IGNORED

Trick to installing throttle cable?

Put the carbs back in the bike over new boots and excited to get her running and back on the road.  I got the return cable installed simple and easy but the twist grip cable to the carb I just can’t get the barrel on the end to sit into its housing right.  Grabbing the cable with some pliers at the tube exit and using some leverage against the carb frame provided some necessary slack to get the cable through the guide but not enough to position the barrel right.  After much trying and different pliers I started to fray the cable pretty bad, I’ll replace it this winter.  What’s the trick!!?!

I've never worked on the cables with the Cruise Control system, but on the standard, loosen all the adjusters, manually open the carb throttle linkage at the carbs and install the barrel. I think I remember actually installing the cables with the carb bank in place but not mounted to allow a little movement for finageling the cable end into place. 

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1

Put the carbs in place so that they are still half hanging out of position, so just safely kind of sitting there ready to go further into the bike. Now hook the cables being sure that the return cable is on the inside of the rod with the plastic bushing on it. Once hooked, move the carbs in place.

• Like 1

Ugh I still can’t get it right.  Initially did not have the carbs seated figuring the extra play would help.  Gonna replace the cable over the winter anyways cause I frayed it so bad.  Hopefully these suggestions will work with the new one.

Edited by Pasta Burner