IGNORED

West coast Venture riders?

circa1968

I just peaked at the community map, so I know you're all out there.

I'm suffering from rally-envy...seems our eastern most contemporaries are having all the fun, comradery and making lasting friendships & memories.  Let's celebrate the end (hopefully) of all this covid madness with a rally of our own!

If you are in the western part and interested in a rally to meet other venture riders (non-venturers welcome too!), please respond with location, how far/long you'd be willing to travel time frames that work and if willing to help plan/organize.  Also, if you have any locations in mind, even better.

I'm in San Jose, CA and willing to go ~7-800 miles (two days of travel).  Late spring through the fall works for me.

Thanks!

• Like 3

On 2/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, kevin-vic-b.c. said:

Canadian west coast..... we have had what has been called Venture West in past.  A couple times up here and one in Washington and one in Oregon that I have attended.  Southern California is a bit fsr for me unfortunately.

Oregon is doable for me.  I'm in Northern California (SF Bay Area). 

Venture West 2022!  Anyone?

• Like 2

I’ve never been to a rally, my riding has mainly consisted of day adventures with friends and some relatively local weekend trips.  I’m in Salt Lake so Oregon isn’t too far and I’ve never been there.  I’m interested in this possibility but a few questions.  What does a rally consist of?  How long does it last?  Is this camping or a hotel?  Typically solo or with the wifey?  I’m pretty flexible as far as timing goes, no restrictions on when or how long I take time off work, bonus if I have cell service I can keep up with the office now and then if need be.

13 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

I’ve never been to a rally, my riding has mainly consisted of day adventures with friends and some relatively local weekend trips.  I’m in Salt Lake so Oregon isn’t too far and I’ve never been there.  I’m interested in this possibility but a few questions.  What does a rally consist of?  How long does it last?  Is this camping or a hotel?  Typically solo or with the wifey?  I’m pretty flexible as far as timing goes, no restrictions on when or how long I take time off work, bonus if I have cell service I can keep up with the office now and then if need be.

My experience?: It's good for a couple or three days, some may have organized events or places to go to, others not so much, with VR it usually is not an expected thing to join in whatever may be planned, but it's enjoyable to participate. Mostly things are quite safe, except when Canucks show up, then the table is open.😁. In Oregon you should be fairly safe though.

It's a great time to get to know other folks that you only have typing experience with, although there may even be some surprises. Nice thing is, there is always somebody else to talk to when the subject turns to matters of unexpected interest. Sometimes a communal meal is organized, sometimes not. These meals are also a good time and helps you to learn more about others, especially when they buy you too much beer.

You can come and go as you please, come as late as you want or leave before you get there. Sometimes there are spontaneous rides or just a ride to get ice-cream. Occasionally there might be a mechanic available and if not there is at least one or two who think that #3 is good choice for messing things up.

If it is anywhere near me,,,,,, I'm going.!! VR meets are GREAT!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a pretty responsible and chill group.  I get nervous on group rides when I don’t know who I’m riding with, I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the strongest rider especially on the VR but I’m getting there.  Hoping to get out this weekend actually.  I’m a proponent of the motto ride your ride nobody else’s.  I had a semi bad experience over the summer with a group ride that some acquaintances let their drunken selves take over getting upset because some of us decided to not speed down unknown roads across double yellow, thus breaking the group up.  Additionally I don’t drink and ride, I may have a beer or two at lunch especially if also sightseeing and taking my time but these particular people had a goal of going from bar to bar to bar.

@Marcarl you say free to come and go but where are you coming and going to?

3 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I think this is a pretty responsible and chill group.  I get nervous on group rides when I don’t know who I’m riding with, I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the strongest rider especially on the VR but I’m getting there.  Hoping to get out this weekend actually.  I’m a proponent of the motto ride your ride nobody else’s.  I had a semi bad experience over the summer with a group ride that some acquaintances let their drunken selves take over getting upset because some of us decided to not speed down unknown roads across double yellow, thus breaking the group up.  Additionally I don’t drink and ride, I may have a beer or two at lunch especially if also sightseeing and taking my time but these particular people had a goal of going from bar to bar to bar.

@Marcarl you say free to come and go but where are you coming and going to?

We have different riders for sure, but I have never seen anybody get upset over somebody leaving the group to ride their own ride.

I come from away and going to where it's at.

