IGNORED

Tapping into CLASS for tire inflation.

Anybody try this?  Bike has been sitting for about two weeks on the center stand.  Did some work on the kickstand today and when I dropped it off the center the rear tire has about 50% by sight.  Anyway was just thinking it would be nice to have onboard air.

I having been toying with this idea myself for some years but never got around to it. I think it could work as these little guys seem to be quite robust in comparison to some tire inflatters I have seen over the years, many which are quite small such as the one put out by slime. . Given that they are small and would have to run for a fairly long time to inflate a tire, over-heating  could be a very strong possibility, though the head seems to have decent fins to control head temperature. I would  experiment with a good spare compressor before risking one on the bike. If you did do this you would have to wire in a by pass for both electrics and air line. This could be easily accomplished using a switch. a relay with 5 terminals 87 being normally open and 87a being normally closed plus a 12 volt controlled 3 way air solenoid. You can get these at most truck shops since they are used to control lift axles etc.

If you did move forward here is how I would go about it. Wire connections would be

+12 volts to switch, from switch to pin 86 and solenoid +12v , Cut compressor +12v wire, compressor to terminal 30. other cut end to terminal 87a, +12v supply to 87, 85 and solenoid neg to ground.

Remove compressor air line at compressor and connect to port marked NO (normally open) run line form compressor to port marked supply or in. Run line for inflating tires to port marked NC (normally closed)

NOTE sometimes the ports may be marked SUP, DEL and EXH instead of NO, NC and IN but the valves still work the same you just have to work out which is related to which.

image.jpeg.329b3f30010f7b9e89a75fa8934e50f2.jpeg12 Volt DC SPDT 40 Amp Relay SPDT40P | DC Relays Contactors & Solenoids |  Relays Contactors & Solenoids | Electrical | www.surpluscenter.com12V 25A 1 Way (ON/OFF) Toggle Switch | 12 Volt Planet

@saddlebum that seems wayyyy overkill for what my simple brain had in mind.  Without looking it up I think the CLASS hits low 70’s psi on the rear.  My thought is put in a diverter valve with a hose to go to the tire valves and use manual mode on the CLASS to dial in pressure.  I expect it to be off some but the computer is getting positive feedback just as it would from the suspension.  
I don’t imagine using this feature for filling a flat per say but for daily top offs.

2 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@saddlebum that seems wayyyy overkill for what my simple brain had in mind.  Without looking it up I think the CLASS hits low 70’s psi on the rear.  My thought is put in a diverter valve with a hose to go to the tire valves and use manual mode on the CLASS to dial in pressure.  I expect it to be off some but the computer is getting positive feedback just as it would from the suspension.  
I don’t imagine using this feature for filling a flat per say but for daily top offs.

Or you could try that :confused24: I just thought the class system would cut out before that. Seeing as how my pressure gauge displays in kg/cm² which show me 1 to 6 instead of 14 to 85 like it would in PSI, it never dawned on me how high the class system would actually allow the pump to go before it cut it off. Never realized when my display showed a 6 that I actually had 85 PSI in my air bag. Man I sure would not want that to suddenly blow under my tush :yikes:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1