IGNORED

1967 Yamaha big bear YM2C

s a collectible, a collector isn't going to give $8500 bucks for it...  Those collectors are a cheap bunch...  And if some one is shopping for a nice rider you can pick up a minty RSV for a third of the asking.  It looks like someone poured a bunch of money into something that only he cares about and thinks the amount he spent justifies a big price even if it's half of what he spent...  Almost as bad as a boat...  🙂

Hey, its a bargain compared to this:  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/stockton-1947-indian-chief/7401430116.html

Yeah, @Condor, I hear you.  I would never pay $8500 for a pretty thing to just look at it.  I'd rather have that bike beat up & tired for $500 and ride/wrench on it to my heart's content.   Around here, there are too many people with stupid amounts of money, who like to buy pretty things to show off.  It may take a while, but he'll probably get pretty close to his asking.  I'm seeing running '80's japanese bikes go for $3-4k around here now, not in any kind of restored or show condition.  

Every year both Mecum and Barrett-Jackson have MC auctions in Vegas, and some really nice 'frame off' collections roll across the block.  They do bring strong bucks, but unless it's a pre-1930 and fairly rare they don't bring anywhere near what that guy is asking.  Granted most of the bidders are discerning collectors.  You absolutely right on about folks with more money than brains, but that isn't necessarily exclusive to the rich and famous.  I've been a big fan of auctions for over 40 years, but lately I'm getting buried by the common bidder.  When they start bidding over retail one wonders where common sense has gone.  The good thing is I'm saving a lot of money...  🙂