IGNORED

No Main/Ignition Power

I checked the wiring harness and it is ok.  I am trying to source another relay now.  I am going to keep my special seat removal wrench (10mm combo cut in half), a 5mm allen, and a 12mm combo, handy at the top of my boxes in case I need to do this on the side of the road.

@djh3 said, Standard Bosch type 30/40 amp relay. Available at auto parts store. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/standard-ignition/lighting---electrical/relays/accessory-relays/accessory-relay/09b63088360c/standard-ignition-5-terminal-multi-purpose-relay/std0/ry1770/v/a/97145/automotive-suv-2011-dodge-durango?pos=0 This one is pricey, but you get the idea rite?

Yes sir, thank you.  I just replied to your IM as well.  I will obtain a relay locally.

2 hours ago, djh3 said:

That Bosch relay is a different animal. If you look at the schematic on the side of the case 87 and 87a are both normally open and joined together internally. The relay Du-Rron is showing is different in that terminal 87 is normally open and terminal 87a is normally closed they are separated internally making it a switch over relay. So @Du-Rronmake sure you match up with the same type relay. The extra Diode in some relay's is to prevent a voltage spike from occurring when the relay is switched off preventing damage to voltage sensitive circuits. If the original did not have the added diode you can use either but if the original had the diode than you should replace it with the same. The one you show in the picture does not have the diode. That box with slanted line in it indicates the operating coil in the relay and which terminals go to that operating coil . If it had a diode you would see a triangle with a line across one of the points beside the little box, which indicates the diode. Also if the relay has a diode the +12v line must go to pin 86 and the neg or ground to 85. If there is no diode the pos and neg wires across 86 an 85 can be hooked up either way.

@saddlebum , yeah... I gotta get the right relay.  At the time I didnt have my glasses on and I was looking through the camera.  Thought it had a diode...but no.  This one is not sealed so I am going to go to the parts store (NAPA) and look for a sealed one.

The ignition died on me 200 yards away from the house.  She is a real beasty to push.

Thanks!!!  Yall have a nice Thanksgiving!

I present the following for your humorous review.  I went to go get another relay... only to be stranded when the bike died AT THE ORIELLY parking lot.  (Yeah, I thought the old relay had a little more left in it so I rode the bike to oriellys...) It has happened to us all... but it is embarrassing to get under your gals dress...in public... in a parking lot.   Also, this is San Angelo, where if you need air for your tires, it has to be ordered. Oreillys did not have a generic 5 pin relay in stock.  I will just order one of amazon and it will arrive at my door.

You got to be kidding. A parts store didnt have a freakin 5 pin relay? Pop the top off the relay and see if its burned on the contacts. You could clean them up for temporary use. But Amazon will probably have out one as quick as your parts store. This parts store thing is nuts. I have a bad water pump on my wifes 5.7 Durango, pretty common car right? Parts store had to order the O rings for a water pipe that goes into the water pump. 

19 hours ago, Du-Rron said:

Thanks @saddlebum for the tip, Yesterday I ordered the exact Songle relay from Amazon and it should be at my door Saturday.

Hope that solves your issue once and for all. BTW for future reference those relays come stamped under many names even though it is the same relay. Hella, and Siemens are two examples, both quality relays and very common to find. Makes me wonder if the parts guy was unaware of that and may have had a relay on hand under a different brand name. But then again if you have to back order air for your tires :confused24:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

I went down the electrical isle and there were spots for some relays... but they didnt have any.  I asked if they had some in the back and they said that whatever was out there on the isle is all they had.  I didnt have access to the web page for the dodge relay you sent me at the time so I asked if they had any trailer light relays; generator relays...all blank stares.

10 hours ago, Du-Rron said:

I went down the electrical isle and there were spots for some relays... but they didnt have any.  I asked if they had some in the back and they said that whatever was out there on the isle is all they had.  I didnt have access to the web page for the dodge relay you sent me at the time so I asked if they had any trailer light relays; generator relays...all blank stares.

Wow,  This whole 'find the relay' sucks. I grew up in a rural area of Northern Ohio but we could drive an hour to some pretty big areas. Live in the city (My wife is from Long Island) and I wish every day we lived where it was more quiet - literally.  I think I'm going deaf due to all the noise. The hassle of living in a rural area for supplies is real but relays should be easily obtained. Heck they're even in a lot of tractors and other farm equipment. Hope you get it fixed soon. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bpate4home said:

Wow,  This whole 'find the relay' sucks. I grew up in a rural area of Northern Ohio but we could drive an hour to some pretty big areas. Live in the city (My wife is from Long Island) and I wish every day we lived where it was more quiet - literally.  I think I'm going deaf due to all the noise. The hassle of living in a rural area for supplies is real but relays should be easily obtained. Heck they're even in a lot of tractors and other farm equipment. Hope you get it fixed soon. 

They are on the slow boat from China, and now waiting to get unloaded outside the harbour.

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2021 at 5:20 AM, Marcarl said:

They are on the slow boat from China, and now waiting to get unloaded outside the harbour.

Which btw, has nothing to do with Covid or a shortage of truck drivers, as has been reported.

Sorry to hijack and take this way off topic, but the reason for the logjam goes back to last year when CA implemented new truck emission rules that prevents any truck older than 3 years old (or has had its exhaust emissions upgraded) from entering CA to pick up cargo.

I've ridden my Venture from San Jose to St. Louis twice this year.  1st time in the spring on the southern route across hiway 40 and 2nd time across hiway 70.  What I can guarantee you is there is no shortage of trucks or drivers.  On hiway 40, if I ever went 2 minutes without passing a truck, it was a rare event.  It was non-stop trucks.  And I saw numerous mile long trains hauling cargo boxes on each of those trips.

With only CA-approved trucks allowed to enter the ports, they are having to load up, drive to the state line, unload & return empty to repeat, so at best 50% utilization of those trucks.  So let's say 50% of the trucks in the country can't enter CA & then you only get 50% utilization from them.  That gives you 25% of available trucking capacity for clearing the docks and when there's no more room on the docks for cargo, you get a logjam of ships waiting to enter port.

This is 100% a self-inflicted wound from our tyrannical CA gov't.   My apologies to the rest of the country, but I do not vote for any of these clowns.

You can read more about it here:  The California Version of The Green New Deal and an October 16, 2020, EPA Settlement With Transportation is What's Creating The Container Shipping Backlog - Working CA Ports 24/7 Will Not Help, Here's Why - The Last Refuge (theconservativetreehouse.com)

• Thanks 1

Even here in Canada all the trucks we sell at our Volvo truck dealership, have California emission standards stickers on them because we know that these units do run to California and are not allowed in the state without the sticker. But this has been going on for some years now so not sure why all of a sudden it is surfacing as an issue in lieu of the Covid issue.

• Thanks 1