IGNORED

Where is Ventureriders headed?

Freebird

I got a message from a member asking why the site is so dead lately.  I don't know for sure but I feel like it's just taking the same course as so many clubs do over the years.  We have to be around 15 years old now and many of our core members have gotten older and quit riding.  I don't even ride much any longer.  I think I took my bike out one time last summer.  I keep saying that I'm going to get back into it but just haven't had the desire.  

I think that all this Covid stuff played at least a small part.  Our regional rallies and etc. were a glue that helped hold us all together,.  Getting together in person and sharing our stories, working on the bikes, just enjoying one anothers company always seemed to rekindle things.  I haven't even had my annual Maintenance Day now for 3 years and that was a highlight, at least for Eileen and I.  Not sure we'll have it this year due to the surge of Covid happening again.  I know that we need to but just don't know yet.

I've not been nearly as active and that pays a big part also,  I used to spend a lot of time looking for interesting things to post, tips for our bikes, all kinds of things but just haven't had the time.  Starting a new business about 3 years ago has consumed a lot of my time.  

Now here is something that I haven't told any of you.  Those of you who have been around for a long time will remember that I had a bout with cancer a few years ago, about 13 years ago to be more exact.  I had Ocular Melanoma and due to the radiation and etc.,, ended up losing 100% of the site in my right eye.  I still go back yearly for follow ups.  Well my yearly exam was last week and I was dismayed to learn that I again have the cancer.  It, luckily, is in the same eye so going blind is not an issue.  The fact is though, I don't know yet if it has spread to the liver or anywhere else.  I will be going into the hospital late next week for surgery and more radiation.  I have appointments sometime over the next week or so for MRIs and etc. to determine if it has spread.  I'm trying to not fret over it too much.  Just going about my work and will see where things end up.

I hate that the site has gotten slow but have no intentions of shutting it down anytime in the near future.  I put my heart and sole into this site for a lot of years and I have to do better.  In the meantime, I hope that most of you will stick with us, spread the word about the site, and hopefully we can get it moving again.  Only time will tell.

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

We will all be pulling for you, Don!

As far as the site getting slow, characters like the much loved Cowpuc, Yammer Dan, Flying Fool, and Bongo kept us entertained for sure.  And it is winter time when many folks have put their bikes in the garage and are doing other stuff.  

• Like 6

One other thing that I meant to add.  I think that Facebook plays a big role in the decline of these forums.  It used to take literally hours, days, weeks to create a group hangout like this..  Now somebody can go on Facebook and in a matter of 5 minutes create a Facebook group.  While some want nothing to do with Facebook, the fact is, that's the go to place for many people.

Very sorry to hear about your relapse Don. Will send a prayer for you and hope things work out. Regarding the site I for one will continue to be a member and hopefully as we deal with and hopefully defeat this covid issue things will slowly return to normal. Last of  all I for one appreciate the time and effort you have given to maintain this site and feel it is one of the best run sites on the web. 

Regarding face book I have no interest in face book at all and have never ever signed up for it.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 4

Hi.....  Freebird  ,  my thoughts prayers go with you  ....I know a bit of what you are going through .  2010 I had a MRI on a follow up ...I got a call from my doctor in the H.S.C. Winnipeg hospital to come in ASAP.        There were  5 doctors in the room ,  They introduced them selves , doctor said to me we are keeping you in tonight and will doing surgery in the morning  ...He said you have 4 tumors on your liver growing at a rate never seen before  ....You have at most 4 days to stop this ...   8 hours of surgery , and when  I woke I turned my head and saw the bottle on on the IV pole . that read Chemo  .. They had to remove the liver to get the job done , and then put it back in   they got it all ....Today I am fine other than some changes in my body  ........I think that this site is great , keep it going   So often I read about stuff I have had on my bike 

• Like 3

My thoughts are with you as well. 

Like others, my posting here reduced with Covid (and I'll admit partially to the new layout/software).  I miss the regional meets and look forward to going to MD if/when it it happens again.  As you mentioned, the regional get togethers held people together.  Last time I got together with more than one member was when Carl helped Phil and I with our valve checks.  I did meet one new member to sell him a windscreen and talk about the Venture.

