IGNORED

What do you cook with on a camping Mc trip?

Pasta Burner

This may finally be the summer I get a road trip…even if it’s only a few days.  Back in my scouting days 10+ years ago I did a fair amount of backpacking.  I relate motorcycle packing similar, bags within bags for organization, as well as the concept of small and light.  Backpacking though meant carrying food supplies for multiple days planning on one pot meals so a simple MSR whisper light or two was more than enough.  Being on the bike and having the ability to buy fresh food and make a camp meal rather than a simple sustenance meal.  What do you guys take for cooking supplies?

We pull a trailer so there's a bit more cargo space. We have a small, butane single burner, picked up from a restaurant supply store. Cheap, small and easy to pack. The trailer gives the luxury of taking  some actual pots and pans, but  a metal army mess kit would be more that enough for roughing it.

• Like 1

I also pulled a trailer. I had one of those small propane grills. I found a cast iron rectangular griddle at a yard sale that fit the grill like it was made for it. Everything I made was either on the griddle or grilled. There was enough room inside of the grill to store 2 propane bottles and the CI griddle.

Food and drink and ice for up to 4 days was in the cooler on the tongue of the trailer.

I froze water bottles and anything else that could be frozen in the deep freezer to get them down to -15F so the first 2 days many of the things in the cooler stayed frozen. I an sure that with a modern cooler like the Yeti coolers that things would stay cold for much longer.

• Like 1

My motorcycle camping does not stray far off from my back packing or canoe tripping.  I use a svea 123 camp stove same as when camping. The exception being the use of fresh foods versus freeze-dried or dehydrated when I can get them though I still carry some just in case. If you get farm fresh unwashed eggs, that have not been refrigerated, they will easily last  up to two weeks without refrigerating. Camping at rally's is usually restaurants with the rest of the group but I still bring my little svea 123 and a coffee pot.

495829072_svea123.jpg.a8e89b66763a897fa607578111c339fd.jpg

• Like 1

When I used to do this a lot (before wife and kids) I always carried home made fire starters. I would grab wood from around where I would be and start a ground fire. I always had a small hatchet with me. For the meals I always carried tin foil and made foil packs. This way I could stop at a small store and grab what I wanted. I only carried a small metal cup, a metal spork and used my pocket knife to eat.  The metal cup was good for boiling an egg if I had them but mostly cowboy coffee. I also only use water from nearby streams. I used to drink directly from them and by todays standards I should be dead just from the water.

Fire starters were basically a cardboard egg carton add a mix of saw dust/shavings and wax, (thick on the saw dust) and add a candle wick sometimes but the egg carton worked just fine. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, Marcarl said:

Road side kitchens for us, if and when we go, sometimes they even have places to sit and relax and those private things called toilets.

It seems that the simple things in life are always important to all of us

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 11:14 AM, bpate4home said:

When I used to do this a lot (before wife and kids) I always carried home made fire starters. I would grab wood from around where I would be and start a ground fire. I always had a small hatchet with me. For the meals I always carried tin foil and made foil packs. This way I could stop at a small store and grab what I wanted. I only carried a small metal cup, a metal spork and used my pocket knife to eat.  The metal cup was good for boiling an egg if I had them but mostly cowboy coffee. I also only use water from nearby streams. I used to drink directly from them and by todays standards I should be dead just from the water.

Fire starters were basically a cardboard egg carton add a mix of saw dust/shavings and wax, (thick on the saw dust) and add a candle wick sometimes but the egg carton worked just fine. 

I remember doing all that in my younger years. Oh the memories. Another fire starter I also used was soaking news paper with hot parafin wax then roll them up into tight 1 inch dowels while still soft. once they cooled I cut them into 1 to 1-1/2' pieces. To start a fire you peel back about an inch of the roll for a wick and light. They burned for a long time and were unaffected if they got wet. Little folding twig stoves are also amazingly light and effective.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1