IGNORED

Windows 11

saddlebum

I started to assemble networks in 1983 and went through the Microsoft Networking courses in 1998 , worked mostly with server work station systems .  ..... My thinking is that when they moved from the Windows 7 platform to Windows 8 &10  platform , they were aiming at getting their software in the smaller devices instead of the desktop and tower computers ...  When tablets , ipads became popular Microsoft saw a hugh maket opening up .. Unfortunately Windows 8 and 10 gave Microsoft more access to your system .... If you enter the IP address  ..   type  ping  127.0.0.1   and enter key  at Comand prompt  it opens the back door to Windows that is used for updates to Windows   ..  It cannot be closed , and any hacker can access your computer , no matter what Firewall or Antivirus you install 

Edited by larrydr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I seldom use Windows.  I moved to Mac several years ago and couldn't be happier.  That being said, I do have a Microsoft Surface that I have to use for some special software that I use to measure curved stairlifts.  It's running Windows 10 and I haven't even looked to see if the update is available.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuddyRich said:

First you will loose IE. They have said that Edge will have an IE compatibility mode but those things never quite work right. Windows 10 will be around till 25 so don't get in a hurry to upgrade. 

Go get the add in called IE Tab.  Work in a Law Firm and many courts around the country are so far behind it's insane.  This works very well. 

127.0.0.1 is the local loop back for testing basic IP communication using a virtual NIC.  Ping is nothing more than a 'Hello are you there?" tool.  In Windows it does not open a back door.  I have asked everyone who as ever told me about this to prove it. No one has succeeded yet. Any basic Windows Firewall configuration will return a proxy not found with any other tool than ping. Hacking attempt through power shell, C Shell and C Sharp have all failed. The only time you could gain access to 127.0.0.1 was with Windows 95 A.  It was patched in a week. Linux, which is at the core of MAC OS, on the other hand, it can be configured so that it can be accessible using the # Shell environment.  Google it if you want more info.  

MACs and iPhones are getting better with their security but there is a reason Apple is patching every couple of weeks. Their old policy was security through obscurity. No on would attack their systems as the market share was to low to make it worth while. Now that iPhones have the lions share of the telecom market and iPads are the predominant tablet you are seeing them attacked more.  Back in ~2008 during the big Apple show of the year Apple wanted to prove they were secure offering several thousand $$$ to the first 'hacker' to get by their security. One guy did it in 2 minutes. He did the same thing for 4 years running using the same hack.  The 5th year Apple banned him from the competition. iPhones are a necessity for me at work as the Lawyers love them. I like them but could use anything. MACs are a PIA in a large scale windows network environment. They require special setups to be truly secure including the use of NIC (MAC address) level security and reservations.  Too much effort when Certificate Authentication for Hardware is simple with Windows. Heck it's even easier to use Hardware Certificates on printers today than to secure a MAC on a corporate network. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Freebird said:

I seldom use Windows.  I moved to Mac several years ago and couldn't be happier.  That being said, I do have a Microsoft Surface that I have to use for some special software that I use to measure curved stairlifts.  It's running Windows 10 and I haven't even looked to see if the update is available.  

@ Freebird ...My own network Server at home  is build on Windows 7 , and I have tried Windows 10 ..My Server has 6 hard drives where I keep Windows 10 ...Windows 11 info , Myself I prefer  Linux (Ubuntu 20 ) ...I have too much money invested ( $3500.00 ) in my server to run Windows 7 and devices to make the change to Windows 10  or Windows 11 ...For me there there is no benefit to run Windows 10 or Windows 11 on the smaller devices .. ..I know the Windows insider program wants service guys to run the updated Windows ....But I am moving away from the Computer Service Industry ... Let some one else have the headache ..   At 75 years I prefer to spend my time on my 83 Venture  riding down the road ..

• Like 7

Geeze Donnie, we had NO idea you were chasing us Age-wise! At 79 in November, we gain a bit of margin, but we KNOW you're gonna keep coming! Amazing you do this Stuff so well!

Keep the Hammer DOWN, 'Kid'. We truly admire, and APPRECIATE all your efforts!

