IGNORED

Seat nut

I buy plastic wing nuts at the hardware store.  I believe they are 1/4 inch, coarse thread.  The studs on the bike are metric but the plastic threads on SAE wing nuts will thread on a little tight and conform to the metric.  This helps keep them vibrating off.   No need to over tighten.  Just snug

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, vzuden said:

I buy plastic wing nuts at the hardware store.  I believe they are 1/4 inch, coarse thread.  The studs on the bike are metric but the plastic threads on SAE wing nuts will thread on a little tight and conform to the metric.  This helps keep them vibrating off.   No need to over tighten.  Just snug

Same here. Nice and snug and never vibrates loose.

I need something for the left side seat nut that lets me get a hold on it. I have no feeling in my left hand finger tips and that, combined with the valve cover heat deflector (or whatever purpose it serves) means I fight to get that nut started and end up dropping it 100 times before I call my wife to get it started.

I have no problem with the right side nut. 

I'm sure the real problem is with the nut on my shoulders.😜

3 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

I need something for the left side seat nut that lets me get a hold on it. I have no feeling in my left hand finger tips and that, combined with the valve cover heat deflector (or whatever purpose it serves) means I fight to get that nut started and end up dropping it 100 times before I call my wife to get it started.

I'm sure the real problem is with the nut on my shoulders.😜

Just leave them off, the seat isn't going anywhere with you sitting on it.

7 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Just leave them off, the seat isn't going anywhere with you sitting on it.

If you do that and the bike ever needs to be towed on an open trailer, take the seat off or put a binder strap over it, because it will take flight and then you are buying a new seat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Been riding RSV now for 9 years and over 8 of those are with ONLY the right nut on the seat and it is a nylon wing nut (1/4-20) from Lowe's. Sometimes I ride with it not on there, but most of the time it's there.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is awkward to get to them. I used a rubber expansion nut placed on backwards.  The threads are 6mm - 1.0.  They hold tight and can be put on and off without tools.  I found them at a well-stocked Ace Hardware. You can get them at Amazon by searching under "rubber expansion nut."  

Exp_Nut_6mm-1---.jpg