IGNORED

Noob here and considering the Star Venture!

Hello all, similar post on another forum that only got a few responses.

I’m new here and strongly considering adding the Star Venture to the stable.

I’ve done some LD riding on my Wing (multi time IBR finisher) and some off road stuff on my Tenere. Both of which I plan to keep.

I’m liking the idea of a cruiser that I’ll probably just leave alone and ride. I really like the looks, creature comforts, and luggage capacity. I’ve also never owned a V twin so that would be something new and different.

I’m not really excited about the new Wing with the loss of luggage capacity and weather protection.

The air cooling was a concern but I see the bike is really air/oil cooled due to the rather large oil capacity and the hidden oil radiator.

I’ve seen a few threads of some seemingly random failed top ends. It doesn’t seem endemic but I guess if it’s your bike it doesn’t matter.

For those that have the bike and love it, please let me know all the pros!

Thanks in advance!

You are correct that there haver been a handful of issues regarding the top end.  Yamaha claimed that it was only a few and it was caused by a mistake at the factory of a proper break in lube not applied.  I'm not sure about that but something along those lines.  I actually bought a new Star Venture in '18 and actually loved it.  I never had an issue of any type but I only kept it for about a year and didn't put that many miles on it.  I can tell uyou that it handled great and was a pleasure to ride. I'll admit that it ran hotter than my previous water cooled bikes but I didn't find it to be offensive.  The fact is, I was in the process of starting a new business and a lot of other things and just didn't have time to ride so ended up selling it after a year and only about 1400 miles on it.  I ended up buying a used bike after that due to the fact that I just still can't seem to find the time to ride like I once did.  If I had time though, I would likely own another one.  

Heat is there, yes, but I ended up getting the lower air deflectors (not sure why they didn't just include them like they did the uppers) and that helps, it also helps to deflect the air when riding in cooler weather.  I have close to 24,000 on mine and love it.  It was my first cruiser and V-twin.  I have been a few Harley's before and they were ok, but when I saw this come out I really wanted it.  I went from an FJR to this and tried keeping the FJR but the wife didn't want to ride it any more and I found that when by myself I was right the Venture more than the FJR.  Been to Missouri 3 times on it, Colorado once, plan on more long trips next year . . . as long as we still have fossil fuels to use, lol.  I did add handle bar risers to move them up and back since I'm average height 5'9"-5'10" . . . depending on how much I slouch . . . as far as anything else I added was just under glow lights and a wireless phone charger/holder.  The rest of the bike is stock.  As far as the top end issue I haven't had that experience.  Oh and added a bit bigger of a windshield too.  Have been looking a back rest to add to it, but I don't think it would work for me with my wife on there.  Have debated on buying a second seat to add the back rest too but that is an extra expense that I don't really need to make at the moment.  Hope this helps

20210524_200747.jpg

20210524_200951.jpg

@dragonstorm You're setup almost identical to me except I have the faster red one 😉. I too have 24000 miles and would have much more if not for COVID putting me in a work from home state. I've not had any issues.  I'm in Houston and can tell you in the summer the heat on the top of my thigh from the sun is more than the engine heat.  I just put the lower deflectors on a couple of weeks ago and have noticed only a marginal change in the lower heat. I have a thermal temperature gun that I should put on it.  Maybe next week if I remember. I would like to know what you did for the wireless charging though and I am looking at the Clearview shield. I'm 5'7 on a good day.  The bike is balanced very well and rides/maneuvers great. 

973414624_VentureLegs.png.7e349cb21242ae3e3b2059a0e10fd1cd.png1290041657_IMG_1144(2).thumb.JPG.060dcba479b25c91e9e19919b8bdf880.JPG

14 hours ago, AndyCBR said:

Hello all, similar post on another forum that only got a few responses.

I’m new here and strongly considering adding the Star Venture to the stable.

I’ve done some LD riding on my Wing (multi time IBR finisher) and some off road stuff on my Tenere. Both of which I plan to keep.