Humble Rgds, WRIDR

• Like 1

I recently bought a new HP computer because my old Toshiba Satellite is about 10 yrs old and has a few issues.  The new one came with Windows 10 but when I booted it, I was given the option of upgrading to Windows 11.  I chose not to for now.  I only use my computer for the forums and watching youtube videos mostly and paying bills on line.  I do enjoy watching historical videos and auto/truck/motorcycle mechanic videos since I've been a shadetree mechanic all of my life.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, saddlebum said:

So now that the dust has settled more or less with the pros and cons of going to windows 10. Windows 11 is hitting the fan. Anybody have any insight to this latest upgrade?

Computers are like cats... they are nice to have around; but Don't turn your back on them and don't ever trust them.  With that in mind, Windows 11 benefits someone, probably not us.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just got a new laptop... of which I am typing on...... it came with W-11 and I see little difference. Yes no IE but that has been dying a slow death anyway. All the corporate systems that ran on it had been changed to work on almost any platform.  I know new is always the best but I am liking the new computer.

My new computer with Windows 10 did not allow me to load my Office 2007 programs.  It came with Microsoft 365 but you have to pay annually to use office if you choose that option.  The other option which I chose was to go to Best Buy and pay for a one time use of Office that downloads from the internet.  I also bought a portable DVD drive since my new computer did not come with one. They have to keep the money coming in.  They can't let you use what you have already paid for.

10 hours ago, BlueSky said:

My new computer with Windows 10 did not allow me to load my Office 2007 programs.  It came with Microsoft 365 but you have to pay annually to use office if you choose that option.  The other option which I chose was to go to Best Buy and pay for a one time use of Office that downloads from the internet.  I also bought a portable DVD drive since my new computer did not come with one. They have to keep the money coming in.  They can't let you use what you have already paid for.

My current PC with windows 10 loaded Microsoft Office 2007.  Seems they have flushed a update stopping that.  

Now I am not even close to being a computer export as a matter of fact far from it, so the only thing I see when it comes to newer operating systems is fancier more confusing do dads for which I have little use.all I do on the on the internet is email, bank, and sometimes look up info on how to do something I am not familiar with or go on VR to stir the pot, so for me windows 2000 and maybe XP were just fine. From my point of view for the limited amount I use a computer all these upgrades mean to me is more time sitting in front of the computer struggling with another learning curve, I would rather do without preferring to spend my time with more physical activities instead of constantly saying to myself. Now What :yikes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Now I am not even close to being a computer export as a matter of fact far from it, so the only thing I see when it comes to newer operating systems is fancier more confusing do dads for which I have little use.all I do on the on the internet is email, bank, and sometimes look up info on how to do something I am not familiar with or go on VR to stir the pot, so for me windows 2000 and maybe XP were just fine. From my point of view for the limited amount I use a computer all these upgrades mean to me is more time sitting in front of the computer struggling with another learning curve, I would rather do without preferring to spend my time with more physical activities instead of constantly saying to myself. Now What :yikes:

I use my computer primarily for the same things as you, plus I dabble in digital photography but even that does not require the latest & greatest hardware/software for what I do.  I used to work in the tech industry, but I'm at a point where I just like tried/true and simple and don't get as excited about fancy new tech as I once did.

Eventually every computer will either have a hard failure of a component, or planned/forced obsolescence.

In order to roll out new features (many of which are really not needed by most of us) or to address new computer virus/hacking threats, the operating systems are constantly updated.  The updates require more system memory and more processing power, just to functionally turn the computer on and operate.  This leaves less memory and power for doing our basic functions of email, banking, internet and photoshopping, and forces the computer to run at max capacity, drawing more power & generating more heat - which will ultimately lead to its own demise.

Two years ago, I rebuilt an older Mac for my son to do video editing on, upgrading everything to the max.  Adobe just rolled out a new version of SW, which requires the latest version of MacOS.  Unfortunately, those bastards at Apple decided to put some lockout code in their newest OS which prevents it from loading on older computers, such as my son's.  Of course, he can continue using the older version of Adobe and the older OS, but he is a film student and this will eventually be his career, so he will need to pull the plug on that system sooner than later as he really does need the latest & greatest tools available.

I built my current computer from scratch over 10 years ago and spec'd the components at about 10x what I really needed at the time, specifically so that, absent a hard failure, it would not be rendered obsolete by OS upgrades.  I saved a little $ by building it myself, but then put the savings into upgraded parts.

Its still going strong but I haven't upgraded to windows 11 yet. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that my trusty old computer will handle it when that time comes.

• Like 1