IGNORED

Clutch Fluid Evaporated?

Hello Everyone.

Several months ago i noticed my clutch lever had no feel, just pulled easily back to the bars with no effort.  Checked and saw no fluid.  I bled the system with fresh fluid and thought, cool, job done.  Rode for several thousand kms without problems.

Yolanda (89), has been in hibernation since November and today I noticed the same problem as before, no fluid and no feel in lever.  Re-bled brakes. Now all good again.

Where did my fluid go? And what caused it disappear?

Paul

More than likely it is leaking out of the clutch slave.  Do you happen to notice a small  decent size puddle of brake / clutch fluid under your bike?  Very common problem.  Some rebuild them, I just replaced mine when it went bad. 

Edited by SpencerPJ

• 3 weeks later...

It's an easy repair. You will need the gasket for the drive gear. Get a replacement (used)  slave or buy the repair kit. While you are in there, take off the gear selector switch, clean the contacts and put back together. 

Search this forum. I shot some pics of the area while looking for a leak.

Edited by videoarizona
Add

15 hours ago, videoarizona said:

It's an easy repair. You will need the gasket for the drive gear. Get a replacement (used)  slave or buy the repair kit. While you are in there, take off the gear selector switch, clean the contacts and put back together. 

Search this forum. I shot some pics of the area while looking for a leak.

I would be more inclined to replace with a new unit since I have seen even rebuilt ones fail shortly after. For some reason compared to calipers the clutch slave seems to be a little more sensitive to surface imperfections and thought it is not difficult it is a bit of a PITA. and if your like me I prefer to do it only once. BTW you can remove the slave without removing the gear cover but how easily it goes back into place depends on which side of your mouth you hold your tongue.

• Haha 1

What a nice way to devour a Sunday morning. After several weeks of umm-ing and ah-ing I decided to get some professional help.  Not needed!!

I stripped,  cleaned and repaired the slave cylinder (helpfully known as the clutch activator in the service manual and parts list)!. 

Just need a new gasket for the cover and its done.  Followed these instructions:

https://venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=51&highlight=clutch

and Robert is your mother's brother. 

• Like 2

Great.  If you have troubles bleeding the air, I found tying the clutch lever back to the bar with a rope, allowed the air in the system to naturally rise to the top. Let it sit overnight tied off, and the next day it will be like magic. 

Good luck. Paul