IGNORED

Lower Fairing Screw

Miamick

I’m sure somebody’s got a handle on this; removed my lower fairings to change air filter. And of course as I was attaching the inside hex screw on the right fairingI dropped it and it disappeared to who knows where. Hands and knees all over the garage and it’s gone. What’s the size and any idea where I can find a replacement? TIA

No idea specifically about your bike but my guess is it’s an M5ish fine pitch.  If you have another one from somewhere else on the fairings pull it, make sure it fits the missing location and match it up at pretty much any hardware store.  I find Ace or True value or a Mom and Pop usually have better stock than a big box for what you need.  Of course your local Yamaha Stealer will have it too for 10x the cost.

Dont mean to sound know-it-all, but i changed the oil and filter on mine recently and could not remove the lower fairings so just went ahead and left them there.  The only issue is slightly restricted space to remove the filter.  Might make it easier next time. 

16 hours ago, Miamick said:

Hell don’t feel bad I didn’t even mention my RSV model and year to get an answer! FWIW mine is a 2006 Midnight and I’ll just take the other sides bolt out and match it up at HD. After I return from Daytona however😎

LOL, we see it all the time.  If you click on your name, account settings, signature, and put that info there, it will never be necessary again 👍

The air filter can be changed without removing the lowers.  The upper bolt on the air box is a bit challenging, but a flex joint / u-joint / whatever you want to call it on a 1/4 in drive allows access to that bolt without removing the lower. 

Don't forget to put a light smear of grease around the intake pipe before sliding the air box back into place.  The clamp doesn't always seal the rubber pipe completely and a remarkable amount of dust can collect in the air pipe.

Just sayin'. 😏