IGNORED

New here and considering a Star Venture

Hi, all, Been thinking for quite a while on what my next bike will be.  Currently ride a 1993 GoldWing and while she has given me faithful service, I am thinking of something more modern.  I was originally considering a Victory Cross Country Tour till Polaris killed them.  I hate the way Honda built the 2018 and up "Wing"  (really an ST1800) so it would be latest a 2017 Wing.  When Yamaha came out with the new Star Venture, I immediately loved the look.  It has everything I need, and more besides.  The two things I like the best are the aggressive look of the front and the large bags that put Honda to shame.  I use my bike for everything I can, and storage is key.  

18 hours ago, DarthJ said:

Hi, all, Been thinking for quite a while on what my next bike will be.  Currently ride a 1993 GoldWing and while she has given me faithful service, I am thinking of something more modern.  I was originally considering a Victory Cross Country Tour till Polaris killed them.  I hate the way Honda built the 2018 and up "Wing"  (really an ST1800) so it would be latest a 2017 Wing.  When Yamaha came out with the new Star Venture, I immediately loved the look.  It has everything I need, and more besides.  The two things I like the best are the aggressive look of the front and the large bags that put Honda to shame.  I use my bike for everything I can, and storage is key.  

I bought mine in April of 2019 and love it. They're great bikes.  They have had their own round of issues. Some people have had heat problems others have had starters and break switches. These seem to be fairly uncommon and I can say I have had none of these. The Navi system is a little off in that it won't accept straight up GPX files for maps and routes but We've found what seems to work well. 

Thanks, I've heard of the heat issues, and I'm not too worried about minor issues that are rare.  Now if bikes were basically eating brake switches, lol.  I don't use in built Navi all the time, I usually use Waze. Now on a long trip, I'll sometimes have the GOS up on my car just to let me know the next exit/if a rest area is coming up.   But the big screen is a nice thing to have.  I love the look of them and they are a big hit with my gf too though she's a bagger girl.  

20 hours ago, DarthJ said:

Thanks, I've heard of the heat issues, and I'm not too worried about minor issues that are rare.  Now if bikes were basically eating brake switches, lol.  I don't use in built Navi all the time, I usually use Waze. Now on a long trip, I'll sometimes have the GOS up on my car just to let me know the next exit/if a rest area is coming up.   But the big screen is a nice thing to have.  I love the look of them and they are a big hit with my gf too though she's a bagger girl.  

There is a recall on the brake switches.  I never had a problem with mine but I took it in for the recall.  I think that's the only recall on the bike too.  That's awesome for a 3 - 4 year old bike. Remember this model line was revamped in 2018.  Most of us agree and wish they would have went with the V-Max 4 cyl but this thing gets and goes.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:45 AM, DarthJ said:

True maybe revamping the existing motor would have worked but with the styling, the V-twin looks good.  I'd be getting used, pretty easy to check if the recall was done.  

@DarthJ I was the first in the Southeast to get mine on the Priority delivery program. I’ll be up front with the issues I’ve had.

In the first 3k miles I had a “paint bubble” issue on the tank, they replaced it.  At 7800 miles I had a cam lifter failure, they fixed it.  At 23k miles I had the left rear speaker fail, they replaced it.  I had software issues with NAV locking up or going blank, they wiped the software and re-loaded it… no problem since.  At 35k miles I had cracks in both saddlebag lids radiating out from the hinge. They replaced both complete saddlebags.  At 48k miles I had a final drive gear issue, Yamaha replaced my complete engine! Even though my brake switch has not failed, the dealership gave me the replacement to install myself if it ever needs it.

I have 63k miles on it now and despite the issues (not uncommon in a new model) Yamaha has been faithful to address each one. That being said I absolutely LOVE this bike! It is the best touring model I’ve owned and would make the purchase again if I had to.

Edited by ChiefGunner
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

@DarthJ I was the first in the Southeast to get mine on the Priority delivery program. I’ll be up front with the issues I’ve had.

Tony ....sounds like you've had several issues but one has to know that yours was one of the first year of the model.  2018 was when they first started making this generation and there were growing pains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XV1100SE said:

Tony ....sounds like you've had several issues but one has to know that yours was one of the first year of the model.  2018 was when they first started making this generation and there were growing pains.

You’re right Don. I picked mine up Dec 29 of 2017. Was supposed to get it in August but production issues delayed that. I won’t complain though. Yamaha gave me a $1,000 spending spree for my wait. I used that to buy both headsets, the taller wider backrest and the bike cover.

I definitely have the Venture on my shortlist, realistically my choices are one of these or a 2017 Wing at the latest.  Leaning heavily towards a Venture as it has much more to offer, very generous storage being one of the main reasons.  My gf and I plan to start riding together for trips, but she leans towards smaller baggers, so I'm basically carrying the lion's share of our gear.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, DarthJ said:

I definitely have the Venture on my shortlist, realistically my choices are one of these or a 2017 Wing at the latest.  Leaning heavily towards a Venture as it has much more to offer, very generous storage being one of the main reasons.  My gf and I plan to start riding together for trips, but she leans towards smaller baggers, so I'm basically carrying the lion's share of our gear.

I can carry pretty much everything including the kitchen sink! 🤣

087842D7-51B0-4E86-BE02-918044C25A38.jpeg

• Like 2

It's going to be a while, as I'm looking for more steady work.  I'm keeping my eye on prices of course.  My area is not great to find them, but I can always do a fly and ride from my gf's area.  I'd ask her to look it over and have a friend test ride (if the dealer allows) and If they tell me it's good to go, get it.

• Like 1

I bought a new 2020 last September and put 9500 kms on it last fall. Still have my 93 FJ 1200 but wanted something to ride 2 up and wanted luggage. I had some concerns about the V twin engine as I’ve always had 4 cylinder bikes. Let me tell you that any concerns went away very quickly. It’s incredible how smooth it is but the torque it makes is absolutely amazing and the eeze at which it cruises at highway speeds is very impressive. The looks are a step away from everything else and for me that was important,I didn’t want anyone mistaking it for a Harley. In short I absolutely love it and am completely happy with it. I wish it had more adjustments for front and rear suspension including dampening. No problems of any kind,fuel mileage is 5.8 litres per hundred kms and I ride 2 up all the time and at excessive speeds. Awesome bike. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@DarthJ Down the road if you can find a bike that has been through a number of warranty work such as the 'brake switch' and 'starter', etc...it can save you time effort in taking the bike back for repairs.  Have fun shopping and keep in touch.