IGNORED

Poll: as a non professional, how many bars of Lava do you go through in a year?

Pasta Burner

I have two large pump bottles of orange hand cleaner - one in the garage/shop, one in the house.  They last about 2 years each.  It has gotten better since I started wearing nitrile gloves when working on really dirty stuff.

RR

• Like 1

I use the old fashioned white water-less hand cleaner with lanolin. Being as how I clean my hands a dozen times or so a day I find the orange stuff drys my hands out and become more and more difficult to clean. If they  are really dirty, Like working on a big fifth wheel, I pre-clean them with transmission oil prior to using the hand cleaner. I rarely wear the gloves as I find them difficult to work with and get used to. Lately I have found using mane and tail horse shampoo, full strength with out water to be very effective. Just use like water-less hand cleaner and once the grease and grime is fully liquefied  rinse with water.

I have used all four.  Dawn, Goop, Lava and  Orange.   If I remember I rub some Dawn into my hands and let it dry.  Makes cleanup a lot easier.  Don't like to wear gloves. Just bought two bottles of the orange.  Will get some Goop also (seems to clean around fingernails easier...)

I actually like the DL cream hand cleaner better than goop. Have used it for years does not dry your hands out and since I do not have water in my garage its great that it just wipes off with a rag or paper towel. Because I use it without water i get the stuff without grit as I find the grit difficult to wipe off when used without water. I have a dispenser specifically for it which does a great job in keeping it fro liquefying the way it would if you left it sitting open. and even if it does it still works. otherwise just transfer some into a smaller container.

Permatex 01407 Blue Label Smooth Cream Hand Cleaner, 2kg

As I mentioned earlier I also found quite by accident that in a pinch mane and tail shampoo used full strength without water is also very effective. Just rub until the dirt liquefies and then rinse or wipe off. 

The Original Mane 'n Tail® Shampoo - image 1 of 3

Edited by saddlebum

Zero, I haven't used lava in decades. At work I use Zep Cherry Bomb, it seems to work the best for me out of all if them. The orange used to be good, but it seems to have gotten weaker in years past. When I shower I use my Pert hair shampoo and a hard bristle nail brush to clean the imbedded grime on my hands and arms, that works well for me.