IGNORED

Stator frustration

I am replacing the stator on my 2008 RSV. There is a clamp (or a binding or some damned thing) that holds the stator wires and a bunch of other wires to the driveshaft housing. It's in a spot I can barely see. Is there some trick to opening this clamp? It feels like its a solid piece of whatever. Before I disassemble the entire back half of my motorcycle, is there an easy solution? Any help would be appreciated. 

20220317_125351[1].jpg

20220317_125255[1].jpg

I believe that I think I might maybe have an explanation for you. At least I think I do. There are a number of different that wires are held in place by this sort of holder. If you take your peter-pointer finger and bring it together to the tip of your thumb you'll form an oblong circle/hole. That is kind of what that holder looks like. When first done at the factory the tips are very close together and can be thought to be one piece, but they  are made to be pried apart so that the wires can be removed and then re-inserted later.

• Thanks 1

So, what you are saying is that if I can get my flat blade screwdriver in there somehow, I should be able to pry it open? I have been hesitant to do that from concern that I will tear up the other cable sets but, if that's how it works I will give it a go. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Barnacle442 said:

So, what you are saying is that if I can get my flat blade screwdriver in there somehow, I should be able to pry it open? I have been hesitant to do that from concern that I will tear up the other cable sets but, if that's how it works I will give it a go. Thanks!

Yep. I was trying to find a picture for you, but didn't come up with one. It won't take a whole lot of effort to open it up.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you to everybody that replied to this. It was indeed the massive amount of crud caked in there that had me stymied. Once I understood it the clamp came right open and I did not need to remove all the stuff I removed to get at it. Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1