IGNORED

Close call to a tragedy this morning

OrlinEngh

I have been plowing snow for 36 years and this morning I was ready to park the truck and hand in my keys.

I was plowing and winging the snow back off of the side of the roads, I was getting near where I turn around at the Town line there is a drive way there and I plow the end out because we use it as a turn around spot. I was getting towards the drive and seen a dark object along the road by the ditch and raised the wing and swung out some to avoid it.

I pulled in the drive and backed around and then I seen what it was, a kid in a dark coat and hat about 8 or 10 years old maybe. Setting in the snow waiting for the school bus. Hands on top of the head all tucked down with the hood of the coat pulled over. At first I wasnt sure that I didnt hit the kid with the wing the was setting there. I stopped and put the window down and got a wave and the kid got up. Now I dont know why the kid just sat there like that, Maybe thought would be fun to get sprayed with snow or what.

All I could think about was what if I hadnt got the wing up quicker or not been looking and seen the kid. I wasnt sure what it was when I went by, Looked like a garbage bag or a stump rolled down off of the hill. Just a dark something a long the road, There are times I just use the wing and push those things out of the way and then pick them up later. I still dont want to think if I had done that.

I have some close calls over the years, But none even come close to how this one has made me feel. I am very thank full to the guardian angel watching over the both of us this morning.

Orlin

• Like 3

I got to talk with the boy this morning and he is 8 years old. Stopped to tell him that school had a two hour delay due to the cold. And talked with him about staying in the driveway and be seen when the truck or buss is coming. And he was a very nice about it, And he said that he would from now on. I am thinking he got a pretty good scare out of coming so close to getting hit.

And he had on a new blue jacket instead of the black one he had on yesterday.

• Like 2

Hey Orlin,

If you EVER doubted that this was the job for you, my friend doubt NO MORE! Your Eagle Eyes, Your Steady Hands, and Years of Experience ALL came into play on that day! You gave that young boy the gift of LIFE! The saying goes, "Not ALL Hero's Wear Capes"! I'd be proud to ride with you ANYTIME, Brother!

Earl

I am surprised they even plowed in that fashion. Up here highway plows usually team plow, with three staggered trucks 1st plow does the third lane and a piece of the left shoulder as well as part of the middle lane, depositing the snow to its right. The second truck follows slightly behind and to the right down the middle and part of the right lane picking up the windrow left by the 1st truck moving it even further to the right and finally the third truck taking whats left of the 1st lane and the right shoulder. all the snow is progressively moved off beyond the right shoulder. Nothing goes over to the left.

• Like 1