IGNORED

Hydro Locking

Hey all. I just got me a new 22k 2008 Yamaha RSV. Bike is immaculate and runs beautifully, previous owner rode it for 10 years without issue. He changed oil and filters regularly.

two things.

The bike pops and burbles under engine breaking, don't know if its just the bubs mufflers or a tuning issue. my other previous RSV, 03 and 08 did not, but had quieter pipes. I don't see any fule leaks or anything odd, was just wondering if its normal.

2nd, had someone message me about hydro locking and what to watch out for. Bike has always lived in the south west, Arizona, now nevada. Is this something I should be concerned about? I switch the petcock off after every ride. Does fuel mix matter, can only get ethanol mixed 81 or 91, or 100 non ethanol race gas.

vt3.jpg

vt2.jpg

vt1.jpg

Pretty scoot....

Answers: fuel mix doesn't matter with regards to deceleration popping, or engine running or hydro locking. Not sure what you were referring to.

The popping is due to unburned fuel firing off in the pipes. Lean condition. Normal due to emissions. 

Hydro lock can occur with these bikes, or any bike that had gas tank on top and carbs. If the float in a carb sticks open, fuel can run down into the motor. 

So yea, I turn petcock off all the time as well. Just simply insurance to do so.

As far as fuel, I run normal 89 octane stuff. Bike likes it just fine. Occasionally I put some Seafoam in tank and leave it there as I ride. Just to keep things clean. 

Enjoy the ride!!

David

My scoot in Arizona...picture

20180107_114108.jpg