I agree with @Marcarl about doing other ridding from group. Have gone on several single rides when at different rallies as it can have different environment such as hills and mountain scenery . Around my area in Ontario Canada it is quite flat with nearest bendy roads at least 30klms away . New York rally was always a treat because of the overabundance of driving thru the many lower mountain roads and really having a great experience. Like hear it is 2klm strait to Walmart and there it was 40klm thru twists and hills and great scenery to shop! Also the great rides to different historic towns and waterfalls etc. There are different stores also to be toured that are not available here .So sometimes it is very educational to take off (always tell people of group what and roughly where and what you are doing) and explore other roads and sites along the way back from planned activities such as breakfast - dinner or supper rides. When in Illinois rally I got to go to Harbor Freight for a few items,(always have to plan light as not much room to pack sometimes) Have some room as I tow a Time Out tent camper. Only bad thing about traveling to the southern(U.S.) rallies is the difference in monetary exchange difference!! Sometime I got to go on different rides with people I met at these get together s as they new some attractions that they have found over the years  and think I might enjoy the ride and then the sites we get to. The beers are always partaken of after we are done for the day(maybe one at supper but never any after) Looking forward to the time we can travel again so I can meet up with past acquaintances I have met over the past few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, Pasta Burner said:

Me neither!  My thoughts would be to meet/stay at one location (or all nearby in the same town).  My idea of camping is a 3*, or less, hotel... But to each his own.   My vision of the rally would be a long weekend;  day 1: Meet & greet at the end of our ride in at a set location from afternoon into evening, put real names and faces to our stage names, ogle over each other's bikes, etc.  Day 2: Group ride to a couple of locations to take in some local scenery, then find a local park to have a group BBQ/picnic (or restaurant)  & enjoy some refreshments.   Day 3 and/or beyond is whatever each of us decides to do, individually or in groups.

And a thought that just popped into my head....If we have a sizable group, let's do some kinda raffle, pass the hat or something, and find a charitable group in the town we descend upon to leave some goodwill behind.

As far as drinking AND riding goes.  If that's your thing, please go do that somewhere else.  To each his own, but I personally do not wish to ride with anyone who is not 100% sober.  There are enough variables to contend with already.

So, we are up to a count of 3!  Any others?  Non Venture riders welcome too!

• Like 2

@circa1968 I completely understand…I’m an Eagle Scout and have done a lot of camping in my life…I’ve since took on my dads way of life, his idea of roughing it is a hotel with only two swimming pools.  All throughout my scouting career my dad was there driving kids in the Suburban or hauling gear in one of his many trucks, but come bedtime he was at the nearest hotel.  
Back on topic though being in SCL the entire coast is within reach.  My experience of Cali is San Jose to Sunnyvale which was good food but bad traffic. And Vandenberg AFB which is incredibly beautiful. 
the furthest west I’ve driven is Elko NV.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a few years since I posted. I would be interested in attending a west coast rally. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the Dalles OR and was surprised when so many came to the one I hosted up here by Mt. Shasta. I'd offer to host another in this area, however we now have a "new" season its called "smoke"; it can start at any given month and is nasty to ride in. It is often next to impossible to ride out of when the west coast appears to be going up in flames! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, Luvdaleather said:

Its been a few years since I posted. I would be interested in attending a west coast rally. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the Dalles OR and was surprised when so many came to the one I hosted up here by Mt. Shasta. I'd offer to host another in this area, however we now have a "new" season its called "smoke"; it can start at any given month and is nasty to ride in. It is often next to impossible to ride out of when the west coast appears to be going up in flames! 

I love riding up in that area!  Haven't been up there in years.  But yeah, the fires/smoke and the tragedies that come with them.  Maybe will be better this year, let's keep our fingers crossed.  I think we're up to 4 of us westerners now!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, Luvdaleather said:

Nancy I will never forget our evening Pie Run..... it was fantastic.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this thread but wanted to endorse a West Coast gathering. I live in Salem, Oregon and have attended the past 2 west coast gatherings...Riding the Kootenays and Yreka. Definitely would attend an event in Late June, July, or August. Would also work with someone to organize something, if need be.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 7:03 AM, pope3567 said:

Late to this thread but wanted to endorse a West Coast gathering. I live in Salem, Oregon and have attended the past 2 west coast gatherings...Riding the Kootenays and Yreka. Definitely would attend an event in Late June, July, or August. Would also work with someone to organize something, if need be.

Thanks Ron!  I've been traveling, visiting family, son in college, etc over the last month or so and just getting caught up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a few things brewing over the summer, so waiting to see how the summer schedule shakes out.  In any case, how does late Sept/early October work for everyone interested?  Would give us more runway for planning.  Somewhere in the Lake Shasta, CA area (very northern CA)?  Mount Lassen, Burney Falls and a few other great day rides can be done from that area.

• Like 1