Jump to content
IGNORED

Well this is a new one!


ragtop69gs
 Share

Recommended Posts

Took a ride yesterday and my speedometer is going crazy, the indicator needle is fanning out and sweeping across the gauge face then back to normal, repeat, then the needle just disappears! If I shut the bike off and retry it goes back to normal for a short time.  Where should I start troubleshooting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would start with a nap! Most of my best thinking is done when I am horizontal. I then would locate a coffee, get a seat close to the scoot and sip my beverage. After that I would come up with the conclusion that maybe somebody else might have some good ideas and I would post what the issue seemed to be. Then I would be ready for another nap, after such a hard workout, and wait for a smart ass answer.

You're doing good so far,,, carry on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ragtop69gs said:

Took a ride yesterday and my speedometer is going crazy, the indicator needle is fanning out and sweeping across the gauge face then back to normal, repeat, then the needle just disappears! If I shut the bike off and retry it goes back to normal for a short time.  Where should I start troubleshooting?

If its electronic I would start with checking the road speed sensor for loose or faulty connections. Disconnect the sensor and check resistance across the wires. Most two wire sensors read between 800 and 1800 ohms depending on make You may find the proper number in the spec section of the shop manual. Next with the meter still hooked up but set to AC volts or AC milli volts (the sensor produces an AC voltage signal) slowly start rotating the wheel increasing the speed You should see a steady and smooth climb in voltage as the wheel speeds up and a steady reading if you spin the wheel at a fixed speed. If this all checks out check all connections from sensor to control module to gauge. Last try another gauge if you can get your hands on one.

If its a Mechanical gauge check your speedo cable. If its dry or starting to fray it can spin in an erratic manner causing the gauge to jump all over the place. If it checks out OK and is only dry re-lube it and retest the speedo. If it still acts up try another speedo head.

If its pretty much the end of the ridding season park the bike and maybe over the winter the issue will disappear. :icon_lurker:

Edited by saddlebum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

I would start with a nap! Most of my best thinking is done when I am horizontal. I then would locate a coffee, get a seat close to the scoot and sip my beverage. After that I would come up with the conclusion that maybe somebody else might have some good ideas and I would post what the issue seemed to be. Then I would be ready for another nap, after such a hard workout, and wait for a smart ass answer.

You're doing good so far,,, carry on.

Just saying a NAP is not good enough. For an experienced napper such as yourself that may be all the info that is required but there are a lot of newbies on here and they may require more in depth detail about proper napping or they may mess it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Just saying a NAP is not good enough. For an experienced napper such as yourself that may be all the info that is required but there are a lot of newbies on here and they may require more in depth detail about proper napping or they may mess it up.

I will take that for information and later if I still remember I will post the proper sequence and requirements so that all can enjoy the benefits of the exercise. This could be a strain on the brain so it might take more than 1 nap to get it all worked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As always, Carl has sage advice. I tried as you suggested and that nap produce a nightmare, I awoke in a panic, my scoot in flames! Guess that touching those 2 wires together wasn't the best way to start the diagnosis! Lol

 

Thanks Saddlebum, my bike is an '01 so it has the LCD dash.  I'm hoping that like problems with the sound system I can cure this by just cleaning all the electrical connections from the speed sensor to the display.

 

Videoarizona,  I'll be looking at that also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, saddlebum said:

If its pretty much the end of the ridding season park the bike and maybe over the winter the issue will disappear. :icon_lurker:

No such thing as end of season. We do have a two week down time we call deer season. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...