I think one of the other things that has caused posting to decrease is that the 2nd Gen hasn't been in production since 2013 and like the 1st Gen the number of riders has decreased. There are several "original" members that were regular posters that have fallen off due to health or retiring from riding. 

I've made several friends on here and look forward to meeting up with Canadian and U.S. members again.

Don - I hope your surgery goes well.  As I'm sure other members will agree....if there is anything anyone here can do for you don't be afraid to ask.  We tend to be more "family" on here and there for each other when needed. 

• Like 4

Thoughts and prayers are with you.   

I've always appreciated what you've done to create and maintain this site, and was happy that you didn't sell it years ago when you had the chance.   As I've said before, it's a rare site that avoids much of the negativity that I've found on other sites....I dunno why people are like that....I do miss the get togethers and look forward to attending them again.   This whole covid bs, whether real or perceived,  has done so much damage in so many ways that I don't know that the US can fully recover.   The world is changing, and not for the better.     

As a tech resource alone, this is a valuable site, but the camaraderie, humor and sometimes drama keep me coming back.   

I'm here for the long haul.   

Take care boss....you'll be in my thoughts.

Good Karma Hospital India GIF by Acorn TV

• Like 3

Phantom Wife and I are sorry to hear this news!  I also really appreciate  how you keep this site going with all tat you do!!! I have been member since 2002(approximately) and have learned alot about both first and second gen bikes(1987  and  2012 owned) Also have seen less and less participation but also put this down to Covid19 and probably fewer bikes.  

Also the great loss of some past friends that have left us before their time!!!! 

I try to post as much as I can to keep in touch with those that are still here and also look forward to visiting with as many members as I can  Ike @XV1100SE said last time we got together was at @Marcarls to work on his and my bike valves.That was a good day! All the restriction placed on us here in Ontario really suck as we have a hard time going anywhere! Really miss going to Maintenance Day and New York rallies and also our Canadian rally .Wood have been very interested in the other rallies but because of work and distance was not possible! 

So now that I have said my 2cents I really hope that things pick up in the near future and you get through your situation!!!

• Like 3

Prayers up Freebird, #1 important thing is your health and family.  I recently crossed the line to a F6B, love the bike, I just couldn't do the feet forward thing with the 2nd Gen.  I am here daily, enjoying the camaraderie.  I also point people this way from Facebook groups frequently.  Forget the name, but someone in one of the groups doesn't like that, I just laugh. 

Edited by SpencerPJ
  • Like 4

Don, we’ve never met and I’m a relatively newcomer here, by it’s obvious to me that you have created a legacy of friends, family, knowledge & camaraderie here.  I do not do social media at all & what we have here is unique.  Without what you’ve done, I would not have gotten the encouragement & knowledge to dive into my bike (now bikes!) and learn more about wrenching than I ever thought I wanted to.  I’m now enjoying doing & learning more every day.  Whatever I can do to keep that going forward - I am in.  I look forward to the day that I can meet all of you in person. 

Thank you Don!

We will keep you & your family in thoughts & prayers as you face this new challenge. Stay positive & strong.  

• Like 3

So sorry to learn of your cancer.  Godspeed in your recovery Don.  I’m relatively new here also, I bought my 87 literally the week before the world shut down.  I had never heard of a venture more than the night before I bought it, without this site it most certainly would have been sold shortly after I acquired it.  The level of knowledge here is unparalleled to any other forum I’ve been a part of and I can’t stress enough the professionalism and camaraderie that is achieved here.  There is like ZERO negativity and or making someone feel dumb for not knowing something, even if it’s common wrenching knowledge and not bike specific, everyone is here to learn and help.  I’m a pretty seasoned mechanic, but working on bikes isn’t my typical wrench time.  With the help of all of you I have the confidence to go out on two wheels and feel safe.  I can’t comment specifically to the decline in activity, I think we’re a pretty active bunch honestly.  I’m pretty much checking in daily, and plan to continue.

• Like 2

Don,

So sorry to hear the cancer is back. Kris and I will have you in our prayers, as always.

I chalk the recent lack of activity here up to the weather and the COVID stupidity. We are still around and I check the forum several times a day. Just not doing any riding lately.

Here's hoping all goes well for you.

