IGNORED

Kickstand (relocated thread)

It would appear to me that the hole that the bolt is going thru is oblong now. I would take off the kickstand and give it a good exam and see what isnt right with the assemble and then that will let you know how to go about fixing it properly.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the wear is in the frame eye.

OPTION 1; It there is plenty of meat drill out both frame bracket and kick stand to accept a larger diameter bolt.

OPTION 2; As long as there is enough meat and only the frame bracket is worn, slowly  drill it out until you end up with a round hole or close to round hole and  fit the hole with a steel bushing that has an inner hole same as bolt size. Try to get a snug fit but a sliding fit as long as there is no play is fine. Coat both hole and outside of bushing with Loctite's green sleeve and bearing set. Wait a few minutes, wipe away any excess and reassemble. BTW green Loctite will fill a void up to 0.020" securely.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

So nothing oblong, the bolt shank, frame hole and kickstsnd hole all measured 11.7mm as best I could measure given the poor access.  The fork in the kickstand was spread, looked more like the outside fork was bent.  Pressed it back together so it fits tight now.  Now I’m debating should I heat and dunk it or just see what happens.

13 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

So nothing oblong, the bolt shank, frame hole and kickstsnd hole all measured 11.7mm as best I could measure given the poor access.  The fork in the kickstand was spread, looked more like the outside fork was bent.  Pressed it back together so it fits tight now.  Now I’m debating should I heat and dunk it or just see what happens.

Just see what happens. If you heat and dunk it you could make the metal too brittle if its high in carbon such as cast steel, if you dunk it too soon and too soft if you let it cool naturally. It all depends on the steel. If you where to heat it (and this is just an educated guess ) I would be inclined to let it cool naturally about 50% than dunk it in water or oil.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Just see what happens. If you heat and dunk it you could make the metal too brittle if its high in carbon such as cast steel, if you dunk it too soon and too soft if you let it cool naturally. It all depends on the steel. If you where to heat it (and this is just an educated guess ) I would be inclined to let it cool naturally about 50% than dunk it in water or oil.

That’s what my gut told me,  put it back together and all seems well.  Not knowing the composition of the metal and not caring enough to research it.  Time will tell. It does seem to be sitting more upright now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody tell me the proper length of a Gen 1 kickstand?  Once I put the weight of the bike on mine the fork piece spread out again and the bike I think maybe leans more than before.  Parts fiche says item 62 here 

https://www.youngpowersports.com/OEMpartfinder#/Yamaha/XVZ13DT_-_1987/STAND_FOOTREST/7f27add3-8aa1-4fc3-ac41-cc44b1eded4d/3f60114d-dd76-4bc4-9567-2a6be95682ae/y

google search on the pn comes up with similar items like this 

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1WS-27311-00-00?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MKyhOvL9gIVCx-tBh3upAJMEAQYASABEgKeGPD_BwE

which shows 31.5 cm

mine measures 10.5” or 26.5cm so if it is indeed too short the lean makes sense.

I do not know the measurements, but even the smallest slop in the fork piece will cause a large change. The frame piece could have a slight bend in it as well, maybe someone sat on bike over the years with kickstand down.  As long as everything seems solid, bolt is secure, personally I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You could also insert a washer or two on the correct side of fork and probably gain some height.

Pasta Burner,

Here is the thread that I posted in about repairing the side stand back in 2018.

Hopefully the links for the parts are still valid.

Let me know if they don't work and I can dig a bit to find the list of parts I used.

Mine has been perfect since I did the repair.

Regards,

Argo

Edited by Argo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

I do not know the measurements, but even the smallest slop in the fork piece will cause a large change. The frame piece could have a slight bend in it as well, maybe someone sat on bike over the years with kickstand down.  As long as everything seems solid, bolt is secure, personally I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You could also insert a washer or two on the correct side of fork and probably gain some height.

I’m gonna start with the shims as you mention and see what it does.  When I say it leans a lot I mean a lot.  I’ll take a pic when I get home.

• Like 1

I was coming home from Kansas and when I stopped for gas and deployed the kick stand it went sliding across the parking lot!  The hinge bolt had sheared off. My local Ace Hardware is the go-to for nuts and bolts. I found a good replacement bolt that I could double-nut, I added a shim to stop the slop and it has been working great. BTW: I use the kick stand briefly when getting off this 800lb beast, then I put it on the center stand. 

1 hour ago, GaryZ said:

I was coming home from Kansas and when I stopped for gas and deployed the kick stand it went sliding across the parking lot!  The hinge bolt had sheared off. My local Ace Hardware is the go-to for nuts and bolts. I found a good replacement bolt that I could double-nut, I added a shim to stop the slop and it has been working great. BTW: I use the kick stand briefly when getting off this 800lb beast, then I put it on the center stand. 

Eeek that must have been quite a surprise!  Thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

17 degrees does sound like a lot, I'd shim it probably. Can you put on center stand to analyze better? 

For sure it goes up on the center.  I’ve got the kickstand removed now, I tried last night to get a washer in there but it was too thick.  Bought some shims and will see how it works out then plan my next attack.

what a difference a little experience makes, the first year I had the bike I couldn’t get it on the center to save my life,  a board under the tire helped sometimes. And I was terrified of dropping it to the right side.  Now I can pop it up in flip flops without even thinking about it.

Edited by Pasta Burner

19 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

For sure it goes up on the center.  I’ve got the kickstand removed now, I tried last night to get a washer in there but it was too thick.  Bought some shims and will see how it works out then plan my next attack.

what a difference a little experience makes, the first year I had the bike I couldn’t get it on the center to save my life,  a board under the tire helped sometimes. And I was terrified of dropping it to the right side.  Now I can pop it up in flip flops without even thinking about it.

Know what your saying, it's all in the foot work.