IGNORED

It's hard to let some things go.....

uncledj

Trying to make room in the garage, and am looking at this old CT110, and think she's gotta go.

This was Dads' bike, ...he bought it new in '81 and to this day it has 831 miles on it.   It sat for a while, so I went over it, put new tires on it and brought it back to life, although it was just a bike I'd use for riding around a friends farm when we'd take the motorhome there for 4th of July and such.

My brother moved down to the lower Fl. Keys and I thought that since I didn't use it much, he may want it to run around Big Pine Key for fishing, or to run to the grocery store or whatever, so I gave it to him.    He had it parked in the garage, and then came Hurricane Irma.   He got the heck out of Dodge and came Back up to Ohio to wait out the storm.   When he was allowed back down, maybe 3 weeks later, the house was still there, although the roof had enough damage to have damage in the home as well.   The garage, which was the ground floor of the house...garage under the house....was subjected to 30" of saltwater for a day or two.   Car in the garage and bike sat in this water,  were moved around the garage a bit...bike was on it's side like that the whole time.   Car and pretty much anything on the floor was totaled.  

When he got back down, he had bigger fish to fry than to worry about this bike, but another week or so into it, he drained the oil and flushed the crankcase with kerosene a couple of times..put fresh oil in it and would kick it over every once in a while just to keep the motor from seizing up.    After a year or so of doing nothing other than an occasional kick to keep the motor free,....the kickstarter snapped something inside the case and no longer turns the engine.   

That's when he asked me if I wanted it back, or if he should trash it.   I took it back, figuring that someday I may try to bring it back, but I'm starting to think the saltwater may have damaged it beyond repair.  It still rolls, but the brakes are seized, and everything is rusted, although early on I coated the whole bike with Fluidfilm.    Needing room in the garage is making me re-prioritize what I need to keep and what to get rid of.   This one's tough 'cause it was Dads, but I think he'd understand.

Next I need to think about my old Yammy TT600 and BMW Funduro 650.

Need to make room and let go of old desires.

CT110.jpg

Edited by uncledj
Spelling
  • Like 1

That's sad.  Those are really cool old bikes.  I bought one a few years ago just out of nostalgia.  Rode it a bit around here but ended up selling it.  Thought when I bought out that my son would take an interest but he never really got into it.  I understand that it's a tough decision for you.  

• Like 1

That is a hard one. But I like Freebirds thoughts. Would dad be happy knowing his scoot is back on road?

And the TT600. Little heavy but a decent off roader. And it's setup for Street which is a requirement for off road bikes in AZ. At least if you want to run the forest roads!

Good luck... Let us know if we can help somehow...

D

Edited by videoarizona
  • Like 1

Keep the memories forever and let the bike go, that's what I would do.   But, to be honest I'm not the most sentimental person when it comes to things & objects after watching one of my brothers lose everything in a home fire some years back. 

It was a custom built log home, that he spent 7 years building, a magnificent place, even featured in a log home magazine once.  It was a complete and total loss, including everything inside, literally a pile of ash.  Well, almost everything.  It still gives me chills - one photo album survived, with photo's of the house being built.  All of us pitched in during the construction years, but Dad spent a lot of time there.  Seeing slightly charred photos of Dad helping place the last log was a real tear jerker for all of us, he had passed away almost exactly 1 year prior to the fire.  If I recall correctly it was exactly 1 year + one week.  Don't quite know what to make of those sorta occurrences in life, but to me the lesson was our things can be gone in an instant, but our memories of good times with the people in our lives are really our most valuable possessions.

Put it on craigslist, tell your story and you will very likely find someone who's excited to get the bike, restore it and make their own memories with it.  I'm willing to bet at the end of the day, you'll feel a great sense of happiness sending it off to its new home and new family.

• Like 1