I’m liking the idea of a cruiser that I’ll probably just leave alone and ride. I really like the looks, creature comforts, and luggage capacity. I’ve also never owned a V twin so that would be something new and different.

I’m not really excited about the new Wing with the loss of luggage capacity and weather protection.

The air cooling was a concern but I see the bike is really air/oil cooled due to the rather large oil capacity and the hidden oil radiator.

I’ve seen a few threads of some seemingly random failed top ends. It doesn’t seem endemic but I guess if it’s your bike it doesn’t matter.

For those that have the bike and love it, please let me know all the pros!

Thanks in advance!

Had to reach out and call you Andy or I’d be here texting all day! 😁

Pleasure talking with you. I hope the info helped.

4 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

Had to reach out and call you Andy or I’d be here texting all day! 😁

Pleasure talking with you. I hope the info helped.

Thanks man it’s always nice to hear from a long term owner.

I think most of your issues are hopefully “1st year stuff” and it seems in your case Yamaha has taken good care of you (mostly do to a great dealer and tech).

4 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

6 hours ago, bpate4home said:

@dragonstorm You're setup almost identical to me except I have the faster red one 😉. I too have 24000 miles and would have much more if not for COVID putting me in a work from home state. I've not had any issues.  I'm in Houston and can tell you in the summer the heat on the top of my thigh from the sun is more than the engine heat.  I just put the lower deflectors on a couple of weeks ago and have noticed only a marginal change in the lower heat. I have a thermal temperature gun that I should put on it.  Maybe next week if I remember. I would like to know what you did for the wireless charging though and I am looking at the Clearview shield. I'm 5'7 on a good day.  The bike is balanced very well and rides/maneuvers great. 

973414624_VentureLegs.png.7e349cb21242ae3e3b2059a0e10fd1cd.png1290041657_IMG_1144(2).thumb.JPG.060dcba479b25c91e9e19919b8bdf880.JPG

I like it . . . I'm sure the red does make it faster . . . according to the police . . . LOL . . . I'm sure Houston would be a lot warmer with the engine being air cooled.  It did make a bit of difference for me so I was happy.  As far as the wireless charging I used a RAM phone mount . . . https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-A-UN12W-V7M . . . I looked it up to get the link for and I think I just bought the mount itself, I already had a clamp.  I bought it locally and I don't believe it was as much as this . . . then I again it's been a while since I bought it so it may have been or it may have gone up exponentially since then.  I also bought a power distribution module . . . Amplink . . . https://www.powersportsuperstore.com/products/rowe-electronics-9699111-power-distribution-module-amplink?CAWELAID=120009580001735385&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7kFwKEkU9oDy-qMEbeT6VOifm7-Ax-1ixd201jTOKdAznHFIbsZn6gaAiKPEALw_wcB . . . Yes that WAS that expensive.  But I liked it because it was waterproof unlike the other one I bought.  I run my phone, under glow lights and my Sena Freewire receiver in the trunk w/a 2 port 12v outlet.  This way they all shut off when the bike is off.  I'm no longer running the battery down . . .  

• 2 weeks later...

@AndyCBR The SVTC is for sure the best bike that I've owned.  I love everything about the bike.  Even though it is air cooled, the heat emanating is negligible to me.  I especially love the ride quality and handling and power of the bike.  As for maintenance, it looked a little intimidating to me but the more I read and learn about the bike, working on the bike is so much fun.  FWIW, I removed my own tire and reinstalled the wheel all by myself when I picked up a nail a few months ago.  So as a DIYer, this bike is for you if you are into it.  In one occasion, the bike was idling rough and I had to have it towed to the shop for them to look at...their diagnosis/speculation could be just some bad gas and it never occurred again.  To date, it has 8200 miles with no major issues so far.  :icon_lurker: 

This bike performs very well on cold winter days.  The heated seat and grips will make this bike your go to ride in the cold months ahead.