Have a 86 venture Royale. Installed a new clutch and pressure spring. I bleed the clutch from the reservoir down to the bleeder. The problem I'm still having is the clutch slip's under a load. Especially in the higher gears like third fourth and 5th. Any idea why it's still slipping.? It shifts good. But when you start to release the clutch handle about 1/4 inch the clutch is already engaging and the bikes moving. Help.

My guess, bleed it more.  I have had great success with tie off clutch handle to bars, let sit overnight, air rises. Release and do not touch. There will be a banjo connection by reservoir. Loosen, and squeeze handle one time in the morning, there might be that last bit or air right there. Tighten banjo bolt prior to releasing handle, as you would bleeding anything, not suck air back in.  You can bleed it there a couple times depending on the air you hear or feel. Good luck.

If there is air in the system then you are more likely to find that it won't disengage rather than engage fully. My thought would be that you may have missed something on the install. Did you use the half plate or go with the whole plate in the back of the pack. Did you soak all the plates in oil before install?

Which brand did you put in?

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

If there is air in the system then you are more likely to find that it won't disengage rather than engage fully. My thought would be that you may have missed something on the install. Did you use the half plate or go with the whole plate in the back of the pack. Did you soak all the plates in oil before install?

Which brand did you put in

I bought Barnett replacement clutch. I did soak the plates. And I used the small plate in the back of the clutch. I'm going to try and bleed it some more up where the banjo connect is.

Almost every gear it want to slip if u put a load on the clutch.

The only time the clutch plates are loose enough to stop things down line is when you pull on the lever, push the fluid down to the slave cylinder which in turn pushes the rod to deactivate the clutch spring. So no fluid, and no can deactivate the spring and clutch stays in play. That's the simple theory.

Now release the handle and everything returns to home position. There could be air build up in the system and as you ride the air can heat up and so cause the clutch spring to be somewhat deactivated and so cause slippage. So it is important to totally have the system bled, but if you feel that the clutch slips right off the get go, then I would look elsewhere. It could be a tightening of the spring would help, but if it's tight then more torque won't do anything other than some breakage. On the other hand if it wasn't tight enough to start with it might have loosen, so for the time it takes it might not hurt to take a peek.

If you are going in there, maybe just for giggles take the plates out and install a full plate at the bottom and forget the ciri-spring. Some guys say they have better luck that way.

Another thing that might be possible is that the slave cylinder doesn't return all the way. You can check that as well if and when you take the cover off again, but you'll have to look in the manual for the specs.

@Breeze444

My thoughts are

(A) If you bought the Barnett clutch did it come with a half clutch or did you reinstall the old half clutch with the new barnett clutch? Normally when you install a barnett clutch it does not come with a half clutch and you DO NOT reinstall the old 1/2 clutch and its related pieces. You DISCARD the 1/2 clutch its two space rings and the fine wire that help hold the three pieces in place.

(B) if for some reason you were required to re- install the 1/2 clutch and its hardware you but something in the wrong, with regards to the half disc and its related pieces to where they are not allowing  some of the friction discs to make full contact with the steel plates.

BTW, I have had issues with my clutch in that it slowly looses fluid and gains air (one day I will get into it but for now I just keep topping and bleeding. Kind of one way of keeping the fluid fresh. LOL ) however never has this caused a slipping clutch but the reverse even had to ride and shift with no clutch function a couple times. (one day I will run out of excuses and fix it proper)

Edited by saddlebum

I installed the new Barnett clutch.  Took a test ride and the new clutch was  slipping. went and bled the line, the master cylinder, and the slave. took it for another test ride, and the clutch was still slipping. Went back and pulled off the CRANKCASE COVER to the clutch and pulled the steel clutch plates out and all of them showed signs of getting Hot and they all turned blue. ( See above picture ). Even the friction plates show signs of getting really Hot. this new clutch is pretty much burned up. Any idea of what is causing the clutch to slip and why this new clutch kit got burned up.?   I soaked the new clutch before install. I replaced the Spring.,Cushion, the plate seat, the set ring, and Plate, Clutch 1. I also installed a new 1/2 plate. I set the spring Cushion, plate seat, and  clutch plate 1 along with a new set rind behind the set ring. I even went and bought a new Primary Driven Gear Comp and a new Spring Clutch.  and it still slips. the only thing I have not replaced  is the slave cylinder, ( Push Lever Comp ). What else could be causing the slipping.? HELP.

Edited by Breeze444
Add a part I installed

Something is preventing the clutch from fully seating. Could be the spring not seated properly? or the torque on the spring? or maybe the slave not returning all the way,,?? or maybe there is one plate short in the pack, although I kind of doubt that.

• Do you still have the old clutch pack? If so stack the two stacks side by side and make sure the overall height is the same rather than counting the number of discs.
  • Did your kit come with an extra disck to replace the partial disc? and if so did you discard the wire keeper or did you reinstall it? The keeper the two spacer discs and the half disc should be discarded provided the kit came with an extra disc to replace it. The part I cannot remmeber is whether the barnett pack came with an extra disc to replace it or whether I had to buy an additional friction disc. to replace the partial disc its washers and wire retainer.
  • Check to make sure your hydraulic system is full releasing pressure on the slave cylinder. Also make sure there is a little free play in the lever when full released. If it is set too tight it may not be fully releasing the clutch
  • There is a shoulder/ ridge on the pressure plate make sure it is properly seated in the basket when you tighten the retaining bolts and tighten them in a staggered pattern.