IGNORED

Wheel Bearing

RG Rider

My 2006 Venture has a murmur when i go in to a curve. I only have 24,000 miles on it but it is a new sound that has developed and I'm sure it is a bearing. I've had the same scenario more the once of F150 fords. Same deal you only hear it in a curve. I assume it to be the front but have no way of being sure . Has anyone had this happen on there bike?

Check your tires, being as the noise is in a curve it could be the tread on the tires. Check especially for cupping on the side tread. Could also be a bearing, to check that you need to have the wheel off the ground and then check for play at the axle. Also check for smoothness as it turns, a stethoscope might be hand there.

Another possible cause can be dry drive pins in the rear wheel hub. Remove the wheel clean the pins rubbers and holes of any rust or debris, then lubricate the contact surfaces of the bins and sockets  and reinstall. A high tack water proof grease such as red N tacky,  any marine stern drive propeller shaft or grease such as Volvo Penta 828250 propeller shaft grease. The main thing is that the grease is a high tack, high temp water resistant grease which is rubber friendly. Though I have not used it myself some even like to use fluid film and swear by it.

P/S You can check your wheel bearings at the same time.

Edited by saddlebum

This goes back to off season maintenance ...I have a simple check for the off season , if any of the following components are more than 40% gone I replace them ,  steering head bearing adjustment , tire wear  , wheel bearings , rear suspension and internal rear wheel drive component fitment ... Gaskets , battery & wire connections  ..Some riders say that this is a unneeded expense .... But when I am 3 hours from home , what is a unneeded expense .. 

• Like 1