IGNORED

Battery Voltage was Low - No Ride

N3FOL

Today was a very beautiful day in terms of temperature.  I think we came close to 70° this afternoon.  I was able to warm up my '07 and it cranked right up after sitting for a number of weeks due to bad weather, etc.  So this afternoon, I wanted to give the SVTC and spin and it didn't want to crank.  Not sure initially what was going on until the onboard voltage meter indicated 11.9 volts.  My easy fix for now is to plug it in on my Battery Tender and see if it cranks back up tomorrow.  

After today, winter temperature is on our way and freezing rain/sleet is forecasted for Friday morning.  A little disappointed not being able to ride, but I must be patient.  :icon_lurker:

• Sad 1

I have been using a 1157 tail light bulb in series with my regular battery charger on a  2 amp setting on my charger ..( solder wire to the bulb terminal ) Use the positive clamp from my charger to the main terminal of the bulb and the case/ground of the bulb to the positive terminal of the battery and the ground clamp of the charger to ground terminal of the battery ...When the battery is low on power/charge the bulb goes on bright and when the battery reaches full charge the bulb goes dim or out ...The 1157 bulb acts like a regulator with maximum of a 2 amps ,  I have bought several of the battery tenders and I have have had no luck with them ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was so busy over the last 2 weeks and the weather was not conducive for riding, so I really did not really take a closer look at my battery situation.  I'll try to jump the bike tomorrow and if it starts, I will be so relieved that it is not my starter.  If it is truly my battery, that is an easy fix.  FWIW, we had about 4 inches of snow last night and hopefully that would be it for the winter season.  Spring is just a few more days away.  

On 3/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, N3FOL said:

I was so busy over the last 2 weeks and the weather was not conducive for riding, so I really did not really take a closer look at my battery situation.  I'll try to jump the bike tomorrow and if it starts, I will be so relieved that it is not my starter.  If it is truly my battery, that is an easy fix.  FWIW, we had about 4 inches of snow last night and hopefully that would be it for the winter season.  Spring is just a few more days away.  

If it is your starter just start carrying a ball peen hammer ;) did that for many years with my 95 Wrangler.

About 3 years ago before covid hit , I would cross the USA/CANADA border and pickup my parcel at a shipping depot just about 10 minutes from the border .As I arrived back at the Canadian border crossing the customs officer came out to my car and asked what i had picked up and the dollar value ..He then noticed that the parts I had picked up for a motorcycle and him being rider himself said that just at the far side of the building there was a couple on bike that would not run after he shut it down ....He said that he would go give him a hand but he could not while he was on duty , he suggested I should take a look ..So I did the bike was only 4 years old and looked great..He already tried a bunch of things and still it would not start including a a battery boast . After some checking I decided to peel back the battery wire on the positive terminal and there was about 2 inches of green corrosion on the positive terminal ..I applied the boaster cable to the peeled back wire before the corrosion and the the bike started and ran ...I followed him for about a half hour , we stopped and talked a bit and then he headed home  ...He had just bought the bike the week before from a dealer ... He ordered a complete wiring harness because there many other connection problems