• Like 1

I can agree with what you said Don, but have some added thoughts. I have a feeling this could be a long one, so get a coffee.

Yes, I think that traffic is down somewhat, but that can be explained maybe. When you first started the site there was no information locally (on site) available, so many questions were asked and opinions delivered, which would increase traffic and also comradeship. Today there is a load of info available just by browsing so no need to expose oneself to the opinion of others, not that that is a bad thing, it just keeps a person in the shadows. There is also more info available on the net. I even checked out the FB page, but didn't find that it was overly busy either, actually quite the opposite.

Yes, we have lost some good longtime members and we will continue that trend in the future, none of us are here to stay forever, but we also have plenty of members who step in to help out whenever somebody needs help, so I don't think that not getting the help needed is an issue. Do miss those members though.

Times change and so do our needs and interest, so the demographics of this site might also be wrapped up in all that. We started out as a site to be a help for others, then it became and 'family', rather close knit, who we chatted to on bike related topics and so then we got together to find out who we actually were and our other interests. Now we've been locked out and down for a while and maybe that has an effect on our need for other Venture people because we are focusing more on those close to home and finding that isn't so bad either.

For myself, I haven't been riding as much as I once did. We, Marca and I used to put on 10-15,000 k per season. Last year I don't think I even got to 2k, so that does change my needs and interests, as I'm sure others have the same things happening. Part of the problem last year was Covid, some was the weather, and some was related to having other things to do that couldn't wait any longer.

On the other side, I don't think there is anything you have done, or should have done. This site has been a blessing to many and for some it was just too much to bear. You have put together something rich and wonderful. It may continue to grow slowly, but that maybe the best thermometer. You have given many of us a forum in which we can help our fellow man (or woman) and for that we are very grateful. Many of us I'm sure would pay more to make it better financially.

As far as the cancer thing is concerned, you will be included in our prayers to the Great Physician. He hears all, sees all and controls all, after all He created it all, as you well know. He will keep you and bless you and let His face shine upon you.

Looking forward to Kentucky already!!

• Like 7

Don,

So sorry to hear of the occurrence of the cancer, we are praying for you. I like some others moved away from the Venture line , but still checked in many times a day to see what my friends were up to and try to lend a hand if I could, even now that I have quit riding, I still check in everyday to see how my family is doing and help if possible.  

You have done a great job with the forum and we do appreciate you for it. The slow down is most certainly due to all of the things listed above. I know I do not see as many people riding as I did in the past, surely a result of this Covid stuff and the ever changing world we live in.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marcarl said:

I can agree with what you said Don, but have some added thoughts. I have a feeling this could be a long one, so get a coffee.

Yes, I think that traffic is down somewhat, but that can be explained maybe. When you first started the site there was no information locally (on site) available, so many questions were asked and opinions delivered, which would increase traffic and also comradeship. Today there is a load of info available just by browsing so no need to expose oneself to the opinion of others, not that that is a bad thing, it just keeps a person in the shadows. There is also more info available on the net. I even checked out the FB page, but didn't find that it was overly busy either, actually quite the opposite.

Yes, we have lost some good longtime members and we will continue that trend in the future, none of us are here to stay forever, but we also have plenty of members who step in to help out whenever somebody needs help, so I don't think that not getting the help needed is an issue. Do miss those members though.

Times change and so do our needs and interest, so the demographics of this site might also be wrapped up in all that. We started out as a site to be a help for others, then it became and 'family', rather close knit, who we chatted to on bike related topics and so then we got together to find out who we actually were and our other interests. Now we've been locked out and down for a while and maybe that has an effect on our need for other Venture people because we are focusing more on those close to home and finding that isn't so bad either.

For myself, I haven't been riding as much as I once did. We, Marca and I used to put on 10-15,000 k per season. Last year I don't think I even got to 2k, so that does change my needs and interests, as I'm sure others have the same things happening. Part of the problem last year was Covid, some was the weather, and some was related to having other things to do that couldn't wait any longer.

On the other side, I don't think there is anything you have done, or should have done. This site has been a blessing to many and for some it was just too much to bear. You have put together something rich and wonderful. It may continue to grow slowly, but that maybe the best thermometer. You have given many of us a forum in which we can help our fellow man (or woman) and for that we are very grateful. Many of us I'm sure would pay more to make it better financially.

