IGNORED

1983 XVZ1200 Pushing Gas out of Carb Vent

larrydr

I was certain I had my 83 ready for the road ..I started it today move it from one side of my shop to the other and back onto the lift for a final inspection ...I noticed gas dripping from under the bike , and the fuel pump would not stop running ...I changed the pump out put supply line the feeds the carbs , with no change ...I found that there are hoses connected to the air vents on the carbs , the line from the left rear carbs was throwing out gasoline ..Well I guess I am not ready for the road , all though I am glad that it happened at home and not somewhere out on the road ...This my first Venture and these carbs are new to me  , so got out the shop manual and studied the Carb diagrams ..   My past experience tells me to pull all the carbs and do them all ....Is this a common thing these carbs do ..?

It happens, not to all of them but it is common. Tap the side of the carb while the pump is running and it might solve the problem, if not take off the feed tube and push some carb cleaner into it, let it sit for a bit and try again with the pump. If that don't do it, it may be time for a carb rebuild.

I have running the bike through the winter ( about a half hour at a time with no trouble )  ...The tank ran out about about a month ago and I let sit dry till yesterday ..Most all gas stations have gone to a blended fuel version of fuel ...I filled the tank with blended gas and first I had a flooding condition  , before the vent discharge ....A lot of guys running the high compression motors are have trouble ...There have a number of vehicles getting towed with a compression of over 11 to 1 ...

The float needle has some trash under it and won't seal.  It happens on carbed motorcycles.  I think Cowpuc had a procedure where he connected to the drain and pushed cleaner up into the carb fuel bowl and let it drain and repeat.  

• Like 1

open the fuel bowl drain and disconnect the fuel inlet hose from the faulty carb. Then connect a hose from a can of carb cleaner to the the fuel inlet pipe and flush it through letting the cleaner drain out through the carb drain. If your careful you can follow up by blowing compressed air through at a controlled very low pressure make sure the fuel bowl drain is still open.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

@Bluesky & @ saddlebum ...This  malfunction led to me find a couple of things going on with the carbs , 2 carbs had dirty stuck slides on the  front cylinders , and  another had what may be as mentioned a stuck needle ( I did clean all the Carb Slides)... Will try the cleaner flush with a small a mount of air pressure starting with about 5 psi ...Thanks guys

• Like 2