IGNORED

Carb sync tool

ReinyRooster

So I need to buy myself a carb sync tool so I don't have to rely on someone else with the tool to assist me. There is the style that I am familiar with that has the mercury tubes or there is the other type with the 4 needle gauges. 

Any comments of why one might be better then the other? The mercury tube style it about twice the price of the other type.

Thanks.

Rooster

19 minutes ago, XV1100SE said:

https://www.carbtune.com/ is what I have....and don't mind helping out a neighbour !

I will second that suggestion, for the average Joe its pretty much the best choice. With four needle gauges you have to be sure they are in sync with each other or you will get incorrect readings. Some high end ones can be re-calibrated prior to putting them to work but you pay well for those. Mercury ones I believe are no longer made since mercury has pretty much been banned.

You shouldn't have to tune very often. Why you need to do a tune is to balance the in going air into the cylinder and that is controlled by the carb linkage. So in fact what you would be doing is adjusting for wear in the linkages. I would say that if you did it once every 2 years or 50k km you should be good. Now if you rip tearing at things under the tank and adjust the wrong screw, then to get things right again you will need a carbtune.

• Like 1

I bought the motion pro manometer type and I was disappointed.  They had bubbles.  I called the manufacturer and was told I needed to buy a refill kit.  I sold them cheap and bought a gauge set that I am happy with.  Just to make sure, I connected all four tubes and pulled a vacuum with my hand held mity vac and all the gauges read the same.  

Hey Folks,

Interesting topic! I have both the gauge type, and the CarbTtune. The amount of Vacuum that the gauges read is irrelevant. It's the difference between each cylinder that needs to be balanced. I sync my Carbs. every spring, but I have OCD! (And I own the Gauge!) Either gauge will do the job as long as you can VERIFY that all four gauges read the same value an a given vacuum. 

If you are finding that your Carbs. are out of sync many times during a riding season, then the BUSHINGS in the linkage are worn, and need to be replaced. Keeping in mind that the last model year for the Second Gen. was nine years ago, and the first year of production for the MKI Venture was 39 years ago, it would be safe to say that these little tiny nylon bushings have seen a LOT, even if you have a newer bike! A metal rod pivots on these bushings every time you roll on the throttle, and they are under spring tension even if you are cruising at the same speed for an extended period of time. These parts have a crucial job, and are often overlooked in my opinion. Ownership of the gauge set is not mandatory, Checking the sync yearly IS! 

Just sayin',

Earl

• Thanks 2

On 5/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, ReinyRooster said:

So I need to buy myself a carb sync tool so I don't have to rely on someone else with the tool to assist me. ....

Checked his carbs yesterday... were already nicely balanced

On 5/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Marcarl said:

You shouldn't have to tune very often. Why you need to do a tune is to balance the in going air into the cylinder and that is controlled by the carb linkage. So in fact what you would be doing is adjusting for wear in the linkages. I would say that if you did it once every 2 years or 50k km you should be good. Now if you rip tearing at things under the tank and adjust the wrong screw, then to get things right again you will need a carbtune.

I also don't tune all the time.  In fact is has been 3 years since the last one.  Bike still runs great.