IGNORED

I've started wearing a helmet more than

reyesryder

I've started wearing a helmet more than.  The music from the speakers is muted and I have to turn it way up to listen, so I'm considering earbuds or speakers in the helmet instead.  

If any of you do the same, I'm looking for recommendations.  

Also, it is not my intention to start a helmet vs. not discussion, just a music in the helmet query.

I wear a full-face helmet with the visor in the up position, unless its raining, and I just crank it up to where it sounds good to me. At freeway speeds, that's usually ~17-19 with the auto speed adjust set to '5'

This is an interesting option too:  https://domiomotorsports.com/motorsports/

You will obviously need to be set up for BT streaming though.

I ride my VR wearing a 3/4 with full visor.  Has Bluetooth with mic and speakers installed.  For talking to my pillion it’s ok, for music it’s better than nothing but not good.  It’s not a high quality setup, was cheap and fit the bill.  Personally I don’t like having music pumped directly into my ears, never have.  I loose too much of my sensory surroundings.  I replaced the bike speakers in the spring and that made a great improvement.  I just crank up the volume, even with a 3/4 I do notice a difference with the visor up or down.

Guess I'm the oddball here. I installed J&M speakers in my helmets as well as use ear buds. The ear buds do 2 things: 1: They mute the wind and bike noise. 2: They sound 100% better than the speakers. The J&M speakers are top quality and fit inside the helmet perfectly......BUT....the best noise isolating ear buds are always better.

I have hearing issues, so keeping the noise down is important for me. The Ear buds allow me to still hear some noise from outside, and are a great compromise...safety/music. For around town...helmet speakers. On the highway...ear buds.

I use custom ear buds molded for my ears as well as a pair of Etymotic Research ear buds...my favorite for noise isolation. The trouble with that company is they have gone to longer style ear buds that can be uncomfortable under a helmet. My set are older, more compact. Provide excellent isolation and great sound. I've asked them why they don't have any smaller size buds for helmets...and no response. Sad to say. But you get the idea.

Shop around. Take your helmet into Best Buy and try some out.

I use a SENA 20S headset in my FF helmet which only allows BT.  It hooks up to my GPS and phone so I can get directions and music at the same time.  When I was hard wired, I used the J&M headset.  Works fine although not loud enough with earplugs in.

RR

• Like 1

I had some custom jobs from work radios. Heck probably 10 years ago now and with the "discount" Racing Radios gave us my cost was still $130 or 150. For me the in ear monitors work well and the sound quality is pretty darn good. Better than my 150 buck ones.

• 1 month later...

I have full face helmets with built in visors. I keep the main shield open and listen to the music. I plug my iPod into aux port and turn it up when I am on a long ride. Around town it is local radio.  I do now have a Scala talk pac that I can Bluetooth from my phone or tablet.  I have had a couple sets of Cardo Scala sets and like them a lot especially when my wife is riding as well so we can communicate.