IGNORED

Clutch grab?

I have an 07 with 23,000 miles. I replaced the clutch diaphragm, removed the 1/2 clutch pad and hardware. I installed a Yamaha full sized clutch plate in it's place. When I'm starting out from a stand still, the clutch "pulses". Like it's grabbing and releasing, especially when it's cold. I've taken the clutch apart and verified the thickness of my original plates, and everything is within spec, like brand new. I installed the original pad and hardware, removing the full size pad. The pulsing is gone. I'm guessing it's the new clutch plate. Has anyone else run into this? I'm considering replacing all the clutch plates. Thoughts?

Generally clutch pulsing is the result of warped discs same as a brake pulse. I would probably  replace the clutch and and pressure plate. Also make sure your hydraulics is completely releasing  pressure to the slave cylinder or whether or not the slave is hanging up for some reason and not fully backing off.

Edited by saddlebum

I flushed the hydraulics last fall. When I install the stock parts there is no shudder, but the clutch doesn't disengage until the last 1/4 of travel. Very short engagement area. With the Yamaha full size pad, the clutch uses most of the travel of the lever, like all my other bikes. I'm thinking I may just replace the clutch pads and be done with it.

4 hours ago, Schreib said:

I flushed the hydraulics last fall. When I install the stock parts there is no shudder, but the clutch doesn't disengage until the last 1/4 of travel. Very short engagement area. With the Yamaha full size pad, the clutch uses most of the travel of the lever, like all my other bikes. I'm thinking I may just replace the clutch pads and be done with it.

Put in the whole Barrnet system and be done with it.