IGNORED

Lost Key FOB

Good afternoon and thanks for the add. I purchased my 2018 Venture about 6 months ago and had no clue there was a key code card that I needed if I lost my fob. About a month ago, I came home from a ride and I can’t find the fob anywhere in the house or garage.  I have searched the entire house, gear, clothes, cars, etc, and no luck. Is there any way of getting the key code from the Vin number? Any recommendations on how to get a new fob without having to replace the ECU and other components? I am sure someone has experienced the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe welcome to Venture Riders, I have no clue on the replacement fob, but something that happened to me once when I missed placed mine. I searched everywhere for it then I tried to crank the bike and when it did crank I knew the fob was close by, it had fallen down to the bottom of the tour pack. 

Good morning Woody. Thanks for the response. So I talked to the dealership yesterday and they contacted Yamaha to figure it out. Long story short, the cheapest option to get a new fob and be rideable is $2k, but all new locks, keys, and 2 new fobs is $3.4k. My left bag has been locked since that ride, and starting to think it might be locked in there. Everything else is unlocked, and that left side has caused me problems before. I researched on here and found that it’s a common problem. I pushed and tapped on the lock and something fell off inside, so that’s not a good sign. Ordered a borescope last night to look inside the bag, so I’ll keep searching. I told my wife I will roll the bike through the house before I pay that much as a last ditch effort. Hoping we have good news in the next couple of days. 

Do you still have a key FOB or was that the only one you had. Often times with most vehicles, as long as you still have one Key fob you can get additional key fobs programmed at a somewhat reasonable cost (NOTE; I use the word somewhat loosely and I am speaking in general terms here). If not than you most likely have to follow the path of least resistance (that's the one your money follows to exit your wallet.:mo money:).

That number may be for the cut of the key which is most common but may not be of any use to program a new FOB. FOBS are usually cloned from an existing one. That's why it is always good to keep a spare FOB or acquire a second one just in case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Do you still have a key FOB or was that the only one you had. Often times with most vehicles, as long as you still have one Key fob you can get additional key fobs programmed at a somewhat reasonable cost (NOTE; I use the word somewhat loosely and I am speaking in general terms here). If not than you most likely have to follow the path of least resistance (that's the one your money follows to exit your wallet.:mo money:).

Unfortunately, that was the sole key. I just wish they would have told me when I bought it that there was a key code I needed to keep close hold of so I could get more keys cut later on.  Losing the fob sucks, but not having the key code is the money pit. 

11 hours ago, WIZ said:

The number on the original fob has to be entered in the bike with the bike in emergency start mode to program the new fob.

If that is the case than I would think it would be in the build record and the should be able to look it up. JMHO

• Confused 1

Well, the insurance claim is a bust. I have reached out to Yamaha and they keep no records. Seriously ridiculous to have nothing because it’s a security issue. You would think it would be as simple as looking up a vin, but they don’t want to have that info get out to the wrong people. 

• Sad 1

On 3/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, Joe Murphy said:

Well, the insurance claim is a bust. I have reached out to Yamaha and they keep no records. Seriously ridiculous to have nothing because it’s a security issue. You would think it would be as simple as looking up a vin, but they don’t want to have that info get out to the wrong people. 

Sounds like an excuse to me. More profitable to sell a complete lock and ignition system than to be accommodating..... but who am I to say :confused24:

• Like 1