As far as the cancer thing is concerned, you will be included in our prayers to the Great Physician. He hears all, sees all and controls all, after all He created it all, as you well know. He will keep you and bless you and let His face shine upon you.

Looking forward to Kentucky already!!

Very well put but I did have to go refill my coffee.

• Like 1

Stay strong, Don.  I also would like to thank you for all what you did for this great forum.  I enjoy going to this site everyday.  Things will get better and hopefully I can join the group this summer and get to meet fellow riders and to see you once again.  Take care all.  Keep in touch. 

thankyou freebird for all you do on this site! i've learned alot my motorcycle and have been able to fix alot of things mysef with the hep of everyone here! my thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with cancer again!!!! god bless you for who you are n all you do for the rest of us notheads!!!!!!:innocent-emoticon::innocent-emoticon::innocent-emoticon:

Don,

This site is a blessing to most but more importantly you are a blessing to all. While we are all praying for your success against this bout of cancer, more importantly we wait for the good news that you have conquered it again. I am on many of the FB groups for the Gen 2 and the Gen 3 but I watch those groups stumble on technical knowledge and fight the constant assault by the negativity. I can't tell you how often I post on FB that someone should come to this site for help. The group here has amazing knowledge on all versions of this bike and are ready and willing to help. That's what makes this the Best site available. Regardless of the bike.  

• Like 2

After reading all the other post I have to agree with each and everyone, I actually gave out a business card a while back because the rider was not with his bike remember the cards we use to print off the site. 

Prayers up for you and your family. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

Prayers up Freebird, #1 important thing is your health and family.  I recently crossed the line to a F6B, love the bike, I just couldn't do the feet forward thing with the 2nd Gen.  I am here daily, enjoying the camaraderie.  I also point people this way from Facebook groups frequently.  Forget the name, but someone in one of the groups doesn't like that, I just laugh. 

If this is who I think it is I can't believe he is still hanging on to his grudge. He used to be a member here and I met him in person once while out on a ride and boy did he rant me an ear full when he noticed the venture rider sticker on my windshield. I could not get out of that doughnut shop fast enough. That had to be 10 or 15 years ago when membership was free and Don had requested a membership fee to help offset costs. I am sure he has brainwashed a few people into his way of thinking he sure tried it on me. I simply told him think what you will But that I was sure there were costs involved in running the site not to mention Don's Time and commitment to keeping the site in top shape. PG clean and slander free. Also told him if the rest of us are willing to pay a tiny annual fee for such a great forum that probably paid us back tenfold in savings and shared knowledge that's our free choice no one is forcing us and not for him to judge or criticize. Then I got out real quick before he could respond with more of his rhetoric.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DON. and get better we still need you.

P/S if some one wants to accuse me of drinking the lemonade, all I can say is its the best darned tasting lemonade around!

Refill please :beer:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woody said:

After reading all the other post I have to agree with each and everyone, I actually gave out a business card a while back because the rider was not with his bike remember the cards we use to print off the site. 

Prayers up for you and your family. 

I remember those. Sadly we don't see as many ventures as we used to. Specially the cream of the crop ahead of its time 1st gens.

• Like 1

Freebird, so sorry to hear of your relapse. Prayers for a speedy and positive outcome. I agree 100% that the local get-togethers and the Maintenance Days were awesome. I think everyone enjoyed those and they definitely helped keep this group together. Covid has wreaked havoc on all social groups and gatherings and can't end soon enough.

I left this group a few years ago when I sold my RSV and switched to a Wing......that didn't last long. I missed my RSV and I missed this group of misfits.  Sold the Wing, bought another RSV and rejoined this clan......and feel like I am home again.

I hope this group can continue on....the friendships created here, the wealth of knowledge here and the willingness of members to jump in and help another member is unmatched anywhere.

Stay safe everyone....spring will come.....

• Like 2

Wow Don @Freebird, I wasn’t aware of your previous or current battle with cancer. 😢

As someone already stated YOU are a blessing and we will surely lift you before the throne of God.  May Gods hand of grace and mercy be upon you and his covenant of healing by the stripes on Jesus back be yours.

We look forward to your testimony of victory!

Godspeed

• Like 3