IGNORED

How to securely ride with a big canine?

VentureFar

Anyone seen or have a way they have made a secure way to ride a Gen 2 with a big dog? ( Labrador size) I am thinking taking off the trunk and pillion and mounting a “cage”. But don’t know where to start. I am not a metal fabricator. Thanks for any input. FYI she is a fully trained service dog and I would first train her to the bike before leaving the driveway. 

44 minutes ago, VentureFar said:

Found this site - they cost $1100 plus harness - interesting. My dog would be trainable to stay and be comfortable but I worry if we go down

https://www.goruffly.com/motorcycle-dog-carrier/

I don't want to go with a side car or trailer. After researching, I think I will just leave her at home like I have been.

VentureFar...

I really like that Idea and it looks simple to build. Its much along the lines of something I was thinking about as an alternative to the mini horse trailer idea I was think of a while back with my 1st Airedale Jake before he past away, though the idea I had in mind was not as nice looking as this one. Some tubing a bender a welder and some material to upholster it with and the job is a s good as done. The way the trunk mounts on the first gen it would be easy to make it a convertible set up so you can switch back and forth. Rio is good in a canoe so I have no concerns about his behavior.  I must admit going down would be a concern for his safety so that part I would have to think long and hard about.

Edited by saddlebum

22 hours ago, stickhandle2 said:

As someone that has a sidecar, to me for a dog as large as a lab, the sidecar is the best option, both for the pups safety and yours.  Plus sidecars are just so much fun.  Mike 

something like this maybe

20180526_120154.thumb.jpg.990b2bc46a8253e1591eef14cf482ce7.jpg

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, stickhandle2 said:

Wow …..that is a good picture, even better that was a great day.  Thanks for posting it Ben, and yes Carl that is good pic of me, Baloo the wonder dog always makes any pic better.

In case anyone is wondering what @stickhandle2 and Baloo were looking at if memory serves my right (which can be hit and miss for me at times) it was a good looking lady and her good looking female dog passing by. I thought I would take the pic catching them in the act in case I needed some hush money.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

In case anyone is wondering what @stickhandle2 and Baloo were looking at if memory serves my right (which can be hit and miss for me at times) it was a good looking women and her good looking dog passing by. I thought I would take the pic catching them in the act in case I needed some hush money.

Actually?? Really?? If my memory serves me correct Baloo and Mike were having a discussion and Baloo was indicating to his master that a ride on the Spyder might prove to be an interesting option, he sure did like the color and all!!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Actually?? Really?? If my memory serves me correct Baloo and Mike were having a discussion and Baloo was indicating to his master that a ride on the Spyder might prove to be an interesting option, he sure did like the color and all!!

Actually that discussion you are referring to, was well before the picture was taken and what they were trying to figure out was " what kind of trike has two wheels in front and one in the rear instead of the other way around and were the heck was the side car " I am not sure colour actually entered conversation since they lost all interest once the good looking lady with the good looking female dog walked by which was when I took the shot.

Edited by saddlebum

Oh boy, how can you guys remember that much detail when you usually can’t recall what you had for breakfast.   In my recollection, Ben was playing the paparazzi part with his camera quite well that, and we were looking at the spyder thinking where would a side car go on that and it could be tough the fly the sidecar cause there would be 1 too many wheels.   Or maybe somebody yelled “squirrel” that usually does it for Baloo and I.

5 hours ago, stickhandle2 said:

Oh boy, how can you guys remember that much detail when you usually can’t recall what you had for breakfast.   In my recollection, Ben was playing the paparazzi part with his camera quite well that, and we were looking at the spyder thinking where would a side car go on that and it could be tough the fly the sidecar cause there would be 1 too many wheels.   Or maybe somebody yelled “squirrel” that usually does it for Baloo and I.

Are you saying in a round about way that Ben was going squirrelly??

I noticed you had the Spyder part right anyways.

9 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Yes but sounds like more from a point of confusion than admiration

So now you admit you are confused,,,, welll, that's good news! You know of course that the first step into getting better from something is to admit you have a problem in the first place. Good for you!

21 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

So now you admit you are confused,,,, welll, that's good news! You know of course that the first step into getting better from something is to admit you have a problem in the first place. Good for you!

Thank you so much. I must admit.I could not have done it alone.  Having you, who has been going through this for much longer, mentoring me through this does make it a lot easier. I think :think: Now I am getting confused again :confused24:

Edited by saddlebum

30 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Thank you so much. I must admit.I could not have done it alone.  Having you, who has been going through this for much longer, mentoring me through this does make it a lot easier. I think :think: Now I am getting confused again :confused24:

It's not me that was confused,, it is the rest of the world. 😃 It's not easy being me, but somebody has to do it!! 🙃Glad to be of help!🤪