is the wiring connects your cdi They could be green and corroded You can get at them by removinig the battery and battery tray. I used a good electrical contact cleaner following up with a god flush with ACF50 and the bike ran like new. previously #3 cylinder was not firing and I almost replaced the CDI unit with a an ignitec unit (which by the way is still sitting on my shelf). The bike ran so well I did not feel the need to install it.

Edited by saddlebum

It’s gota be dirty still. Ran it for a while on choke, it seemed a little more happy. I just revved on choke for the first time and she actually gave a rev! Ok right on. Yeah 

She is running with no choke! Gota hold down the throttle a little but I can even full rev without choke! I might just boost up the idle speed for a bit and she if she drives. Exciting!