IGNORED

GPS mount, left or right side?

Pasta Burner

Any preferences for which side to mount GPS?  Obvious in my mind is to not interrupt the throttle hand, however I’m right handed.  Is it difficult to reach across your body for controls on the opposite side?  I really don’t like the U-Bolt mount it came with but before I buy something else looking for advice.

87VR

I mounted my phone holder (I use the phone maps for nav) on the right side, along with a bluetooth module inside the fairing (connected to aux) so that I get directions spoken to me through the speakers.  I wear distance glasses and can see the screen, but its a wee bit blurry, so rely primarily on the speakers.  I'm already streaming music via Pandora, via bluetooth, so the spoken directions merely override the music momentarily.

Not sure if that helps or answers any of your questions though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, circa1968 said:

I mounted my phone holder (I use the phone maps for nav) on the right side, along with a bluetooth module inside the fairing (connected to aux) so that I get directions spoken to me through the speakers.  I wear distance glasses and can see the screen, but its a wee bit blurry, so rely primarily on the speakers.  I'm already streaming music via Pandora, via bluetooth, so the spoken directions merely override the music momentarily.

Not sure if that helps or answers any of your questions though.

Right side just feels more natural in my mind.  I’ll be running everything Bluetooth using the GPS as the hub.  Phone will provide music and notifications to GPS and GPS will relay to Bluetooth cassette receiver which plays through speakers.  My assumption is since the GPS is controlling the music to the speakers it will override when giving directions.  I really don’t anticipate touching the GPS while riding much more than skipping songs or checking weather or changing map view.  Destination and other settings will be done when stopped.

Next to explore is if my phone is smart enough to send calls to my helmet and everything else to GPS.

I originally had mine on the right side but changed it to the left side because it seemed to be easier to use it. (like using the zoom feature or to see whats up ahead)

No issues with using my left hand and keeping right hand on throttle.

• Like 2

Primary GPS on the throttle side.  Secondary GPS on the clutch side.  If I'm not in rally mode, only use the primary which is wired into the bike for directions and XM.

BTW, if you need cheaters to see up close, use a stick-on bifocal lens on the bottom of your helmet faceshield.  Works great.  Search for 'stick-on bifocal' in Amazon and choose your strength.  I place mine a little off-center so it isn't in my normal field of view.  Tilt my head a bit to check the GPS and it is clear.

RR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Primary GPS on the throttle side.  Secondary GPS on the clutch side.  If I'm not in rally mode, only use the primary which is wired into the bike for directions and XM.

BTW, if you need cheaters to see up close, use a stick-on bifocal lens on the bottom of your helmet faceshield.  Works great.  Search for 'stick-on bifocal' in Amazon and choose your strength.  I place mine a little off-center so it isn't in my normal field of view.  Tilt my head a bit to check the GPS and it is clear.

RR

What an awesome idea & tip!  Thank you.  I ride with my faceshield all the way up 90+% of the time, so could just tip it down when occasionally needed.  Did you install both lenses or just one?

On 12/20/2021 at 3:56 PM, circa1968 said:

What an awesome idea & tip!  Thank you.  I ride with my faceshield all the way up 90+% of the time, so could just tip it down when occasionally needed.  Did you install both lenses or just one?

Just one.  Keep the other one in my tank bag in case it falls off.  Hasn't fallen off in 3 or 4 years of being installed.  However, I think I'm needing to up the magnification for this year.  Gettin' old isn't for sissies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had mine on the Left Hand Side --Clutch Lever Side ...I relocated to the Hand Side , only because I had a better bracket for throttle side ..

.What I did find was that the left hand mounted unit kept my eyes trained on the center of the road .

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the opinions. I bought a Ram stud ball mount because I didn’t like the u-bolt.  I think its going to be trial and error for personal preference.  Now just roads please clear up!

RAM Mounts Ball Adapter with M10 X 1.25 Threaded Post RAM-B-349U with B Size 1" Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036G97DG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TYVEH07KN4KXJ8VTAJJ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Pasta Burner

I also have the RAM mount for my gps mounted on the right side of the RSV.   It is ok either way, left or right as long as you remember not to tinker with it while on the move.   For safety, I always stop and make changes or updates on my gps.   

• Like 1

Interesting question. My answer is right side. XM radio is on left side. I'm usually on cruise going down the road so my right hand can handle a GPS issue. Any other time, I'll pull over and stop to do a GPS change. Probably need a break at that point anyway. BTW, if you are right handed, you will find it's easier to look to your right than across your body to the left. At least for me it is.....dominant eye thing?

That said, it's an easy thing to move the gps unit...just leave enough wire under the fairing to do so. My GPS power comes from the left side, I just routed the wire through the fairing and out the right side by the bars.

Try a position and see how it works for you.