IGNORED

Riding Season Is Never Over

N3FOL

Despite the ups and downs in the weather here in SE Pa, I took advantage of the change and rode the bike to and from work and will do the same again tomorrow which will be the warmest day of the week.   Thanks to the heated grips and seat  on a 40° temp ride.   So folks, it is time to wipe down your bikes and go for a ride.  Always be safe.   Black And White Vintage GIF

• Like 1

I have found that at minus 10 degrees  , no wind and a dry road a 15 - 20 minute ride beats sitting in the coffee shop talking about a bike ride ... But I did stop in at coffee shop after the ride to warm up with a hot drink ..And besides that a ride down the road even on a cool day like does the bike a lot of good  ....It will equalize the electrical system on the bike ...When a engine sits all winter the gaskets sometimes begin to leak ..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I’ve only used my heated grips once and wowww!  What do you have going for a seat?

After fine tuning my heat settings on the SVTC, it only takes 1 bar for the seat to be so comfy on colder days.   Anything higher than that will burn the buttocks.   It is true, it does make a very big difference to have heated grips and seat.   I think today, it is my RSV’s turn to hit the road.   

4 hours ago, larrydr said:

……When a engine sits all winter the gaskets sometimes begin to leak ..

True.   That is one reason why I don’t like the RSV sitting too long in the garage.   This bike is meant to run all year long.   😀.    🏍

Rode my old Nighthawk S about 15 miles once in single digit temps.   I won't do it again..lol...

No fairing, no heated grips or seat and just jeans and a winter coat and cotton gloves.

I was just trying to move it for storage, but 'bout froze to death.   That wind while rolling cuts right through "normal" clothing.

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF

Lowest I've ridden is -5, I was 17 in northern Ohio.  Now nearly 40 years later in TX, 25 on the '06 Black Cherry and 28 on the SVTC.  The SVTC was far more comfortable with the heated seats and grips. I could go much lower on the SVTC if I had chaps to throw on. Layer up. 

• Like 1

I have found that at minus 10 degrees  , no wind and a dry road a 15 - 20 minute ride beats sitting in the coffee shop talking about a bike ride ... But I did stop in at coffee shop after the ride to warm up with a hot drink ..And besides that a ride down the road even on a cool day like does the bike a lot of good 

I agree with this comment!  It seems to be a much more spirited ride as bike likes the colder temp! Also does the BODY and MIND good!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have any heated options on bike or clothing. Just make sure I have liners and extra shirt or  my Frog Toggs in saddle bags to put over coat to lessen wind penetration

As soon as rain stops I will try to get out again as temp is to be around 5 to 7deg cel today.

Was out the other day blowing snow with my modified lawn tractor.

• Like 1

I remember one ride I did in October from Tellico Plains to Deals Gap was downright frightening.  Rode all day in great fall weather but warm enough in the sunshine to get the leathers, gloves, and helmet sweaty.  Came back over the mountain after nightfall, ambient temperature 28 degrees.  Sooo cold it was difficult to control my body let alone the bike controls.

My tolerance to cold has decreased little by little over time.   I still have vivid memories of my fingers freezing up…soooo painful and I don’t want to go through that kind of feeling anymore.   Unfortunately, this happened on my old Kawasaki a few decades ago with just a small windshield to protect me.  

Chaps is a must have for cold riding.  

Always ride, when you get the chance.   

138F87B6-7489-49D9-8995-EA02BCEBBBDD.jpeg

I found some insulated blue jeans at  a local clothing store ...They are great for late fall riding . Best is add some boot straps  from the lower leg or cuff to under the arch of your boot , this will keep the wind out ....I have used them for about 6 years now and would not want to be without them .

• Like 1

Haven't had to put liners in chaps yet but have liner in coat. Wear collar neck piece to keep wind and cold from going down neck and back. Haven't found good warm gloves yet. Have tried winter--snowmobile --and lined gloves but the warmest ones I have are a insulated rain glove that aren't too bad except tips of fingers.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, larrydr said:

I found some insulated blue jeans at  a local clothing store ...They are great for late fall riding . Best is add some boot straps  from the lower leg or cuff to under the arch of your boot , this will keep the wind out ....I have used them for about 6 years now and would not want to be without them .

I do the same and some times I also use Gaiters such as hikers use in winter and also skiers.

I also find washing the clothes in something like Nikwax Cotton Proof™ helps to keep them from soaking up water from snow and rain. It helps make the clothing water repellent. Depending on the material it can vary from water proof to different levels of water repellent. At the very least it helps prevent the jeans from soaking and holding a thousand gallons of water which can turn warm jeans into body heat robbing clothing. I do all my cotton camping gear with it as well since wet cotton can actually cause hypothermia in cold weather.

Check out this link: https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/cotton-proof/

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

Really good ideas, guys. Thanks. I'm good with most winter riding in Arizona, but freezing temps are out! Did that to many times on the little Honda 160 going from school in Boston back home to New Hampshire in the 60's. The cold was a bit much. I'll waterproof some jeans, use long johns and enjoy the winter riding down here.

Our (my) biggest issue is riding in the summer when its over 100 degrees. Road surface temps can be killer, especially stuck in traffic. I can't handle that stuff anymore...

Extreme heat and extreme cold can take a toll especially when you are stuck in traffic.   That would be one of my worst nightmare.   However, getting stuck in traffic on cold weather beats getting stuck in traffic on a very hot day… at least IMO.   Today is a cold day, so I think I’ll take the truck instead.   In 2 days, we will be back to 60° temp - what a huge swing in temperature.  Ride Safe all   

E0E9D661-2BF9-4744-A0C2-0EDDD1757574.png

Edited by N3FOL

@MarcarlWell I didn't have it really clean as Phantom had to park car outside over winter. BUT have just today cleaned 1/2 0f 2car garage enough that she ill be able to park her car in. I can still be able to get snow blower out (modified lawn cutter to mount 40" blower on) after I move car out. Other plow tractor is in other side of garage at the garage door and the bike is in behind tractor but upon better weather it is easy to move around to go for ride. Went for ride yesterday but decided to clean out so Phantom could park

@saddlebum is right no matter what I do it happens.

My garage gets full all by itself ...3 Yamaha bikes 1979 750 Triple , 1981 750 Virago , 1983 XVZ1200  , and my shop equipement , Everything has its place and I like it ...i tell everyone when they see me and my shop , what you see is what you get , because this is who I am ...i ride as often as I can as long as the road is clear 

Edited by larrydr

On 12/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, saddlebum said:

Garages are self full filling. They get filled full all on their own. :hurts:

This reminds me to sweep all the leaves that made it inside the garage.  I hate opening my garage door on a windy day.  :thumbsup2: