IGNORED

Lake road ride

sleepy2

Went for a 4 hour ride from Port Rowan Ontario to Port Dover Ontario yesterday around 10am. Had coffee at Tim Horton's then rode home. Couldn't call it a Fall Ride as trees weren't turning color yet ! Got back a few hours before it rained.

• Like 4

Over the years past I have often dressed in warm winter clothing found a clear stretch of road and gone out for a ride ...I do know know that a 40 minute ride does good things for the bike charging system , battery and engine gaskets ....I have 3 Yamaha's and the bikes that sit in storage for 4 months over winter and never run are more prone to have oil leaks and electric problems . I might get  a strange look from some people and some even tell me that I am nuts ...I just tell them that's okay I am the one getting a chill or a good cooling  off  

7 hours ago, larrydr said:

Over the years past I have often dressed in warm winter clothing found a clear stretch of road and gone out for a ride ...I do know know that a 40 minute ride does good things for the bike charging system , battery and engine gaskets ....I have 3 Yamaha's and the bikes that sit in storage for 4 months over winter and never run are more prone to have oil leaks and electric problems . I might get  a strange look from some people and some even tell me that I am nuts ...I just tell them that's okay I am the one getting a chill or a good cooling  off  

Don't think you're nuts at all.  When I had bikes in northern Ohio I always tried to go for a short ride every couple of weeks, mainly because I needed the therapy 😀. Pick a day where it's somewhat sunny (it was NE Ohio so few and far between in the winter) dress warm and go ride. When I was in HS it was the only form of transportation I had so I rode snow or shine. Never had problems with the bikes. Here in SE Texas I have found the hard way that my truck is affected by not running. I had a 2003 F150 and because I ride all the time it sits, only about 3000 miles a year are put on it.  It developed a leak at the rear main seal. My mechanic son told me it was probably because it sits so much. Got a buddy who has his own auto shop, said the same. A couple of other mechanics I've ridden with agree. So 4 - 5 mechanics that basically don't know each other all agree. Can't argue too much with that assessment. That truck now has ~160K mi on it and I just sold it to my son who will fix the leak and drive it as a work truck. 

• Like 2

I also enjoy riding in winter as long as the roads are clear and dry. Extra precaution is definitely required since they do sand the roads up here and I am sure the colder temps are not optimum temps for motorcycle tire performance but slip on a snowmobile suit and it it is enjoyable. I have been told more than once I am nuts because its too cold for comfort. Yet many of these same folks spend all day out on their snowmobiles. Do snow mobiles make the outside temp warmer ? Maybe I am not sure I don't ride snowmobiles, one toy is all I can afford, Plus when I go into the woods I prefer to walk  and enjoy the silence versus a noisy machine encroaching on the peacefulness of the woods. Guess I am crazy by today's standards.

• Like 3

I tend to ride all year round, in the winter months the Ural gets out more (mostly because Baloo our sidecar pup needs to go for a spin.  The ST1300 gets out for its rides as well, as long as the roads are clear, I don’t have an issue riding in the colder months, just add another layer.  Most rides will end with a coffee rather then ice cream that time of year.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stickhandle2 said:

I tend to ride all year round, in the winter months the Ural gets out more (mostly because Baloo our sidecar pup needs to go for a spin.  The ST1300 gets out for its rides as well, as long as the roads are clear, I don’t have an issue riding in the colder months, just add another layer.  Most rides will end with a coffee rather then ice cream that time of year.

Mike

What no hot coco.:yikes: I,m not doing any winter riding with you!

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 2

I’m actually looking forward to riding this winter here in northern Utah.  Just bought a set of A Stars winter gloves, and decided my hunting boots should work nicely for my feets.  Got layered insulated pants and recently discovered my lightweight gortex wind shirt fits nicely under my leather jacket for added protection.  Unfortunately my heavyweight leather no longer fits my DadBod.

Bonus is I recently remodeled our office space and I have privacy at my desk to change.

Edited by Pasta Burner
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

I’m actually looking forward to riding this winter here in northern Utah.  Just bought a set of A Stars winter gloves, and decided my hunting boots should work nicely for my feets.  Got layered insulated pants and recently discovered my lightweight gortex wind shirt fits nicely under my leather jacket for added protection.  Unfortunately my heavyweight leather no longer fits my DadBod.

Bonus is I recently remodeled our office space and I have privacy at my desk to change.

If you got a DadBod then you don't need the extra layer......You already gots one ...:rotfl:.....:duck:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Went for coffee 34klm away this afternoon. Was around 4celcius and very windy. Left around 2pm and got back around 4pm. Just started raining about 10min before I rode into garage.  Didn't get too wet but had to blow off water before rain spots set in. 

Just got back from another 3 hour ride ! Took all the curvy roads I could find and stopped by Timmies to have a coffee and conversation with a couple guys who said they were jellous of me! One guy is just getting into bikeing and the other has 8 bikes in different condition.( no Harleys) A few Yamahas and a Triumph .

Took similar ride yesturday and talked to Gold Wing ridder who keeps his bike ready to ride just like me.

• Like 4